Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

India essentially closing its borders for a month

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

India essentially closing its borders for a month

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
For info, the duty manager here at JFK offered me a cancellation and full refund for my trip.
Duty manager must have used their discretion as refund is not part of the official policy . Good result for you .
Your status probably helped.

Last edited by cbagent; Mar 11, 2020 at 5:19 pm Reason: addition
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
Presumably with a total restriction on foreign nationals entering India from 12:00 GMT local time on 13th March BA would need to cancel all flights to / from India effective immediately?

https://in.reuters.com/article/healt...-idINKBN20Y16K

It also urged Indian nationals to avoid all non-essential travel abroad, in one of the most far-reaching advisories since the outbreak began in late December.”

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

9. All visa and e-visa are invalidated.

- This does not apply to diplomatic, official, UN/International Organizations, employment, project visas.

10. Passengers with an OCI card are no longer visa exempt to India.
Now, on to more important matters...

HarryKUK thank you for posting this information. If I had not seen it on FlyerTalk I would have been headed to London tonight unaware of this. You did me a great service by taking the time to post. Much appreciated. I owe you a large beverage of your choice!
antichef, LTN Phobia, :D! and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cbagent
Duty manager must have used their discretion as refund is not part of the official policy . Good result for you .
What are you talking about? A flight cancellation without a rescheduling option for nearly a month would lead to a refund via virtually any airline’s CoC.

In fact the customer can choose to rebook or refund. Depending on the airline, fare rules, and waiver updates as this India news reverberates, passengers could decide which option they want even after initially scheduled flight departure.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I think I got lucky as I don’t think she was aware of my status? It wasn’t mentioned and she wasn’t in front of a machine just wrote down my pnr and name on a piece of paper.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:24 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
What are you talking about? A flight cancellation without a rescheduling option for nearly a month would lead to a refund via virtually any airline’s CoC.

In fact the customer can choose to rebook or refund. Depending on the airline, fare rules, and waiver updates as this India news reverberates, passengers could decide which option they want even after initially scheduled flight departure.
Flights are not cancelled (yet).
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:25 pm

The flight is NOT cancelled. This is to do with entry restrictions imposed by the Indian authorities.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:27 pm

I think I got lucky as I don’t think she was aware of my status? It wasn’t mentioned and she wasn’t in front of a machine just wrote down my pnr and name on a piece of paper.
Could indeed be just luck then! either way a satisfactory outcome.
golfmad likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:32 pm

Policy now issued for travel to India.
Briefly, for tickets issued for travel up to and including 14 April 2020 can rebook to travel up to and including 31 May 2020.
Really thank you and will we have to pay the extra? I am so sorry to hear about the honeymooners but hope it all gets sorted and that they have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by CharlotteC
Really thank you and will we have to pay the extra? I am so sorry to hear about the honeymooners but hope it all gets sorted and that they have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon
No change fees will be payable. Rebooking will be subject to availability in the same cabin.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:42 pm

No change fees will be payable. Rebooking will be subject to availability in the same cabin.
Thank you! Fingers crossed! It has been a really tricky year and I was counting the days until next Saturday and wanted to avoid being here over Mother’s Day. How do I go ahead and rebook?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

If the flight is cancelled, the passenger would have the option of a full refund both under the COC and EC 261/2004. But, this flight apparently is not cancelled.

This is one reason why people who are ticketed further into the future should wait a bit. I suspect that almost all commercial air service to India will be cancelled and that will mean refunds.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I would contact your insurance company for advice.
Virtually all travel and trip cancellation insurance excludes pandemics/epidemics, at least that sold in the USA. That was recently highlighted in an article from Consumer Checkbook as yet another reason why this type of insurance is almost always a waste of money.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Virtually all travel and trip cancellation insurance excludes pandemics/epidemics, at least that sold in the USA. That was recently highlighted in an article from Consumer Checkbook as yet another reason why this type of insurance is almost always a waste of money.
Agree. But at least earlier this week the Amex Plat folks said their insurance would cover changes due to Covid.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The India visa suspension begins March 13 at 12:00 p.m. local time at the port of departure. Now will Europe-US banned for 30 days too, there will be fewer options to get back to US.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Now, on to more important matters...

HarryKUK thank you for posting this information. If I had not seen it on FlyerTalk I would have been headed to London tonight unaware of this. You did me a great service by taking the time to post. Much appreciated. I owe you a large beverage of your choice!
No worries - maybe you can provide some advice in return!

I’m currently working in Thailand and don’t want to be stuck here - was planning to fly home to the UK for Easter on April 5 but I’m worried a ban could be placed by either side. I can request unpaid leave and leave sooner, or just wait for April 5th as planned and take my normal annual leave? What would you do??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.