Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

India essentially closing its borders for a month

India essentially closing its borders for a month

Old Mar 11, 20, 2:29 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangkok / London
Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club
Posts: 1,004
India essentially closing its borders for a month

Presumably with a total restriction on foreign nationals entering India from 12:00 GMT local time on 13th March BA would need to cancel all flights to / from India effective immediately?


https://in.reuters.com/article/healt...-idINKBN20Y16K

ďIt also urged Indian nationals to avoid all non-essential travel abroad, in one of the most far-reaching advisories since the outbreak began in late December.Ē

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

9. All visa and e-visa are invalidated.

- This does not apply to diplomatic, official, UN/International Organizations, employment, project visas.

10. Passengers with an OCI card are no longer visa exempt to India.

Last edited by HarryKUK; Mar 11, 20 at 2:34 pm
HarryKUK is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 2:39 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 841
I have my honeymoon booked in India and then Mauritius departing March 27th. Going from the UK, visiting Mumbai, Agra, Jaipur, Amristar, Shimla. What do I do? How can I claim any money back for anything on this trip?
pred02 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 2:57 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 15,869
I would contact your insurance company for advice.
Can I help you is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 3:11 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 579
I am supposed to be flying to Mumbai on 21 March and ideally would love to reschedule for April (Iím flying out in first and back in j) but donít want to incur too many extra costs as it was a treat after an awful year. I appreciate the Indian government are protecting their citizens. Please can anybody give me any advice. Thanks
CharlotteC is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 4:03 pm
  #5  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 9,631
Well this is going to be interesting. I'm currently on my way to India from JFK via LHR. I'll arrive on the 13th March at 5am local time which is 11:30pm GMT on the 12th. Technically this should be prior to the start of the restrictions.
golfmad is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 4:18 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangkok / London
Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club
Posts: 1,004
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Well this is going to be interesting. I'm currently on my way to India from JFK via LHR. I'll arrive on the 13th March at 5am local time which is 11:30pm GMT on the 12th. Technically this should be prior to the start of the restrictions.
Are you hoping to exit India within 30 days of arriving? Iím presuming a drop in demand would mean flights stop operating into / out of India? Best wishes whatever your plans are.
HarryKUK is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 4:21 pm
  #7  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 9,631
Originally Posted by HarryKUK View Post
Are you hoping to exit India within 30 days of arriving? Iím presuming a drop in demand would mean flights stop operating into / out of India? Best wishes whatever your plans are.
I am supposed to be there for work returning in a week (Thursday 19th). I'm currently working away in the AA Flagship lounge at JFK but will head over to T7 now and see what's what. It's perhaps finally time to abandon the trip.
golfmad is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 4:33 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 601
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
I am supposed to be there for work returning in a week (Thursday 19th). I'm currently working away in the AA Flagship lounge at JFK but will head over to T7 now and see what's what. It's perhaps finally time to abandon the trip.
If you have an "employment visa" you will apparently be allowed to enter India. (the other group are diplomatic passports)
ft4lyf is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 4:36 pm
  #9  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 9,631
Originally Posted by ft4lyf View Post
If you have an "employment visa" you will apparently be allowed to enter India. (the other group are diplomatic passports)
I am not concerned about getting in but getting back!!

My ebusiness Visa will still work on the way in.
golfmad is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 4:44 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 601
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
I am not concerned about getting in but getting back!!

My ebusiness Visa will still work on the way in.
Ok good luck!
ft4lyf is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 4:56 pm
  #11  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 9,631
Originally Posted by ft4lyf View Post
Ok good luck!
Thanks. Iíve canceled it and am heading home to FL.

In other news tonight is apparently the last night for the LCY service from JFK for the foreseeable future.
golfmad is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 5:00 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 601
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Thanks. Iíve canceled it and am heading home to FL.

In other news tonight is apparently the last night for the LCY service from JFK for the foreseeable future.
Dang.
But, at least you now know you can be at home...without getting quarantined in a foreign country.
ft4lyf is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 5:00 pm
  #13  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 9,631
Originally Posted by ft4lyf View Post
Dang.
But, at least you now know you can be at home...without getting quarantined in a foreign country.
Indeed
golfmad is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 5:11 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 524
Policy now issued for travel to India.
Briefly, for tickets issued for travel up to and including 14 April 2020 can rebook to travel up to and including 31 May 2020.
cbagent is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 5:13 pm
  #15  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 9,631
Originally Posted by cbagent View Post
Policy now issued for travel to India.
Briefly, for tickets issued for travel up to and including 14 April 2020 can rebook to travel up to and including 31 May 2020.
For info, the duty manager here at JFK offered me a cancellation and full refund for my trip.
mjh0 and TTmex like this.
golfmad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: