Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the ‘My account’ page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
There is one blockbuster store left, so don’t throw that card away just yet it may become more valuable than the BAEC card at this rate

The store is currently offering rooftop pickup...

I can't work out if that Twitter is a spoof or not

In any case, Google Maps does find an open Blockbuster at 211 NE Revere Ave, Bend, OR so who knows?

Not sure I will ever make it from the North West to the Pacific North West but will certainly visit the store if I do!!
Old May 10, 2020, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon

In any case, Google Maps does find an open Blockbuster at 211 NE Revere Ave, Bend, OR so who knows?

Not sure I will ever make it from the North West to the Pacific North West but will certainly visit the store if I do!!

rb211.

Last edited by RB211; May 10, 2020 at 2:23 am
Old May 10, 2020, 2:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

It definitely exists, I saw it last year. It has quite wide fan base locally, people have hung on to VCRs and DVDs because of the store. Not only is the last Blockbuster, it's probably the only one to have a visitors book.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45175194
Old May 10, 2020, 4:07 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
While I haven't read the entire 92 pages of this thread (I just read the first page and the wiki, which had the information I already knew of), I just emailed BAEC (with still a decent amount of hope they will reply to me positively) concerning my status renewal and the upgrade of my partner. My membership anniversary date is early june and my gf's one is early july and I currently have 965 TP, while Mrs has 980 TP. We were supposed to fly on QR and CX last month, which would have generated 600 TP for each of us, but obviously this trip got cancelled by the airline and there is no way the world will come back to normality in one month allowing both of us to plan a trip on the spot. Now, I know that BA decreased the qualification criteria to 1050 TP in my case, but I will still be short of 85 TP to qualify. I have been enjoying gold status with BA for 8 years or so now (after the "merger" with BMI) and Mrs just became Silver 2 months ago for the first time, we both have more than 4 eligible segments on BA or IB to (re-)qualify. Let's see what they will reply, I provided booking references and ticket numbers of the cancelled trip if they need to check, but has anyone in this situation succeeded getting an extension ?
Old May 10, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC

I assure you the tweet is real. Go to the twitter account handle, if you are able to. Whilst I do share the odd funny viral photo or video, sharing fake, conspiracy stuff or anything that might be a spoof is definitely not something I will share online if it can be avoided.

Yes it’s the only remaining store in Bend Oregon as you found. I Googled blockbuster last store. Say hi to Danny on the roof if you ever make it!!
Old May 10, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
PALMANFR: - I was in an almost identical situation except that my year end was 8 April.. I contacted the EC and they readily gave me a notional TP credit for my cancelled flights (I provided booking ref's etc) which would have taken me over the Gold renewal threshold. I was renewed to Gold till 2021. Although nothing has been said by BA in respect of those renewals beyond 8 June I cannot see that you would be treated any less favourably.
palmanfr likes this.

Last edited by Burberries1; May 10, 2020 at 6:44 am Reason: missing info
Old May 10, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Believe me or not more than 90% of BA elites ( Bronze or higher ) based in the UK would still continue to use BA if they did not extend their status; this percentage would be more than 95% for London based people.

There would be a minority being angry at BA and using other airlines in the couple next months but as I mentioned, for the convenience, for the comfort of flying from point to point without making an extra stop, people would still choose BA.

Also, add the fact that the UK does not have another airline that has a wide-network like BA, and the percentage of O&D passengers amount is really high on BA flights compared to other airlines.

By the way, it's easier to re-achieve Gold after a soft landing to Silver, rather than to build Star Alliance Gold or SkyTeam Elite Plus from zero.
Where it becomes interesting is if those alternate alliances start offering status matches or challenges.
Old May 10, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Where it becomes interesting is if those alternate alliances start offering status matches or challenges.
Actually *G is quite a bit easier than Gold. For example I got it for almost 4 years with OZ flying 2 EU-Asia r/t's on LX/LH F costing me a tad over 4k€ total (companion sale). Then again I much prefer OWE perks over *G but if BA really thinks those of us with expiry date in Jan should fly x amount of TP to maintain GGL this year I will probably check out what LH HON is like.
Old May 10, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Originally Posted by AnttiV
Actually *G is quite a bit easier than Gold. For example I got it for almost 4 years with OZ flying 2 EU-Asia r/t's on LX/LH F costing me a tad over 4k€ total (companion sale). Then again I much prefer OWE perks over *G but if BA really thinks those of us with expiry date in Jan should fly x amount of TP to maintain GGL this year I will probably check out what LH HON is like.
I share that view. Star Alliance covers the routes our firm needs and all of our fliers have done either the TAP status match or Turkish status challenge. We'll see how it goes. The only thing I will miss is the Gold Priority Reward.

