Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the ‘My account’ page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by drwook
Just to confirm, your GF got upgraded to gold until 2022 as a couple of others are reporting, or until 2021?
It's unclear based on the email she received (she actually received it later from the customer service), but I would bet it's until July 2021.
Old May 14, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by adamgilbride
Hi everyone,

This thread is full of useful information, as always, so thank you to all of you.

I am Gold, currently languishing on about 500 TPs. My renewal date is June 8th, and I had a 10 sector trip that would have generated 800 TPs booked for the end of May, but recently cancelled.

Who are people contacting at BA to ask about extensions? Is it just the generic customer services email address? Is the Gold line worth a phone?

Thank you in advance?
I'm UK based and called the EC Gold line number. I was dealt with by a very pleasant member of staff based at Manchester who took the booking details of my cancelled flights. She confirmed I would qualify to renew at Gold and I received the 'official' email confirmation a couple of days later.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Had a nice email from BAEC in response to my query. Was left a little way short of 600TP when Covid-19 took a hold and had a couple of flights cancelled that would have got me over the hurdle. Wrote and asked whether this might be taken into consideration. Now promoted back to Silver.
Cheers, BAEC.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Garimi
I'm GOLD again

I use web form to contact with CS and complaining what I should hit Gold but due virus situation it was cancelled and asked to for GOLD status which I received today
now I have Gold status till 31 Mar 2022 and one year after silver which is pretty good result they I only spend money for 640 TP.....
Can you please share which web form you used for this? Many thanks, J
Old May 14, 2020, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Joshm300
Can you please share which web form you used for this? Many thanks, J
I used contact form from my executive account and they replied in 3 weeks...
Old May 14, 2020, 6:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by NicholasMAN
I raised this issue back on March 29th in post #637 but no one appeared to pick up on it. Everyone seems to be focusing on the issue of renewal whilst ignoring the fact that we are all currently unable to utilise our hard earned status in our CURRENT TP year!
You raise a very good point which has perhaps become lost in the ebb and flow of this discussion. Looking back to the end of March, when the EC announced the relaxation of threshold targets, the projection at that moment was to protect members with imminent renewals, in April, May, and June. Now, as we approach mid May, the strategy may evolve so that members with renewal dates in July, August and September receive the same treatment so they enter their new membership year without too much of a disadvantage.

What happens beyond is still uncertain. There is an inevitable tipping point where the attention turns away from help to members with immediate renewals with a move towards bridging the months where tier benefits are going unused. I think at this point we are probably looking at blanket 12 month extensions.
FLYGVA, dcmike, Tobias-UK and 1 others like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 7:38 am

I'm not starting to worry imminantly, with renewal in September, but pondering the future as I think about travel plans and possible Tier Point Run options, assuming the world gets moving towards the end of the year.

I started lockdown with 650TP, and had 10TP booked for late march (later cancelled by BA). I had plans for about 900TP worth of travel through to end of August. The problem is these were all planned but NOT booked (indeed I postponed making a personal booking from Asia when COVID crisis started to emerge there). My work travel is normally only arranged 3-6 weeks in advance, so unsurprising no trips were booked, and future plans went on hold as my main work destinations initiated a ban on non-resident entry in early March (which they are unlikely to lift any time soon, having controlled the virus domestically). Do I have a leg to stand on in terms of retaining Gold, especially given my key destinations are off limits? Might BA use past travel trends, or indeed trends in the year to date? I was 43% of my way to Gold by March (half way through my year) - will my slightly non-linear travel count against me in any request for leniency?

As noted earlier in this thread, what about the fact that I, nor countless others, have not had ANY USE from our status (namely lounge access and Tier Bonus points) for half of our TP year (on advice of UK GOV against travel)? Will this factor into BAs decisionmaking? It seems like there is a double loss going on here - inability to requalify AND inability to use that already awarded.

Also, presumably Tier Point Runs will be considered illegal, being non-essential, non-work or exercise travel, and at any rate would be confined to the UK given advice against international travel.

Any thoughts.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Indeed. I hit gold in March and got a grand total of 1 trip to the LGW F lounge (rather than J lounge) for it. My year ends in July, and I suspect flying will be low to nothing for the rest of the calendar year at least. So... there goes 9 months of usage, and while the burger and glass of wine at Gatwick was reasonably nice, it was quite expensive compared to not bothering with gold. If BA don't give an extension I'll be back to silver next year as travel likely gets back to normal, at which point there's no great reason not to look at other carriers. But I suspect BA will extend us as Prospero suggests, since it seems rather suicidal to upset high value customers when they expect low demand going forward.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by GBOAC
I'm not starting to worry imminantly, with renewal in September, but pondering the future as I think about travel plans and possible Tier Point Run options, assuming the world gets moving towards the end of the year.

I started lockdown with 650TP, and had 10TP booked for late march (later cancelled by BA). I had plans for about 900TP worth of travel through to end of August. The problem is these were all planned but NOT booked (indeed I postponed making a personal booking from Asia when COVID crisis started to emerge there). My work travel is normally only arranged 3-6 weeks in advance, so unsurprising no trips were booked, and future plans went on hold as my main work destinations initiated a ban on non-resident entry in early March (which they are unlikely to lift any time soon, having controlled the virus domestically). Do I have a leg to stand on in terms of retaining Gold?

