Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Potential Impact of Coronavirus on flights to Milan & rest of Italy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Customer Guidelines: see post 97 for rebooking options for some north of Italy routes.
Print Wikipost

Potential Impact of Coronavirus on flights to Milan & rest of Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The reason I was given is that GOA is of course in Liguria, where there hasn't been much of a problem, whereas the other airports are in Piedmont, Lombardy and Veneto where there are more cases. Not my rules!
There's been 3 cases in Piedmont and 1 or 2 in Liguria... Go figure.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
There's been 3 cases in Piedmont and 1 or 2 in Liguria... Go figure.
The situation is changing daily, if not by the hour
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
We fly April 8 so will sit tight for now. Thanks CWS for the full text.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:15 am

Im currently waiting to board a flight to Milan. I overheard check in staff talking about one of the earlier flights having 160 bookings and only 69 turning up. I also had a friend on a flight yesterday with 12 people onboard. I'll wait to see how many are on my flight but with these loadings surely schedules will soon be reduced.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I gather it is different for return services back to London. My outbound service had 11 in Club and 30 in Euro.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I gather it is different for return services back to London. My outbound service had 11 in Club and 30 in Euro.
My flight to London on Monday was packed.

This afternoon to Milan had perhaps 30 passengers onboard, we were told not to move about for aircraft balance. Notably not a single person bought food on either service and they offered 50% off on the London leg.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC
I wonder if they will reduce services soon and switch the aircraft onto other more ‘popular’ routes, like they have done with Long Haul routes/aircraft.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by hjd36
My daughter is due to get married to her Italian fiance in mid April on Lake Garda. Most people are coming from the UK and all flights and hotels are booked. We are watching the situation very nervously.
my favorite place
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
I wonder if they will reduce services soon and switch the aircraft onto other more ‘popular’ routes, like they have done with Long Haul routes/aircraft.
I’m seeing cancellations on LHR-LIN fights starting today. At least one daily into the next week.

Last edited by Non Compos Mentis; Feb 26, 2020 at 11:44 am Reason: LIN not LHR-LHR
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:04 pm

Italian media reporting BA have cancelled 22 flights between now and 11 March due to lack of demand.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by British Airways
To match reduced demand due to the continuing coronavirus issue, we are merging a small number of flights to and from Milan.

We will be contacting customers on cancelled flights so we can discuss their travel options including alternative British Airways flights within two hours of their original departure time where possible, full refunds or booking for a later date of travel.

We understand that some customers flying to/from northern Italy may wish to change their travel plans and have introduced flexible booking options.
​​​​​​
I believe it is just Linate - Bergamo and Malpensa are not affected., but I haven't double checked this.
BERbound likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
I’m due to fly DXB-LHR-LIN next week and after 3 days LIN-LHR-DOH-DPS. I’m not even going to Milan but to Turin country side, I hope I won’t get stuck there.
So far these are the only updates I could find, BA merging flights to and from LIN due to lower demand.

https://www.lse.co.uk/news/british-a...kikpfjdqi.html
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:36 pm

from the BBC

"British Airways cancels Milan flights

British Airways has cancelled dozens of flights to Milan due to a drop in demand.

The airline said it would merge a number of its flights between London Heathrow and Milan's Linate Airport for the next two weeks.

The airline has also introduced flexible booking options for customers who have booked flights to and from northern Italy
"
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:00 pm
Suspended

It’s AZ v BA on LCY-LIN, fares for Friday are pretty good.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by 1010101
Im currently waiting to board a flight to Milan. I overheard check in staff talking about one of the earlier flights having 160 bookings and only 69 turning up. I also had a friend on a flight yesterday with 12 people onboard. I'll wait to see how many are on my flight but with these loadings surely schedules will soon be reduced.
Sounds attractive. 91 lots of APD not handed over. 91 lots of Heathrow charges not handed over. 91 reductions in fuel burn. Will have been a hugely profitable flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.