Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with a ESA (Dog) LHR-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by Gaz1a
Hey gang,

My wife has an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), our dog and we will be going to LAX on BA283 in a couple of weeks. BA have been incredibly supportive and helpful. We will be flying J and I just wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience flying with a dog long haul? Any tips/advice from owners regarding the welfare of the dog?

Thanks,

Gaz
I was on an AA LHR/JFK last year, and there was a youngish woman travelling with a labrador. I only saw them at the end of the flight, waiting to be first off and through the door. They took off at the run down the passageways towards immigration. No idea what category the dog fitted in.

LHR/LAX is a lot longer flight than LHR/JFK. That would be my worry in your place.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Thanks again guys - I'm actually really impressed by the intrigue and interest. Wish us luck, we're actually really excited to be able to travel together!
Sorry that we've been completely useless at answering your actual query, but hopefully you were suitably entertained.

Good luck!

PS: Take the dog to the lounge.
wrp96, LiHS, HighwayToHEL and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
. I've also been given the advice that if all else fails, you put dog toilet pads down on the floor of the loos and they can go there. I doubt it will come to that.
A reason, if ever one was needed, to always wear shoes to the lav.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold

and the dog is supposedly allowed into the lounge (that's probably going to piss off a lot of you on here haha). I don't think we will be going in anyway but it was useful to note.
I’m sure your dog would be much better behaved than many other users of the lounge.

Good luck with the trip - and report back on how it went.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:08 am

You should be fine.

I haven't flown with a dog out of Heathrow, but I have on other transatlantic flights without any problem.
By law, ESAN (emotional support animal) dogs must be allowed on flights to/from the USA provided that the certain conditions are met (type of animal, behavior). ESAN dogs must be permitted in any cabin, but the carrier can restrict dogs from exit rows (that just makes sense.)
  • I can't comment on anything BA-specific, but just keep the ESAN paperwork handy. Mine is all laminated in a binder with the specific forms for each carrier, vaccines, vet statement, etc.
  • I use a metal-free collar and leash for security, and that's worked perfectly in multiple airports in the USA and elsewhere. (I just got a regular leash and took the metal parts off. It works just long enough to get through security, then I switch back to his regular collar and leash).
  • Although there are rules about animal food, I spoke with a vet at the US Department of Agriculture, and they allow one to import enough "chow" for the trip. The vet was helpful; she recommended dry food only (due to liquid rules), and to keep it separate at TSA checkpoints. Heathrow security likes everything separated out anyway.
  • My former and current dog have never needed a nappy, underwear, or anything. They're trained. It was never an issue. I was just cautious to give them only sips of water.
  • You will be stopped by US Agriculture upon arrival. (For me, this has meant an X on my Global Entry receipt.) They just ask for the rabies paperwork. It takes ten seconds, and they've always been friendly and helpful.
If you are polite, kind, and your dog is well-behaved, you are not going to have any problems. In fact, you'll probably make friends.
The ESAN drama in the news and on FlyerTalk tends to be about poorly-behaved animals, bizarre animals, or who are not serving any legit psychological or medical need. Some who are less-informed are unfamiliar with hidden disabilities, and might not recognize why using an ESAN is so helpful. If you take flack, remember it's their problem, not yours.

I have only encountered problems twice: once was a man sitting next to me who didn't like the dog. He was a person who hated life, and he was complaining about everything. He made himself unpopular with the crew, and they doted on my dog for 10 hours. The other has been a few incidents with Southwest, where they do not have their own paperwork, and they don't "clear" the ESAN requirements in advance. It gets messy. But you're not flying on Southwest.

Have a great flight. Message me if you have other questions.
T8191, wrp96, Geordie405 and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Since it seems BA are going to let you take your dog on board, and let's assume it's well-behaved enough to handle an aircraft cabin, the main question that occurs to me is one of elimination. Unless your dog is quite sure to be able to hold it for the duration of the flight and the formalities at both ends, prepare for how the dog will take a leak.

My understanding of the process for guide dogs, who are trained to eliminate on command, is that it involves spreading newspaper and absorbent material in a lav, commanding the dog, then cleaning it up into the bin afterwards. It might behoove you to bring some such material with you, and to use the accessible (therefore larger) lavatory in J for easier handling.

I will note that "emotional support animal" is an unrecognised concept in the UK, we have only trained service dogs (which perform a service for a person, such as guiding the visually impaired, hearing sounds, or similar), pets, and livestock. Many establishments such as shops, restaurants, etc, will only accept trained service dogs and do not permit pets. You'll find some pubs will be "dog friendly" and will allow any well-behaved dog. Restaurants, grocery stores, etc, will usually not permit pets or livestock.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Great to see Mats chip in with the most helpful post of the thread, 65 posts in
Mats likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I've also been given the advice that if all else fails, you put dog toilet pads down on the floor of the loos and they can go there.
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Given the state of the toilet floors and general cleanliness of its aircraft perhaps BA could stock the dog toilet pads for passengers generally to use on the floor?

This has been an entertaining thread, some of the reactions border on the bizarre, some are just really amusing. Fortunately you did get brilliant advice from Mats in his response, a couple of posts above. A friend of mine here in the UK regularly travels to the USA with his yorkie terrier in a dog box that he puts under his seat. Unfortunately for him its not an ESA so he has to fly to and from the USA via Germany, usually on United. He's never had a problem with the dog annoying other passengers (admittedly it's a very small and cute dog). His one bit of advice is to make sure all the vaccinations are up to date and pet passport is still valid.

Good luck Gaz1a with your travels.
Mats likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Great news.

I'll leave the missus at home and take one of our dogs instead next time I go away.....they're better trained anyway. Now which one out of the 11 we have shall it be?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
On a light note, and with no disrespect to the OP and others in a similar situation ... I always travel with my Emotional Support Wife, who also has better hearing than I have and thus also acts as my Hearing Support Wife. I wish I could get free/discounted fares for her to assist me!
zanderblue and Keystone like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Or the flight socks from the amenity kit.

Golden Rule - if one is going to be standing in somebody else's 'spillage' (canine or otherwise), be wearing someone else's socks
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikem004
Allowing animals on planes is not good hygienic practice.
They are not toilet-trained and could be full of fleas.
But I expect you could say that of some passengers...
Ive been on flights where people have missed the bowl (with faeces). I'd guess many dogs are better potty trained than some passengers. Someone also vomited everywhere in the toilet and didn't bother to inform the crew. I'd have no issues being next to a dog.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TTmex
Ive been on flights where people have missed the bowl (with faeces). I'd guess many dogs are better potty trained than some passengers. Someone also vomited everywhere in the toilet and didn't bother to inform the crew. I'd have no issues being next to a dog.
I don't know how this is even possible or how people can be so gross.
TTmex likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:54 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't know how this is even possible or how people can be so gross.
if by gross you mean gross, you mean filthy then I agree with you. One of my best friend’s partner has flown his toy poodle round trip to LA from CDG with Air France on two occasions. He was taken off water and food for a certain time as recommended by the vet. There were no accidents. I wish the same could be said for humans.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
if by gross you mean gross, you mean filthy then I agree with you. One of my best friend’s partner has flown his toy poodle round trip to LA from CDG with Air France on two occasions. He was taken off water and food for a certain time as recommended by the vet. There were no accidents. I wish the same could be said for humans.
Posted this before but on one AF CDG-EZE flight we flew behind an elderly couple in economy. The cabin crew regularly came to check on them which I thought was strange. It wasn't until we disembarked at EZE I saw they had a small dog in a pet carrier beside them on the floor. So weI spent 13 hours just a few feet away from a dog which we didn't know was there.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.