As noted earlier in this thread, what about the fact that I, nor countless others, have not had ANY USE from our status (namely lounge access and Tier Bonus points) for half of our TP year (on advice of UK GOV against travel)? Will this factor into BAs decisionmaking? It seems like there is a double loss going on here - inability to requalify AND inability to use that already awarded.

Any thoughts.
I would call BA.

I was in the same position, work travel planned for Q1, but all cancelled. TP year ended in May.

I called BA Hong Kong exec club, they submitted booked (and cancelled) tickets and associated tier points to a UK team for consideration.

I did have a QR flight and 4 flights on BA metal booked for this month for a wedding, so submitted them too. That would have netted 700 tps.

Will let you know if i get a positive response.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC

I started lockdown with 650TP, and had 10TP booked for late march (later cancelled by BA). I had plans for about 900TP worth of travel through to end of August. The problem is these were all planned but NOT booked (indeed I postponed making a personal booking from Asia when COVID crisis started to emerge there). My work travel is normally only arranged 3-6 weeks in advance, so unsurprising no trips were booked, and future plans went on hold as my main work destinations initiated a ban on non-resident entry in early March (which they are unlikely to lift any time soon, having controlled the virus domestically). Do I have a leg to stand on in terms of retaining Gold, especially given my key destinations are off limits? Might BA use past travel trends, or indeed trends in the year to date? I was 43% of my way to Gold by March (half way through my year) - will my slightly non-linear travel count against me in any request for leniency?

Also, presumably Tier Point Runs will be considered illegal, being non-essential, non-work or exercise travel, and at any rate would be confined to the UK given advice against international travel.

Any thoughts.
Similar position. I'm September with around 120 TPs, and 240 cancelled. I had around 900 planned in Q2, but never booked (we typically book business travel 3-5 weeks before).

Whilst I'm not even going to go down the avenue of 'planned', I do expect those of us with September renewals (Jul onwards) will receive at least a 6 month extension to factor in the fact we have been unable to use our benefits. I imagine it will be a blanket 12 months, which is easier. It will effectively write off TP collection year 2020-2021.

I suppose the only 'losers' to a blanket 12 month (with collection years Jul onwards) will be those who are a lower tier (e.g blue), and had already spent on non-essential travel (e.g a tier point run) to boost themselves to a higher tier (e.g silver) but without the chance to complete their status boost which will leave them having spent money on lower TPs that have no use (e.g 150).
Old May 14, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Sailbot3310
S

I suppose the only 'losers' to a blanket 12 month (with collection years Jul onwards) will be those who are a lower tier (e.g blue), and had already spent on non-essential travel (e.g a tier point run) to boost themselves to a higher tier (e.g silver) but without the chance to complete their status boost which will leave them having spent money on lower TPs that have no use (e.g 150).
How about extending status by 12 months and carrying over any tier points, effectively extending entire TP collection AND status year by 12 months, basically writing off the period from March 2020 to March 2021 (approx). Haven't AA done something similar on their calendar year approach, effectively running things to Jan 2022? That would ease things for the subset you mention
Worst case for this strategy would be things easying up by December 2020 and people getting an 'extra' 3 months of normality to renew status again....
MaxFlyer, alex67500 and Fontana like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Probably a decent idea to be fair, I might go from being a bit of a grumpy git to trying to hit GGL if they did that.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
yes thats what AA did, and frankly this idea of ringing BA to advocate for yourself based on cancelled flights is the LEAST scalable solution!

been GGL for four years, all since i joined the EC and going into lockdown i have 1100TP, with 1500 cancelled and another 600 not booked. All longhaul, so with my term ending in Sept that was half of my year effectively cut off from long haul travel. Of course even with the possibility of getting a renewal, to what good since I cannot imagine travel picking up until Q1 when countries have a bigger sense of what to do.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DrGee
Had a nice email from BAEC in response to my query. Was left a little way short of 600TP when Covid-19 took a hold and had a couple of flights cancelled that would have got me over the hurdle. Wrote and asked whether this might be taken into consideration. Now promoted back to Silver.
Cheers, BAEC.
Thanks for the hint, just did the same. I am on 540, would of ended on 790 based on actual booked and 1510 based on planned.
Asked for Silver consideration.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by drwook
Indeed. I hit gold in March and got a grand total of 1 trip to the LGW F lounge (rather than J lounge) for it. My year ends in July, and I suspect flying will be low to nothing for the rest of the calendar year at least. So... there goes 9 months of usage, and while the burger and glass of wine at Gatwick was reasonably nice, it was quite expensive compared to not bothering with gold. If BA don't give an extension I'll be back to silver next year as travel likely gets back to normal, at which point there's no great reason not to look at other carriers. But I suspect BA will extend us as Prospero suggests, since it seems rather suicidal to upset high value customers when they expect low demand going forward.
Not entirely sure I see your problem. If you achieved Gold in March 20 and your TP year ends is 8 July 20 you'll get a full year of Gold after that anyway as per the normal rules.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.