Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 and BA flight cancellations & rebooking: info & advice thread [*noise-free*]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LTN Phobia
WikiPost currently includes info on China inc Hong Kong, Singapore and Italy. As and when new/updated information becomes available, we would welcome your input in updating it.
Information resources (e.g. links of entry restrictions/quarantine requirements) are provided at the bottom of Wiki.

29 Feb 2020: List of routes with cancellations from 13 March to 28 March: PKX, PVG, HKG, SIN, LIN, ICN, VRN, BGY, BLQ, TRN, VCE.
(
In the case of PKX and PVG there are no services, for the other locations it's up to 50% of services.)

BA Book with Confidence Policy
BA have instigated a policy of bookings made on or after 3 March 2020 with zero change fees. Initially this policy will expire end of 31 16 March 2020. Details can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ce-policy.html
Note.. despite the official start date of 3 March for this policy, at least one FT-er has advised that a booking on 2 March also attracted zero change fees.
BA has now expanded the book with confidence policy to expire 31 March 2020. Starting date of 3 March 2020 is unchanged.
China inc HKG
BA have cancelled all flights to PKX (Beijing/Peking) and PVG (Shanghai Pu Dong) "until 19 April 2020".

BA frequency to HKG has been reduced with effect from 13 February 2020 - see below for further details. From HKG, Cathay is running a heavily reduced schedule to mainland destinations until the end of March.

If you are due to fly to PKX, PVG and your flight is cancelled then you have refund, re-route and rebook options. BA can rebook on to several other airlines.
If you are due to fly to Hong Kong until 1st April you have refund and rebook options.
If you are transiting into mainland China you are also covered as above.
If you are transiting internationally (e.g. LHR-HKG-SYD) you are not able to move your flights, unless they are cancelled anyway.
The latest ba.com update was on 21 February 2020 at 1510.

More information on the advice of Her Majesty's Government about travel and health is on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china

For the Special Administration Regions of Hong Kong and Macao:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/hong-kong
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/macao

Summary from IATA of all travel restrictions due to Coronavirus as added to TIMATIC https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

HKG frequency reductions (as of 1330 on 21 February 2020, all dates inclusive).

LHR-HKG

From Thu 13.02.2020 to Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Tue 18.02.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Tue 10.03.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Mon 27.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 11.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 18.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Sun 24.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).
In addition, on Mon 08.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).

HKG-LHR

From Fri 14.02.2020 to Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Wed 19.02.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Wed 11.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Sun 29.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Fri 01.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 13.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 20.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 27.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).
In addition, on Tue 09.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).

Note: Schedule changes take effect on Sun 29.03.2020 in both directions.

Italy
BA has issued a Customer Guideline Update 1 for travel to the north of Italy, defined as:
LIN/MXP – Milan
TRN – Turin
BLQ – Bologna
VCE – Venice
BGY – Bergamo
VRN - Verona

Tickets issued by 24 February can be changed. If they are dated for original travel on 25 February – 02 March 2020, they can now be moved to 25 February – 31 March 2020. Alternatively changed to ZRH or GVA (note some of these services will be running very full at this time of the year). Refunds not allowed, redemptions are in scope for change.
Update: Travelling 29 Feb to 15 March can now change date of travel and postpone to up to the 3 Apr or change airport to Geneva or Zurich. Rredemptions included but refunds still not included

Further details:
Key Message
The following guidelines have been published to assist any customer who may wish to change their travel date for Northern Italy.
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA, IB, AY or AA flight is still OPERATING

Rebook onto: British Airways or AJB

Airports affected - To/From
LIN/MXP – Milan
TRN – Turin
BLQ – Bologna
VCE – Venice
BGY – Bergamo
VRN - Verona

Tickets issued by: 24 February 2020
Ticket travel dates: 25 February – 02 March 2020
New travel dates: 25 February – 31 March 2020

Rebooking Allowance: Rebook into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin

Change of gateway: Rebook onto a British Airways operated service to/from ZRH (Zurich) or GVA (Geneva) and London (any airport) into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin. Must advise the customer that any consequential cost to travel between the original and the new Swiss gateway, e.g. surface transport, hotels, etc. are at their expense. Add a remark into the booking stating that you have advised this. Visas may also need to be checked to travel into Switzerland.