Not that our tiny business will have BA worried, but my year ends in October. I had loads booked to get over the Gold line again.. all cancelled. Now the replacement trips early next year have gone to other airlines. I wonder how many others are thinking the same?

Yes, of course, BA's management have got lots to think about. It would appear keeping customers isn't one of them.
Old May 10, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IST regarding UK or London based customers, that is only part of the argument. The same holds true of almost all Single or double hub/country carriers, you could say it of AF and Paris, or even TK and IST. one has to look further than this and see what is on the "other end". If we are talking about Gold card members BA has quite a lot at stations such HKG, JFK, LAX, JNB, SIN, etc (not so much anymore out of Istanbul however). While you are correct that there is no UK based carrier with the route network of BA (and as VS seems to be a goner..........and Norwegian seemingly also on their last legs) people in teh UK do still have plenty of other choices.

As for the other comments about upcoming "status matches" there really has been no point in the last two decades that the majority of airlines have always had some sort of status match program happening (including BA). It is just a matter of how wide it is or was, and who you are to be able to get offered it.
Old May 10, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by hfly
IST regarding UK or London based customers, that is only part of the argument. The same holds true of almost all Single or double hub/country carriers, you could say it of AF and Paris, or even TK and IST. one has to look further than this and see what is on the "other end". If we are talking about Gold card members BA has quite a lot at stations such HKG, JFK, LAX, JNB, SIN, etc (not so much anymore out of Istanbul however). While you are correct that there is no UK based carrier with the route network of BA (and as VS seems to be a goner..........and Norwegian seemingly also on their last legs) people in teh UK do still have plenty of other choices.
As someone who lives in "the Regions" - it's much easier for me to fly from MAN to MUC/ZRH when heading into Europe or further East, or EWR on UA when going West; than making the journey down to LHR just to pay more money for a more expensive "direct" flight.

As a result, I'm SEN on LH & 1K on UA, both "easy" *G qualifications if not a "national"

(Sorry, I know I'm slightly off topic)
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
I think the recent suggestion to use them as ice scrapers is the best I've heard.

I've managed to scrape together enough points from leisure travel to get gold for the past few years, which runs out in July. Given that the likelihood of significant travel in 2020 is remote, it will need more than a 12 month extension to keep me on board.
Exactly.

I re-qualified for gold in March - very unlikely to be flying much before, say, October and even then, what risk will I be taking I wonder.

Let's see what BA does in the coming months...
Old May 10, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Also, add the fact that the UK does not have another airline that has a wide-network like BA
KLM and its network serves far more of the UK than does BA. AF and LH also present. For short haul, EZY, FR and LS are all often significantly more convenient for people in most of the U.K. than BA.

I like my BA status, I fly via LHR when I could fly via AMS or FRA, or even direct to retain it and enjoy its benefits.... take it away and I won’t, and am unlikely to be in such a small minority.
Old May 10, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Some random ideas for things BA could try beyond reduced thresholds or reviewing cancellations:
  • Bonus tier points for those that rebooked via voucher rather than requesting refunds
  • Double or triple tier points on a promotional basis once flights resume
  • Extended qualification window (eg 2 years instead of 1)
  • Some sort of prorated credit of tier points towards lifetime status
  • Earning tier points based on BA credit card spend in 2020
  • Discounted flight passes for future flexible travel (or perhaps unlimited passes like AA infamously sold 20 years ago)

These ideas seem mostly unlikely, but maybe they’ll pick up on a few ideas.

The other suggestion I and others have made is pushing to make it possible to book more than 1 year out given the current levels of uncertainty as a way to get BA money to lock in future travel at discounted rates. If not an option, perhaps come up with a way to purchase a future travel voucher with a way to guarantee a booking beyond the current booking window.
Old May 10, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by dylanks
  • Bonus tier points for those that rebooked via voucher rather than requesting refunds
I took a cash refund but have since spent more than my refund amount on flights again. Why should I be denied the extra TPS?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 12, 2020 at 5:55 am Reason: Fix quote box to avoid confusion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.