Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with a ESA (Dog) LHR-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
It has to be said that the USA has it's own [and often idiosyncratic] perspectives on these subjects.

I'll avoid throwing any personal perspectives into the discussion.

Look at the facilities in the Terminal corridors at PHL ...

Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Speedbird676
Hooves are ok!
At least your grammar is correct - the number of times you see the plural of such words spelled incorrectly ...
Speedbird676 likes this.

Last edited by babats; Mar 9, 2020 at 7:43 am
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by babats
At least your grammar is correcl - the number of times you see the plural of such words spelled incorrectly ...
But your spelling isn't.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I sincerely hope that one day BA does exactly as the same as Air France, Iberia, and Lufthansa so. That is to allow dogs or cats of under 5 or 6 kilos together with their travel box on flights with their owners. Why this service is not offered I cannot tell. You are not allowed to let the animal,out of the box and they usually allow only 2 per flight.

As for ESA animals, I do not know how you prove that any animal is an ESA unless it is with a Doctors letter.
That's mostly a matter of UK law: pets need to arrive as cargo on an approved route unless they're recognized as guide/assistance dogs (and it appears, ESAs from USA) so if they know that they'll never carry small pets in-cabin on circa 50% of their international flights, why bother offering the service on any flight?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
At least your grammar is correcl - the number of times you see the plural of such words spelled incorrectly ...
What do you mean by "such words"? The only word I can think of like hoof is roof, and its plural is roofs...

And shouldn't that be spelt incorrectly?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
What do you mean by "such words"? The only word I can think of like hoof is roof, and its plural is roofs...

Plural of roof is rooves - at least it was when I went to school
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
But your spelling isn't.
Cheers - now corrected
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
A flying laptop could kill somebody, but a flying labrador is perfectly fine.
I can see the story now. Complete with the obligatory picture of an Airbus A319 landing at Gatwick of course.

When dogs fly

An Essex couple was seriously injured on a British Airways flight last Thursday, when returning home from their honeymoon in California. In a strange twist of events they ended up in the Canadian arctic instead of their Chelmsford home. While flying over Canada flight BA280 from Los Angeles to London's Heathrow airport experienced strong turbulence, which sent an unrestrained black labrador flying through the cabin at break-neck speed and into the back of the head of the man sitting several rows in front. The panicked pup fell into his lap and severely scratched both him and his bride who was sitting next to him. A doctor present on board diagnosed the groom with a severe concussion and treated their scratches. Due to the medical emergency the flight diverted to Goose Bay, Labrador where emergency services met the plane and took the newlyweds to a nearby hospital. The dazed husband was cleared for internal bleeding but kept for observation in case his condition deteriorated. Four days later he was cleared to fly again, and they both safely returned home yesterday on an Air Canada flight. A British Airways representative told us they stayed in contact with the couple throughout and have credited each with 5000 Avios they can use toward their next trip as a customer service gesture. The labrador was reported to be fine if a little shaken up, but reportedly did not care one bit for his ancestral homeland.
On a serious note, good luck with your endeavour OP, taking care of a dog on a busy 10h flight does not seem at all easy.
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA has chosen to permit ESA's on flights to/from the USA under policies much more "liberal" than those required by the US DOT and implemented by other carriers such as AA. DOT has proposed new rules which would vastly curtail ESA accommodations and require that they meet the strict requirements of a service animal. But, those rules, if issued, are likely at least a year away.

One can't criticize -- or ought not to criticize -- OP for taking advantage of the particularly generous conditions offered by BA.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Misco60

Well there's thief, knife, wolf, wife, life, leaf to name a few
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Allowing animals on planes is not good hygienic practice.
They are not toilet-trained and could be full of fleas.
But I expect you could say that of some passengers...
DYKWIA and LiHS like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Plural of roof is rooves - at least it was when I went to school
I'm sorry, Parliament have rejected your request.
LiHS likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Wiki offers an interesting, if slightly long, read on the subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_support_animal
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Oh wow this has blown up. Do you folks not have day jobs? But seriously, thanks to everyone for your responses, feedback and advice. I'm all for banter, so for those of you who have been judging, or criticising the policy... erm yes sorry it's upset you so much

For those interested, it's a pretty thorough process. Our small dog, a cavapoo called Frida (she's under 6kg) is fully trained and hypoallergic and has all the relevant certifications required for the flight. BA was incredible in their response and worked directly (via phone) with the trainer to make sure everything is set for the flight. I spoke to the J cabin staff on my last flight and they said it's more common than we think, and small dogs usually with a specific harness (similar to a guide dog) sit on the laps of a passenger and/or on the floor. Additionally, BA work with your vet and relevant authorities to ensure the animal has all the relevant up to date jabs/vaccinations etc - no fleas too! To be honest, we have been impressed immensely by the service, it's our first time travelling together and this has helped us out a lot. Not that it was an option for us, but BA does not allow pets in the hold anymore because there were a few recent deaths so they stopped in January of this year supposedly.

Back to my post... it was merely to find out if anyone had flown with a dog in a cabin and if they had any advice. It seems we have to check in first with Heathrow, and then be guided through security etc. We are just confirming with Heathrow on where to go. Then yes there are relief stations and the dog is supposedly allowed into the lounge (that's probably going to piss off a lot of you on here haha). I don't think we will be going in anyway but it was useful to note. I think yeah, thanks to those who suggested the long walk - and we will be restricting food the day before and probably asking for ice cubes so that Frida can keep hydrated. We have no intentions of letting the dog roam around the cabin, she's well trained enough to hold it. I've also been given the advice that if all else fails, you put dog toilet pads down on the floor of the loos and they can go there. I doubt it will come to that.

Thanks again guys - I'm actually really impressed by the intrigue and interest. Wish us luck, we're actually really excited to be able to travel together!
Prospero, DYKWIA, HIDDY and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Thanks for the follow-up Gaz1a. We own two black labs (failed guide dogs), and whilst we've never contemplated any air travel with them (hold or seated) it's been interesting following this thread

Best of luck with your travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.