Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Potential Impact of Coronavirus on flights to Milan & rest of Italy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Customer Guidelines: see post 97 for rebooking options for some north of Italy routes.
Print Wikipost

Potential Impact of Coronavirus on flights to Milan & rest of Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by alex67500
They should change it free of charge to GVA or ZRH, including your positioning flights, according to what I understand from the guidelines, but you're outside of the dates for now.
At this point, rather than changing to ZRH, it might be prudent to delay until later. There was a patient that tested positive in Aargau today, which is not far at all from ZRH. There was a notice that some 200 people were being tested in Switzerland as of last night. Though, I'd reckon that this weekend will probably be okay.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; HHonors; ClubCarlson
My upcoming flight LGW to VRN has been cancelled and I've been rebooked the next day. Not exactly convenient to have to stay another day. Presumably this change would allow me to either cancel or rebook for a later date?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by 1010101
My flight to London on Monday was packed.

This afternoon to Milan had perhaps 30 passengers onboard, we were told not to move about for aircraft balance. Notably not a single person bought food on either service and they offered 50% off on the London leg.
Has anyone else heard of 50% off BOB before?

I think Italy has made a mistake and now realised that they overreacted, they are now trying to convince people Italy is open for business after they scared everyone off.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by vanmunchen
My upcoming flight LGW to VRN has been cancelled and I've been rebooked the next day. Not exactly convenient to have to stay another day. Presumably this change would allow me to either cancel or rebook for a later date?
Yes, you can have a refund or rebook to other dates or reroute to ZRH, GVA and any BA gateway within 300 miles (though within 3 days before, 14 days after for that option).

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Has anyone else heard of 50% off BOB before?
On easyJet, it generally happens on their last flight of the day. It's the first time I have heard of this on BA.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC
From IAG today:

Capacity on Italian routes for March has been significantly reduced through a combination of cancellations and change of aircraft gauge and further capacity reductions will be activated over the coming days. We also expect to make some capacity reductions across our wider short haul network. Short haul capacity is not being redeployed at this stage.
I guess this means that other short haul routes are going to be trimmed soon. I wonder if aircraft allocations will switch around too for early S20 - A321 flights downgauged to A319s.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:08 am

I think Italy has made a mistake and now realised that they overreacted, they are now trying to convince people Italy is open for business after they scared everyone off.
Personally, I think they did well in being transparent and thorough with lockdown and so on. People would've over-reacted no matter what.

Going back to BA, Willie mentioned on today's results that they're seeing a significant drop in demand from London.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Personally, I think they did well in being transparent and thorough with lockdown and so on. People would've over-reacted no matter what.

Going back to BA, Willie mentioned on today's results that they're seeing a significant drop in demand from London.
Is that BA's failures/bad service coming to bite them finally after all the cuts?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:35 am

Is that BA's failures/bad service coming to bite them finally after all the cuts?
Doubt it. the article refers to London-Milan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51671193

EZY is also saying the same and I read on local press that Rome (total cases =3, all of whom have been discharged from hospitals) have seen a 90% drop in bookings for March.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Doubt it. the article refers to London-Milan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51671193

EZY is also saying the same and I read on local press that Rome (total cases =3, all of whom have been discharged from hospitals) have seen a 90% drop in bookings for March.
Italy realises their mistake so much that they are asking the public broadcaster to not talk about it so much now.
I hope things pick back up soon for Italy's sake.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Italy realises their mistake so much that they are asking the public broadcaster to not talk about it so much now.
I hope things pick back up soon for Italy's sake.
I'd rather see Italy taking strict containment measures than France's lax attitude and not having learnt from the Codagno hospital fiasco.
And Italian cases are disseminating in the rest of Europe.

The issue on public broadcasts social networks and political finger pointing is a different issue.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have closed this thread so that any factual updates can be kept together on a reference and advice thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...se-please.html

If you find the latest information related to BA cancellations and rebooking policies (e.g. date change allowed even when the flight is operating), please help us to help each other by making a post on the thread linked above, and updating the Wiki. You can also ask relevant questions and seek advice on the thread.

Please note that the above-linked thread is strictly for information and advice only. Please read the first post and abide by the rules of engagement of that thread.
Further information and explanations are provided in the first post of the thread.

Thank you for your cooperation.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.