Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with a ESA (Dog) LHR-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by jeremyBA
I didn’t think ba played the “ emotional support Animal” game.

I would be mortified to find a dog in a plane other than a guide dog. Others of course may have a different view.
Wonder if airlines are required to allow ESA's to the USA. Recently flew Norwegian and SAS with dog (different carriers each way) and had to read the rules regarding that. Dog was slightly over the weight limit, so could not bring it on board, unless it was an ESA of some sort traveling to or from the USA. Think both carriers said that, allowed to/from the USA, but nowhere else. Otherwise, if over the limit, had to be in the cargo hold.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
I didn’t think ba played the “ emotional support Animal” game.

I would be mortified to find a dog in a plane other than a guide dog. Others of course may have a different view.
I'd be "A dog, brilliant....., oh, there's people "
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
JFK and LAX security are full of ESAs. Mainly small dogs but I have seen cats and a rabbit. USA gone mad(er) I think there is a special lane at jfk, over on the far right.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
This ESA nonsense really puts me off flying in the US. I really hope BA doesn't succumb to this contagion and reverses allowing ESA - dogs on long haul flights. Genuine seeing/guide dogs of course are fine.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by passy777
It doesn’t look like a very stable environment to me.......oh wait......

"If you are seated at a bulkhead or in an emergency exit row, the floor area around your seat must be completely clear for taxi, take-off and landing"
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
I am not a fan of Dogs in the cabin but understand that is not for me to decide.

LHR LAX is a long flight. Surely it makes more sense to break the journey at JFK or PHL out of consideration to the Dog and others?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:51 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I sincerely hope that one day BA does exactly as the same as Air France, Iberia, and Lufthansa so. That is to allow dogs or cats of under 5 or 6 kilos together with their travel box on flights with their owners. Why this service is not offered I cannot tell. You are not allowed to let the animal,out of the box and they usually allow only 2 per flight.

As for ESA animals, I do not know how you prove that any animal is an ESA unless it is with a Doctors letter.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Speedbird676
"If you are seated at a bulkhead or in an emergency exit row, the floor area around your seat must be completely clear for taxi, take-off and landing"
This is what I don't get. A stray blanket could impede an emergency evacuation, but a small horse is perfectly OK.

A flying laptop could kill somebody, but a flying labrador is perfectly fine.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
As for ESA animals, I do not know how you prove that any animal is an ESA unless it is with a Doctors letter.
You need an ESA certificate in the US. Fakes can be bought online very easily...
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
This is what I don't get. A stray blanket could impede an emergency evacuation, but a small horse is perfectly OK.

If my way off this mortal coil is courtesy of a high velocity flying labrador, I can think think of several worse ways to go!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

Yes I was wondering that. Also in the event of a emergency evacuation a panicking animal I can well imaging causing a significant hazard.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
"Please remove high-heeled shoes and claws as they may tear the slide"
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
"Please remove high-heeled shoes and claws as they may tear the slide"
Hooves are ok!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:05 am

It is not just guide dogs that are allowed anyware its service dogs. (in the USA minature horses are allowed) also service monkeys in some regions
These are the reconised service dogs categarys (there might be more)
Hearing dogs
Mobilty assistance dogs
Diabetic alert dogs
Seizure alert dogs
Seizure responce dogs
Psychiatric service dogs
Autism support dogs
FASD service dog (Fetal alcohol spectrum)
Allergy detection dog

Service dogs for veterans (PTSD)

Other kinds of working dogs, including therapy dogs and emotional support dogs are not classified as types of service dogs as they’re not trained to perform a specific task to help their handlers. In most jurisdictions, these kinds of dogs are not afforded the same privileges as service dogs.

However after all that ESD can do a great job if they are actually really trained and not just a family pet that a Dr has signed a form for. Service annimals often cost arount $40k+ to train and if there owner travels they will be trained for flights.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:13 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
/Mod hat on

The OP has come here seeking advice, not judgment. Please bear that in mind when responding. Personal opinions on the need or otherwise of ESAs are not particularly helpful here.

/Mod hat off

@Gaz1a, I don't think we're ever going to be able to claim - at least judging from the responses thus far - that there is a massive amount of expertise here. That said, perhaps you might let us know what breed of dog you'd like to take in the cabin. The arrangements/manageability for a poodle are going to be significantly different to that of an Alsatian, and it would help formulate responses for the Club cabin if we understood the size of the animal.
wanderingjock likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.