Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Latest official update, posted by BA refund helper on 16 August (post no 579)

Historic wiki updates:
There seems to be some confusion over the ‘vouchers’ for future travel so here is some clarity in the hope it proves helpful to others.

The ‘voucher number’ will be the customer’s existing ticket number. The process is no different to putting a booking on hold for medical reasons and the existing booking will be reused for future travel, with the ticket reissued following payment of any difference in fare. This is why it takes so long to receive confirmation as someone has to manually go into each booking (as you’ll imagine there are a lot!), remove the live flights, hold in a ghost flight and send the confirmation email to the customer. It is not an eVoucher that you would enter into ba.com for a discount off a brand new booking and new travel arrangements should NOT be made in this way.

Similarly, customers should NOT cancel their own bookings at any point in the voucher process. This will invalidate any eligibility for the voucher and process a fare rules refund.

When ready to rebook (and once the lines are a lot quieter!) customers will need to call to be rebooked as there is no facility to do this online at all and anything done online in this manner will be at the customer’s own expense since you won't be able to deploy the eVoucher's funds. The voucher is valid for travel completed (both outbound and inbound) by 30th April 2021.

There is no telephone service charge for using the eVoucher, you have to call up, but you won't have to pay an extra fee to make the booking in this scenario.
Print Wikipost

Rebooking with e-voucher

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 4:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sl1ppy
I currently have an Amex 241 booking 02/08-09/08 LGW-PMI in CE (I know it's a waste but wasn't going to used otherwise). Am I correct in thinking I can take a voucher and apply this directly to LHR-PMI for the same dates?
are your existing flights cancelled? If so you can just phone and get moved across without going via a FTV and regardless of whether there is reward availability.

if they are not cancelled then the only advantage of going via a FTV if you want to rebook for the same dates would be that you would avoid the £35 per person cancellation fee, but you would need reward availability on the new flights.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
are your existing flights cancelled? If so you can just phone and get moved across without going via a FTV and regardless of whether there is reward availability.

if they are not cancelled then the only advantage of going via a FTV if you want to rebook for the same dates would be that you would avoid the £35 per person cancellation fee, but you would need reward availability on the new flights.
Thanks for the reply. Realised I got the dates wrong, it's 02/09-09/09. There's is no longer reward availability on 02/09 so I assume the ftv would be the way to go?
Old Jun 29, 2020, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by sl1ppy
Thanks for the reply. Realised I got the dates wrong, it's 02/09-09/09. There's is no longer reward availability on 02/09 so I assume the ftv would be the way to go?
ok. no, if you went via a ftv you will need reward space on any new flights you want to change to.

the way you don't need reward availability is if one or more of the flights in your existing booking get's cancelled. if that happens you can book for any date within ticket validity (so up to a year from when you originally booked) and you don't need reward availability. as long as there is space in CE on the flight you can rebook for the new flights.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
ok. no, if you went via a ftv you will need reward space on any new flights you want to change to.

the way you don't need reward availability is if one or more of the flights in your existing booking get's cancelled. if that happens you can book for any date within ticket validity (so up to a year from when you originally booked) and you don't need reward availability. as long as there is space in CE on the flight you can rebook for the new flights.
Many thanks for the help. I guess I'll sit tight and hope that LGW does indeed open, or the flights get cancelled while there's still LHR availability.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
We've just had August BH weekend reward flights cancelled and this is the first time I've looked into re-scheduling a redemption. I assumed I would have to call but it looks like there are online change options - but that only shows dates up to 355 days from today - is it actually possible to slip the flights by a year eg to the same weekend next year?
Old Jun 29, 2020, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
We've just had August BH weekend reward flights cancelled and this is the first time I've looked into re-scheduling a redemption. I assumed I would have to call but it looks like there are online change options - but that only shows dates up to 355 days from today - is it actually possible to slip the flights by a year eg to the same weekend next year?
not atm. Ba only releases flights 355 days in advance so if you wanted to pick a specific date next year beyond the 355 you would have to wait until it was released.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
not atm. Ba only releases flights 355 days in advance so if you wanted to pick a specific date next year beyond the 355 you would have to wait until it was released.
Ok - but that would have to be done after the original date of the flight - is that even possible?

It's not really a biggie, and we can refund and rebook, but I already see redemptions next year costing more avios than we paid for this one - so it would represent a (small but satisfying) saving if it could be done.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Ok - but that would have to be done after the original date of the flight - is that even possible?

It's not really a biggie, and we can refund and rebook, but I already see redemptions next year costing more avios than we paid for this one - so it would represent a (small but satisfying) saving if it could be done.
I couldn't rebook the first leg more than 365 days after ticket was issued. So in that case you'll likely need a refund and rebook separately option. Worth asking tho, you never know
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:35 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Somewhat annoyed as I thought I was doing BA a favour by taking a "voucher" back in March. It seems I did them a bigger favour than I expected! Of course I had limited choice as this was a time when you could not get through on the phone and would have to try and turn off cookies in your browser to be able to get a refund. I, and likely most people, (CWS and Karfa excluded), didn't realise that this is not a "voucher" but a retention of the existing booking which means changing the flight rather than using the money.

