Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Potential Impact of Coronavirus on flights to Milan & rest of Italy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Customer Guidelines: see post 97 for rebooking options for some north of Italy routes.
Print Wikipost

Potential Impact of Coronavirus on flights to Milan & rest of Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
That was over 100 years ago
So is it still relevant?
Absolutely it is yes.
We like to band about "Ah but in the west we have good healthcare and medicine!"

Well. Answer me this. How many free hospital beds does the UK currently have...?
Lets say a million people catch Corona in the UK. The hospitals wont be able to treat or even see you. So our "western" hospitals become non exsistent and you might as well be in China or timbucktoo. Or indeed in 1912 in Spain, it will be just the same treatment wise. This virus spreads like wildfire and kills 1 in 50. Rather terrifying if you ask me. I willing to bet you know more than 50 people.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:39 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, we are drifting massively off-topic here. Perhaps it's time to take note of the thread title?

Whilst we understand that some degree of conjecture is inevitable, let's also stick to known, factual information if we can - as with other threads covering the virus, it is much more useful for people to come here and find accurate posts rather than massive exaggeration or pure unadulterated guesswork as we have seen in many of the recent contributions.

/mod
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Austria joining in. Two cases identified in Tirol, and now in isolation in INN hospital.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Your main issue here at the moment is lack of quality snow.
I haven't done much digging around, going to be in St. Moritz Mar 12-15, hold out hope for better conditions or resign myself to spending the weekend in the bar?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I haven't done much digging around, going to be in St. Moritz Mar 12-15, hold out hope for better conditions or resign myself to spending the weekend in the bar?
You should be fine. 50% skiing, 50% bar. As usual It's more a personal issue as I've never done downhill skiing but go cross-country (langlauf). This needs good snow in the valleys and there simply hasn't been enough anywhere near me. For you downhill skiers there's always somewhere to get snow; just ensure it's not in an avalanche area.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC
My colleague and boyfriend are due to visit Rome on Friday for a leisure weekend , flying BA Friday morning, should they have a plan B or just hope plan A stays all intact?

I appreciate it’s probably guess work at this stage
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
My colleague and boyfriend are due to visit Rome on Friday for a leisure weekend , flying BA Friday morning, should they have a plan B or just hope plan A stays all intact?

I personally wouldn't go. Even if they did go would they enjoy it or be anxious the whole time?
Im not doing any more travel till this calms significantly down.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I genuinely think that give it another month or so and all travel, anywhere, will be stopped. This is going to be very very bad. The infection rate and mortality rate is that of Spanish flu which killed a quarter of the world.
I feel it may go the other way, it will be so wide spread it will be pointless stopping flights going to places as you are as likely to catch is anywhere! yes a flight may pose a greater risk than some things, but I would suggest the tube and train travel around the world would also need to be stopped and there will become a point where it is simply no longer possible to try and contain it. It will either be past containment within 10 days or containment will be taking full effect and things calming down, due to issues to how it was initially handled I suspect it wont be the later option however.
wrp96 and cosmo74 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
You should be fine. 50% skiing, 50% bar. As usual It's more a personal issue as I've never done downhill skiing but go cross-country (langlauf). This needs good snow in the valleys and there simply hasn't been enough anywhere near me. For you downhill skiers there's always somewhere to get snow; just ensure it's not in an avalanche area.
Virus is in Switz now, guess we'll have to see how this plays out over the next few weeks.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Absolutely it is yes.
We like to band about "Ah but in the west we have good healthcare and medicine!"

Well. Answer me this. How many free hospital beds does the UK currently have...?
Lets say a million people catch Corona in the UK. The hospitals wont be able to treat or even see you. So our "western" hospitals become non exsistent and you might as well be in China or timbucktoo. Or indeed in 1912 in Spain, it will be just the same treatment wise. This virus spreads like wildfire and kills 1 in 50. Rather terrifying if you ask me. I willing to bet you know more than 50 people.
Your rates do not take into account the number of people who have contracted it and not reported it. The death rate is much lower than the official stats because there is a skew to the more at risk part of the global population getting more seriously affected and thus entering the system, whereas people with milder symptoms do not report it or seek medical advice.

I personally wouldn't travel to Italy and certainly northern Italy not for fear of contracting the virus but simply not being able to leave for 14 plus days if there was an outbreak near where I was regardless of if I was infected.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
I feel it may go the other way, it will be so wide spread it will be pointless stopping flights going to places as you are as likely to catch is anywhere!
How very true.
Have a new one, today ... Guernsey (GCI) schoolchildren have just returned from a school trip to Italy. One is showing possible symptoms!
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Virus is in Switz now, guess we'll have to see how this plays out over the next few weeks.
Croatia and Barcelona too. This is getting pretty bad fast.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
We have a customer meeting in Naples next week. Colleagues flying from London and Paris. We are cancelling as some of our customers in the UK are not accepting anyone that has traveled to Italy lately. We are holding off the cancellation of flights (BA and AF) in case they extend the waiver to all of Italy.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

Also in Rome this weekend. Take hand sanitiser as reports are prices are rising locally but otherwise just get on and enjoy the warmth and history.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I personally wouldn't go. Even if they did go would they enjoy it or be anxious the whole time?
Im not doing any more travel till this calms significantly down.
by the way it sounds you won’t even leave the house !

Flights only get cancelled due to demand or govt advice, so far the uk is taking a prudent approach. It’s amazing how Italy went from doing nothing to massively overreacting and causing a panic, by which time it is very late to take action and the damage has been cause already.

look at the us and uk, virus has been around a few weeks now but no crazy surge so far.

I flew today and my flight was packed and the airport was as usual, with very few people bothering with masks, the only person I encountered being a KAL employee at the lounge in LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.