Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Potential Impact of Coronavirus on flights to Milan & rest of Italy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Customer Guidelines: see post 97 for rebooking options for some north of Italy routes.
Print Wikipost

Potential Impact of Coronavirus on flights to Milan & rest of Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
I flew in/out of both Marco Polo and Villafranca airports last week. Had my temperature taken both times on arrival. Perhaps they were checked for the Veronavirus...
BOH and BAeuro like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't think you will have a problem. They just scan you for temperature, not one word is spoken.
And herin lies the problem and why we face a global pandemic....

Symptoms (fever) do not show until up to 2 weeks after you become contagious. So checking temps is pointless. It would be much better to find out where people have been and attach a risk scale.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Uk Chief Medical Officer updating advice re visitors from Italy which will be to self isolate if you have symptoms but not change to travel advice. So I’m guessing no waivers yet.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by wb1969
Last 2 Italian 6 Nations matches are under threat. The final game against England on 14/3 will bring tens of thousands of fans to the country, including me, with the potential to pick up the virus and bring it home.
And Ulster and The Ospreys have decided not to travel to Italy this weekend for their Pro 14 games
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Uk Chief Medical Officer updating advice re visitors from Italy which will be to self isolate if you have symptoms but not change to travel advice. So I’m guessing no waivers yet.
Indeed it's the top strap story on the front of today's Daily Telegraph, under the headline "British tourists in Italy face coronavirus quarantine". I happen to know that the writer of the story, who is the newspaper's health editor, has good contacts in he health sector.

Extract:
Originally Posted by The Daily Telegraph
British holidaymakers returning from coronavirus-hit parts of Italy will be told to “self-isolate,” in an escalation of measures to combat the spread of the deadly virus.

On Monday night health officials were locked in talks about how far to ratchet up restrictions which could affect thousands of people. Until now, Italy has not been added to the Government’s list of “high-risk” countries, despite the fact it has the most coronavirus cases of any country outside Asia. The inaction has prompted criticism from medics amid concern people potentially carrying the disease are not being put in isolation.

On Tuesday the country’s chief medical officer is expected to add the affected regions to that list, with anyone returning from them asked to “self-isolate” for 14 days if they show possible symptoms of the virus.

However, officials are understood to be discussing whether to go further and ask everyone returning from such parts of Italy to stay home for a fortnight, as a precautionary measure.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:18 am

My daughter is due to get married to her Italian fiance in mid April on Lake Garda. Most people are coming from the UK and all flights and hotels are booked. We are watching the situation very nervously.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by hjd36
My daughter is due to get married to her Italian fiance in mid April on Lake Garda. Most people are coming from the UK and all flights and hotels are booked. We are watching the situation very nervously.
I feel for you and your family. Just hoping that things improve rapidly.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Experts now think you can be infectious for 4 week prior to symptoms show. To be honest canceling flight to Italy now is just closing the door after the horse has bolted. You can be assured that this virus is EVERYWHERE now.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Supposed to go skiing in Switzerland soon, hoping Italy can keep this bottled up and it doesn't spread around Europe.
Your main issue here at the moment is lack of quality snow.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Experts now think you can be infectious for 4 week prior to symptoms show. To be honest canceling flight to Italy now is just closing the door after the horse has bolted. You can be assured that this virus is EVERYWHERE now.
there is no need for alarmist hysteria this is just a flu; only issue being is there is no jab for this one yet and it was extremely poorly managed from the start. Many Thousands of Immunosuppressed people die from the flu every year, more than the current death toll of this particular strain.

keep save everyone and be healthy, wash your hands!
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:24 am

How long do we all think it'll be before prices on flights and accommodations come down, they're still at the usual or higher end of the pricing scale right now, I personally don't care about this Coronavirus as it is just a flu and if I can get a cheapo holiday, why not?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by HeyUpDuck
How long do we all think it'll be before prices on flights and accommodations come down, they're still at the usual or higher end of the pricing scale right now, I personally don't care about this Coronavirus as it is just a flu and if I can get a cheapo holiday, why not?
flights look reasonably full to me at this time of year, don’t forget it’s low season. Just did a LHR-LAX-LHR on NZ and both flights packed to the brim.

i don’t see BA allowing passengers to cancel flights free of charge to Milan area until UK govt issues travel advice advising against all but essential travel.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
there is no need for alarmist hysteria this is just a flu; only issue being is there is no jab for this one yet and it was extremely poorly managed from the start. Many Thousands of Immunosuppressed people die from the flu every year, more than the current death toll of this particular strain.

keep save everyone and be healthy, wash your hands!
It is not the flu, influenza and covid-19 are completely different viruses.

There is absolutely a need to take this seriously and not brush it off as "just another flu", this virus causes you to be infectious before you are symptomatic which makes it very hard to contain and as the previous poster suggested, the chances of it being much more widespread than currently being reported are very high.

The situation is going to get worse before it improves and people need to be aware. I believe it not alarmist/hysterical at this point to advise avoiding non essential travel to currently known affected areas
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, as it seems that coronavirus is rapidly becoming pandemic across the FT BA forum too, can we request that posters seek out alternative places to discuss the wider subject, and keep the discussion here focused on matters relating to travel with BA.

Thank you for your co-operation

The mod team
cosmo74 and Fatdickie like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The latest COVID-19 update from the UK's Department for Health and Social Care in collaboration with Public Health England, just updated, my bolding:
Originally Posted by DHSC and PHE
Returning travellers.
Based on the scientific advice of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) the UK Chief Medical Officers are advising anyone who has travelled to the UK from mainland China, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau in the last 14 days and is experiencing cough or fever or shortness of breath, to stay indoors and call NHS 111, even if symptoms are mild.

We are carrying out enhanced monitoring of direct flights from these areas. Passengers will be told how to report any symptoms they develop during the flight, at the time of arrival, or after leaving the airport.

These areas have been identified because of the volume of air travel from affected areas, understanding of other travel routes and number of reported cases. This list will be kept under review.

If you have returned from these specific areas since February 19, you should call NHS111 and stay indoors and avoid contact with other people even if you do not have symptoms:
  • Iran
  • Specific lockdown areas in Northern Italy as designated by the Government of Italy
  • Special care zones in South Korea as designated by the Government of the Republic of South Korea
  • Hubei province (returned in the past 14 days)
If you have returned from these areas since February 19th and develop symptoms, however mild, you should stay indoors at home and avoid contact with other people immediately and call NHS111. You do not need to follow this advice if you have no symptoms.
  • Northern Italy (defined by a line above, and not including, Pisa, Florence and Rimini),
  • Vietnam
  • Cambodia
  • Laos
  • Myanmar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.