Origin/Destination/Stopover changes: Yes – as above
Refunds Allowed: No
Redemptions included: Yes
Available for Trade: Yes

Important Information
One involuntary ticket change allowed from the above options
Includes any connecting BA/Joint Business services on the same ticket
For customers on cancelled flights, please follow the standard customer guidelines >
· Adherence to commercial policies/standard customer guidelines remains entirely the responsibility of the user. BA reserves the right to withdraw guidelines at any time
Singapore
BA11 has been cancelled on March 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 and 25, and corresponding returns on BA12 (the next day) have been cancelled.

Information Resources
Travel restrictions by country
IATA's central list of restrictions relating to Covid-19 is here:
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

Australian government site for visit/transit restrictions for various countries after visiting certain countries (not just for Australians, as it lists countries visited/transited etc.). It includes information that is missing from IATA list too.
https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/

11 March 2020:
For people who are based in the US, the US CDC travel warning for Schengen zone has been updated to Level 3 "Avoid nonessential travel".
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...navirus-europe

In addition, US Department of State have updated the global travel advisory to Level 3 "Reconsider Travel.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ory-issue.html

This may affect your travel insurance cover (or enable you to claim back the cost of cancellation).

Print Wikipost

Covid-19 and BA flight cancellations & rebooking: info & advice thread [*noise-free*]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Traveling back to BOS from BLR in 5 days. Both flights look pretty empty. At what point should I start thinking about having a backup itinerary in mind, were BA to cancel any (especially the BLR-LHR leg) of the flights due to load factors?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Why wouldn’t they rebook the VCE flights? There are some still running both from LHR and LGW.
The original VCE to LGW were super cheap - about 50 pounds each. The cruise they are on is canceling all Italian ports and now dropping them in Marseille. To change the VCE - LGW flight to MRS-LGW, BA wanted 70 pounds change fee per ticket plus 200 pounds per ticket cost adjustment. I'm just going to sit tight and hope BA eventually cancels that VCE flight. It's all so fluid and unknown but man the not letting me re-apply the seat selection fee really stunk.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Londoner0507
I really understand your frustration as I am in the same situation like you. I am checking every day to see if BA will cancel my flight to Seoul on 20 March. I tried to email them again when I saw that you ''can book with confidence'' now between 3-16 of March and I asked what can they do about me and other people like me? The answer was : '' We understand your frustration and we know it is a difficult situation, but none of our polices covers your circumstances''. So all I can do now is wait and hope that at some point before my flight, UK will decide to ban the flights to South Korea like Australia did today and many other countries before. It is really unbelievable that now when South Korea is the second hot spot after China with more than 6.000 cases, some Airlines like BA still think it is alright for us to travel there as long as they can get the money from us.

Thanks for info.Hopefully they will do sth until 20 th march. For my flight on 10th I doubt so...
However from 9th March Japan doesnt let people coming from Korea come and they need to be quarantited. I have flight to Korea, and return flight from Japan (same ticket). I wonder what now will BA do about my flight. They probably dont care and I will have to pay for rebook anyway, which doesnt make sense since I LITERALLY cant board bc of govenment policies.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:55 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Shirocat
Thanks for info.Hopefully they will do sth until 20 th march. For my flight on 10th I doubt so...
However from 9th March Japan doesnt let people coming from Korea come and they need to be quarantited. I have flight to Korea, and return flight from Japan (same ticket). I wonder what now will BA do about my flight. They probably dont care and I will have to pay for rebook anyway, which doesnt make sense since I LITERALLY cant board bc of govenment policies.
Ouch - that is unlucky in terms of the timing. I would expect though that in this case (I am assuming a BA open jaw ticket LHR-SEL and then TYO-LHR) that they will let you make a change (or cancel the booking), as it is obvious that you cannot complete the itinerary as planned due to the rule to be imposed on March 9th (assuming your planned stay in Japan is less than 14 days).

It may take one or two more days though for a policy to be updated, though I would hope not. What change would you like to make? Just fly a simple UK-Japan return? Or delay the whole trip to a later date?
Shirocat likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz
Ouch - that is unlucky in terms of the timing. I would expect though that in this case (I am assuming a BA open jaw ticket LHR-SEL and then TYO-LHR) that they will let you make a change (or cancel the booking), as it is obvious that you cannot complete the itinerary as planned due to the rule to be imposed on March 9th (assuming your planned stay in Japan is less than 14 days).

