Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy thinking of squeezing a trip to LA a few days before my next booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I crazy thinking of squeezing a trip to LA a few days before my next booking?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed....and then they'll only have themselves to blame if it doesn't turn out to be as enjoyable as a weekend away in Glasgow eating a fish supper
Throw in a can of Irn Bru as well and it's a date.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I think it will be a waste of money/avios, time, and energy, and it will take away from the MSY trip. I also suggest a quick trip to Europe or Mediterranean region instead, or nothing at all.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
A little crazy is fine in my book, so I wouldn't dwell on that. If you are OK with the opportunity cost of the Avios & cash expenditure on this trip, I say go for it. If you anticipate exhaustion and eventual remorse, then don't.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
In answer to the original question:yes
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
If you can afford it and you want to do it then crack on son. You won't die and you'll probably make some great memories.
My level of craziness is returning to UK from a week in Florida and flying the next day to Australia. All in the cheap seats tool

Spike
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:30 pm

I'd suggest saving the Avios for a trip later in the year.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:00 pm

I haven't checked the forecast, but have you thought of a quick few days in Tel Aviv? With only a two hour time difference and a flight half the length, it can be a great option for a few days in the sun. Late January can see some rainstorms, but you can equally get some pleasant, sunny weather and see the temperatures inch up towards 20C. Great food town as well.

Accommodation will generally be a bit expensive, although there should be some deals this time of year. And your Avios would likely stretch to a WT+ or even business redemption.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by makin'miles
I haven't checked the forecast, but have you thought of a quick few days in Tel Aviv? With only a two hour time difference and a flight half the length, it can be a great option for a few days in the sun. Late January can see some rainstorms, but you can equally get some pleasant, sunny weather and see the temperatures inch up towards 20C. Great food town as well.

Accommodation will generally be a bit expensive, although there should be some deals this time of year. And your Avios would likely stretch to a WT+ or even business redemption.

This was going to be my #1 recommendation or for that matter elsewhere in the Middle East given the comparatively very short flighty time to LAX and ease of getting some very nice places to stay but frankly Spinstorm might find that all as
boring as they find Europe!

Forgive me also but I found it a bit annoying that they asked for advice but in subsequent posts left the impression that really they just want to go to not so sunny LA for a weekend, 11 hours in economy via not so great Avios deal. Hey- if you want to go to LA and stay in a worn out hotel near the LAX airport just go for it! why need any validation or other ideas from us random people on the interwebs. Do what makes you happy!

Last edited by Fly_IAD; Jan 19, 2020 at 2:25 pm
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I could see this trip if it was some special fare or mileage/status run (or a very unique Avios opportunity for a special trip), but sandwiching it like that between two other vacation trips and spending your own miles it seems like travel becomes an obsessive activity, waste of miles in my view...

Last edited by nk15; Jan 19, 2020 at 2:51 pm
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are bored, so to relieve it you are thinking of spending over 11 hours sitting on a plane to fly across the atlantic to then 2 days later spend over 11 hours sitting on a plane overnight

I think that the answer to the question posed is Yes
That reminds me, last year just for a giggle and for something to do over a holiday weekend here in the US, my wife and I flew LAX-HKG-LAX-SAN for dinner. We took off late on the Friday evening and landed Sunday morning. We did a bit of sightseeing after dropping our luggage at our hotel and picked out a place for dinner. Had some drinkies, enjoyed dinner and went to bed. We got up on the Monday morning and did a bit more sightseeing and headed to the airport for the 6PM departure that landed at 4PM the same day in LAX and then down to SAN later that evening.

The Hong Kong weather was bleeding miserable though and although we booked into PE we were lucky to get a miles and copay upgrade into J for the flight home. I would do something similar again if I got the chance.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by makin'miles

I wouldn't expect TLV accommodations to be any more expensive than LAX.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Are you completely crazy? Well, not completely...

Would this be crazy in my own frame of reference? Yes, definitely. And putting my (totally unqualified, since I'm not) shrink hat on, it suggests either such a degree of ennui or some discomfort with the thought of being 'home alone', or some harking for some 'factor X' in the US -- "all of Europe is boring" -- really?? [and sitting in a metal tube for 22hrs isn't...?]

Doing a crazy set of back to back trips, even in Y, to see a loved one, once in a lifetime concert/ event/ restaurant reservation, all very understandable, at least to a degree. But slumming it in an LAX hotel, with no (declared) plans suggests otherwise....

For me, if I really couldn't think of _anything_ to do (read a couple of good books??), for the GBP1k+ (in cash/points etc) this trip is going to cost, not factoring in the food, I would splurge on two or three spectacular meals in London, or Paris...but that's because I love food and eating out, perhaps you don't.

But heck, it's your time and money, and some people do all sorts, e.g. 18hrs in lounges, for, err, lounging. So enjoy...

tb
Misco60 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:23 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
I've got a crazy week coming up in 2 weeks, I'm in Helsinki the same time as the mini do, Monday fly in Y to LA for work back Thursday night and I'm doing two b2bs to Sofia over the weekend.

Two things are going to happen. My bum is going to be score and I will need to spend a week in the gym.

But I will be gold after... all for a plastic card. I really hope its worth it?

Also, does anyone know of good blogs for people who don't have long in a place? Maybe a crew blog or something of what to do on an overnight in a city?

Last edited by pacenotes; Jan 20, 2020 at 5:04 am
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Mad? Of course. Barking.

That said, when I think of what we used to get up to when I flew for BCAL, a LAX hop is a doddle. We'd go off for weekends in DXB, then come back and work our flights be they long or short haul. Coming back on a Monday morning and being ready to go off to work down to Rio (which I did on one occasion) was not unusual. I think that on one occasion I slept for practically the whole layover.

Now my days de folie are over. Enjoy yours. Just two minor things. At this time of year, if someone in F sneezes the entire aircraft will catch cold and second, wear your compression socks. Yes it is madness, but then this is the chatboard where the lunatics run the asylum. I recall AA Forum where people would fly in from ORD and go straight to the Admiral's Lounge and back to back home to ORD. This was circa 2000 so nothing changes.

I really think that some people here get high on Kerosene.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I understand the obsession with travel, and over the years have done way more than my own fair share of crazy travelling. I've had shopping weekends in New York, nipped to Zurich to buy chocolate, flown to Athens for a night out and once went to Sydney for a weekend, on a whim, in Y, to see Kylie Minogue perform at Mardi Gras. So I completely understand a love of travelling and would never seek to dissuade someone from doing so.

I would say to the OP, if this is what you want to do and you'll get a kick out of it and it'll make you happy then go for it. Absolutely. That's what life is for.

However, I get the impression that you know it wouldn't make you happy or give you a kick; you're just so bored that you're seriously considering a short (and expensive and very uncomfortable) long-haul trip for no reason other than to fill the gap between two long-haul holidays. In which case I think - very respectfully - that you need take a good look at why you're so bored with everything and make some changes. Get a hobby. It can be a completely nerdy hobby (as mine are), as long as it enthuses you and lets you fill days on which you would otherwise have nothing else to do.

Spend the next two weeks doing something else. Travel if you want, but make it an easy trip - I'm sure you'll find something in Europe to interest you. And when your next proper holiday comes around you'll be rested, refreshed and ready for it.
Strawb and tobsw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.