Search

Flying with a ESA (Dog) LHR-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flying with a ESA (Dog) LHR-LAX

Hey gang,

My wife has an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), our dog and we will be going to LAX on BA283 in a couple of weeks. BA have been incredibly supportive and helpful. We will be flying J and I just wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience flying with a dog long haul? Any tips/advice from owners regarding the welfare of the dog?

Thanks,

Gaz
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Make sure he has a long walk before you board
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:40 am

I thought only guide and service dogs were allowed in the cabin...
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:48 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I didn’t think ba played the “ emotional support Animal” game.

I would be mortified to find a dog in a plane other than a guide dog. Others of course may have a different view.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was listening to Jason Manford on Absolute 80s.

He was talking about Emotional Support Animals and said about AA who had an ESA horse in First class on a flight. (Had a check and AA allow ESA Cats, Dogs & Horses)

On BA Help page (They only allow ESA Dogs):Emotional support dogs can only be accepted in the cabin on direct flights to or from the United States of America. If your journey is not to or from the USA, or includes a connection onto a non-USA flight, your emotional support dog will need to travel in the hold.

You need to contact us at least 14 days before your flight, as we need additional information to ensure your emotional support dog can travel safely in the cabin.

Also, you must contact the UK Animal Reception Centre at least 72 hours prior to the scheduled departure of your flight to the UK to check your dog meets Pet Travel Scheme requirements. They will issue a pre-approval letter for UK entry that must be presented at check-in, along with your approval from us, for you and your dog to be allowed to board your flight to the UK.
simoflyer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:53 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
I didn’t think ba played the “ emotional support Animal” game.

I would be mortified to find a dog in a plane other than a guide dog. Others of course may have a different view.
I couldn't agree more. Ridiculous situation that has got completely out of hand
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:55 am
Suspended

Only guide dogs are allowed not sure who is dealing with the request at ba but j would be double checking this as they normally aren't allowed on board
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:56 am

How does that work if a passenger in the cabin has an allergy related to dogs or cats?

I agree that the situation in the US has got out of hand and the situation with the horse compounds that view.
bchandler02 and SHT88T like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by passy777
How does that work if a passenger in the cabin has an allergy related to dogs or cats?

I agree that the situation in the US has got out of hand and the situation with the horse compounds that view.
I believe that until recently the solution has been to put the passenger with the allergy on a later flight. It seems there is beginning to be some push back on ESAs in general - what with horses and peacocks trying to board - so I don't know if that's changed to a more sensible policy.
passy777 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC
A bit of a tangent, but how could a horse be secured for take off, landing and turbulence in the cabin normally configured for passengers?
T8191 and alvinlwh like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
Can't you, her husband, give her emotional support during the flight? Just askin'.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:35 am

removed off-topic comment

Last edited by stuvoi; Mar 9, 2020 at 3:13 am Reason: removed off-topic comment :)
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:39 am

Can I bring my screaming goat on board?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Can I bring my screaming goat on board?
They're not on the list, so no, sorry, you have to leave it at checkin
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:57 am

Back on topic, you need to be direct flight to the US, tell BA 2 weeks in advance, and they need to be happy for the dog to fly.

Dogs only. No horses.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ling-with-pets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.