FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Am I crazy thinking of squeezing a trip to LA a few days before my next booking? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2005047-am-i-crazy-thinking-squeezing-trip-la-few-days-before-my-next-booking.html)

Spinstorm Jan 18, 20 3:03 pm

Am I crazy thinking of squeezing a trip to LA a few days before my next booking?

I have a week in New Orleans booked for 29th January. I just returned on Wednesday from Nashville (Chicken bone gate lol).

I am currently in a jobless limbo waiting for my new job to start in February and I am incredibly bored.
I potentially could make an avios booking for next Wednesday to Saturday in Economy to LA but I think thatís a bit crazy.
(Love the weather in California).

As just a few days later I am off again. I am thinking I will feel unwell from travelling that much in that short a time period.

But with nothing else to do it is definitely something that I am tempted to do. I have travelled quite a bit over the last 2 years but I am by no means the most travelled here so is it a good idea or a stupid one?

The _Banking_Scot Jan 18, 20 3:17 pm

Hi,

The flight to LA and back ( in Y ) will be long and tiring. Are there any closer places to go to ie europe that interest you? given that you are going back to New Orleans shortly after ( could you do a LAX trip from NO?)

That said , if you want to do it go for it ( I did a three night stay in tokyo at the start of 2019 from CDG and back via LHR ( but that was in JAL F)

Good luck!

Regards

TBS

Spinstorm Jan 18, 20 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 31966952)
Hi,

The flight to LA and back ( in Y ) will be long and tiring. Are there any closer places to go to ie europe that interest you? given that you are going back to New Orleans shortly after ( could you do a LAX trip from NO?)

That said , if you want to do it go for it ( I did a three night stay in tokyo at the start of 2019 from CDG and back via LHR ( but that was in JAL F)

Good luck!

Regards

TBS

My flight to MSY via MIA and ORD coming back is a BA holiday booking with hotels. I would love to spend a few hours in Miami and move my connecting AA flight to the last flight of the day but I am not sure I can even do that. So it is definitely a case of having to come back and go out again.

I donít really find Europe that interesting if I am honest. But open to other suggestions. It is really down to how close the next trip is that is the reason for my question. I would happily fly anywhere for 3 days if thatís all the time I have.

TedToToe Jan 18, 20 3:22 pm

I must admit, anything over 8 or 9 hours, I’ve vowed that it has to be a minimum of WT+. That said, if you’ve got the time and avios, then go for it!

Spinstorm Jan 18, 20 3:28 pm

I asked the question about WT+ on my Nashville flight and I have to say with Status and being able to book the back two seats on whatever plane your flying I haven’t really enjoyed it more than WT.

To LA - I had two back seats on the 747 so I had loads of room. Coming back I was in WT+ and had someone next to me so was much more uncomfortable and the food was inedible.

To Nashville - I did enjoy WT+ and had a spare seat next to me but with those fixed arm rests I was feeling restricted. Coming back I had two seats again and had more space and was much more comfortable. So I am not sure that WT+ is really worth it. (Other than for TP if you paid.)

TedToToe Jan 18, 20 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Spinstorm (Post 31966982)
I asked the question about WT+ on my Nashville flight and I have to say with Status and being able to book the back two seats on whatever plane your flying I havenít really enjoyed it more than WT.

To LA - I had two back seats on the 747 so I had loads of room. Coming back I was in WT+ and had someone next to me so was much more uncomfortable and the food was inedible.

To Nashville - I did enjoy WT+ and had a spare seat next to me but with those fixed arm rests I was feeling restricted. Coming back I had two seats again and had more space and was much more comfortable. So I am not sure that WT+ is really worth it. (Other than for TP if you paid.)

Iíve tended to use WT+ on flights operated by 787s; most recently ICN and BWI. On the 787, at least, WT+ is noticeably better.

rossmacd Jan 18, 20 3:46 pm

Your trips are nothing crazy whatsoever. It’s actually fairly normal for frequent business travellers.

The crazy thing is that you are considering travelling lower than J, but that’s your choice :)

Spinstorm Jan 18, 20 3:50 pm

I don’t have enough Avios for J :) - my flight to MSY is in F

Also LAX only has Y available as a reward flight next week.

missdimeaner Jan 18, 20 3:53 pm

Back in 2015 we had a month (December) booked to NYC.
Just before we went there was a sale - we ended up in Tokyo for 6 days...WTP returning exactly 6 days before our New York trip WTP.
We had a wonderful time- jet lag was brutal but it didnít stop us.
Personally I would go- but thatís me.

Reetmafreen Jan 18, 20 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Spinstorm (Post 31966908)
I potentially could make an avios booking for next Wednesday to Saturday in Economy to LA but I think thatís a bit crazy.

Its been a strange winter here in SoCal so far and next week doesnít look any better. Sub 70s and lots of cloud. OK beats UK weather, but not typical for this time of the year. Heating has been on here most days since I got back from spending Christmas in the UK.

MadamRiskCulture Jan 18, 20 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Spinstorm (Post 31966963)

I donít really find Europe that interesting if I am honest. .

:eek:
Where have you been in Europe?

wilsnunn Jan 18, 20 4:59 pm

I have a week in New Orleans booked for 29th January. I just returned on Wednesday from Nashville (Chicken bone gate lol).

I am currently in a jobless limbo waiting for my new job to start in February and I am incredibly bored.

As just a few days later I am off again. I am thinking I will feel unwell from travelling that much in that short a time period.

But with nothing else to do it is definitely something that I am tempted to do. I have travelled quite a bit over the last 2 years but I am by no means the most travelled here so is it a good idea or a stupid one?

If I had the time and the money to spare (as well as willing to spend the Avios for the flights instead of putting it towards a trip in F or J with a 2-4-1) then I would certainly do it. I love to travel and any excuse to travel I would take it. Some time to spare and the desire to go somewhere is more than enough reason in my mind.

I am sure that a large number of users on this forum will consider this normal travel anyway, although they may be more accustomed to doing it in J.

Schwann Jan 18, 20 5:22 pm

Avios redemptions in long haul Y can be notoriously bad value. Have you considered cash prices?

birdiedouble Jan 18, 20 5:27 pm

Personally I’d rest up for New Orleans, especially considering you’re there for a week.

Alec84 Jan 18, 20 6:55 pm

I could go to LA for just a couple of days from Europe. Even in Y. Especially in the winter when TATL flights tend to be less full in Y. Go for it and enjoy the cloudless skies and everything else!