Roll forward to today and I was told I could not use the £460 from "voucher" I have to pay for some of the Avios booking I am making.

The bonus is we have managed to re-book for the same weeks next June as we had cancelled on us for earlier this month but I still have a £460 voucher that will be tricky to use as it can only be used for another cash booking.

I have now been through the whole thread and understand why but feel it is very mis-leading of BA to call these "vouchers". This is more of a rant than anything but I do have a question:

I can't find the T&C's that relate to the whole voucher process. Everything I can find is FAQ's and does not stipulate how the "voucher" can be used. Is there a link to the BA T&C's for the vouchers that I can check out - apologies if I missed it in the above but I did read the WHOLE thing end to end so may have just become blind to some info?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:51 am

Right am a tad confused on this. I got vouchers for a flight that BA cancelled back in April. Used them to book a different flight- added a few ££ price difference when phoning. Now its looking ex trememly likely that my flight i booked with voucher will also be cancelled. Can i get a cash refund or is it a case of having to accept voucer. All flights concerned are involuntary cancellations
Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Soft Top
I can't find the T&C's that relate to the whole voucher process. Everything I can find is FAQ's and does not stipulate how the "voucher" can be used. Is there a link to the BA T&C's for the vouchers that I can check out - apologies if I missed it in the above but I did read the WHOLE thing end to end so may have just become blind to some info?
No, I don't think I've seen conventional Ts and Cs for the vouchers either, which is unfortunate and puts BA in potential legal jeopardy. There are FAQs, and general wording, and some aspects are well known (e.g. that the "voucher" is not transferable). But unusually for BA there isn't a set of T&Cs. There are various policy statements out there though, here is one chunk that may be useful to some.

Originally Posted by BA Trade
• Ability to change the date & routing (origin & destination) regardless of whether travel has commenced. If new fare and taxes are higher, the customer will need to pay the difference. If the new fare and taxes are lower, an EMD must be issued for the difference which can then be used as part payment for further travel o Any associated ancillaries to the original ticket will be carried forward to the new travel dates with the exception of any prepaid excess baggage (XBAG) or pre-paid meals which must be refunded as non-transferrable. Customer will need to purchase XBAG or pre-paid meal online if still required on new journey

• Waiver of change fee ATPCo has designed a solution called ‘Emergency Flexibility for Voluntary Changes and Refunds’. This allows airlines to apply more flexible changes and/or refund conditions to the original fare rules which, at time of ticket issuance, would have been more restricted. Although airlines fare rules will still display the original fare rule conditions in the GDS, the more flexible conditions will be applied provided the ticket presented for change or refund falls within the airlines’ flexible policy. BA has implemented the Emergency Flexibility solution to all our fare products, published and private. This will improve efficiencies in terms of servicing using the GDS Automated Changes functionality This solution does not extend to refund conditions which are as per the original ticketed fare

• The ability to retain the unused value of their ticket towards future travel as credit.
o The total value is carried forward. This includes the fare, taxes, fees & charges which appear on the original ticket
o Customers opting for ‘credit’ are effectively forfeiting the T&Cs of the original ticket and are accepting a new offer as ‘credit’ for future travel which is non refundable
o Confirmation of opting for ‘credit’ applies once the booking is modified with the relevant process steps outlined in this policy
o New travel must be completed (outbound & inbound) by 30th April 2022.
o The customer must retain their ticket number and quote this when they are ready to make a new booking

Originally Posted by Soft Top
This is more of a rant than anything but I do have a question:

Hi. There are some FAQs on this page at the bottom under the Ready to redeem your voucher? and Voucher information tabs, although they don't deal with every type of situation like your example.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...clickpage=HOME
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I had a flight cancelled, I requested a voucher, later on booked a new flight with that voucher.

When I booked the new flight with the voucher I never received email confirmation but it was showing in MMB correctly and in the app both the original booking reappeared and the new flights.

The new flights were slightly cheaper than the original flights and I received the refund of the difference to my Amex.

Now the newly arranged flights are cancelled so I requested another voucher and the email that arrived (very quickly) now lists two e-ticket numbers. Looking at QF MMB it's back to listing the Mont Joli flight but I can't see where e-ticket numbers would be specified.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Sam Lewis
Right am a tad confused on this. I got vouchers for a flight that BA cancelled back in April. Used them to book a different flight- added a few ££ price difference when phoning. Now its looking ex trememly likely that my flight i booked with voucher will also be cancelled. Can i get a cash refund or is it a case of having to accept voucer. All flights concerned are involuntary cancellations
according to the BA travel trade guidelines for FTVs if your new flights are cancelled you are able to request a full refund

What if the new flight subsequently cancels?
• Standard customer guidelines apply and any unused coupons will be fully refundable to the original form of payment
Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sam Lewis
You can rebook, get another FTV or get a refund to the original form of payment.
Sam Lewis likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.