It may take one or two more days though for a policy to be updated, though I would hope not. What change would you like to make? Just fly a simple UK-Japan return? Or delay the whole trip to a later date?
Exactly - I had flight london-seoul and then osaka-tokyo-london (i booked separate ticket from peach airline seoul to osaka, but they refunded me week ago). I would stay 1,5 half week in Japan, but ofc I dont plan to go and cancelling and refunding my flight would be the best option, which is unavailable (all main attractions are closed anyway). Fortunately I booked on 31st January, so I can reshedule until this date. I really feel bad about people who booked like year ago and they can rebook until like april or May....
I will call again and ask, but helpline cant do anything if BA doesnt change their policies...
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:54 am

Deleted

Last edited by Voda_boy; Mar 6, 2020 at 2:55 am Reason: Forgot to include a quote. Resubmitted.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Shirocat
I will call again and ask, but helpline cant do anything if BA doesnt change their policies...
I'm also in the same situation, albeit for early April - so would love to know how you get on as I will call later.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: LX SEN
Lufthansa just issued a "Flexible Rebooking" policy for all tickets. Time for BA to follow.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
I wonder if BA/Amex are considering offering extensions to 2-4-1 vouchers, given the situation.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC
If this gets any worse BA will have to consider something. Whether that be lowering fares even further (at the moment I don’t think there are any wow fares over the summer) or offering some flexibility around the rebooking of old bookings.

I wonder if they planning on a reduced operation this Spring (April/May) and not just March.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BAeuro
If this gets any worse BA will have to consider something. Whether that be lowering fares even further (at the moment I don’t think there are any wow fares over the summer) or offering some flexibility around the rebooking of old bookings.

I wonder if they planning on a reduced operation this Spring (April/May) and not just March.
Wouldn't expect wow fares for summer it's amazing how people will suddenly be willing to travel when it comes to the summer holidays!!!! And with a lot of.fligjts for that period already very busy not gonna lower prices much for that tjme
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Voda_boy
I'm also in the same situation, albeit for early April - so would love to know how you get on as I will call later.
I called today, explained situation about new policy law from 9th march and lady after few mins of waiting (probably asked manager for help...) has let me know that i can rebook to another date up to 1 of August free of charge, but same route. She mentioned tho that its just not permanent and if I call on Monday they might not accept 'the deal' anymore. (maybe bc Japan might resign from that policy or sth? or she was just worried that i will call someone else and they wont agree ?) I decided with my friend (same situation) that we will wait until Monday. Maybe then they will finally refund us otherwise we reschedule to another date. I will let you know on monday/tuesday what happened.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
KLM is being very generous:

​​​​​​Got travel plans or have you already booked flights, but doubting whether your trip will go ahead? KLM would like to offer you a helping hand by temporarily introducing the option to change your ticket without a change fee. You can change the period in which you choose to fly as well as the destination. The costs of any fare differences will remain applicable. This option is valid for bookings made by 31 March 2020 for flights departing by 31 May 2020.

Would you like to change your travel dates? This option applies to all tickets on global KLM and Air France flights. Your new departure date should be no later than 31 May 2020. The costs of any fare differences will remain applicable. You can easily change your ticket via ‘My Trip’ on klm.my or via the KLM app.

Would you rather travel after 31 May 2020 or change your destination? Then you can exchange your ticket for a voucher. This is redeemable for tickets from KLM, Air France or Delta Air Lines, and can also be used to buy extra options on KLM flights.
JamieABZ likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by simonsmith
KLM is being very generous:

​​​​​​Got travel plans or have you already booked flights, but doubting whether your trip will go ahead? KLM would like to offer you a helping hand by temporarily introducing the option to change your ticket without a change fee. You can change the period in which you choose to fly as well as the destination. The costs of any fare differences will remain applicable. This option is valid for bookings made by 31 March 2020 for flights departing by 31 May 2020.

Would you like to change your travel dates? This option applies to all tickets on global KLM and Air France flights. Your new departure date should be no later than 31 May 2020. The costs of any fare differences will remain applicable. You can easily change your ticket via ‘My Trip’ on klm.my or via the KLM app.

Would you rather travel after 31 May 2020 or change your destination? Then you can exchange your ticket for a voucher. This is redeemable for tickets from KLM, Air France or Delta Air Lines, and can also be used to buy extra options on KLM flights.
A very sensible policy putting the passenger first, well done to them.
JamieABZ likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
I wonder will BA follow suit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.