Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Please do not quote photos in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Long haul in-flight catering | First

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
A nice light pinot noir might be an option (if one exists on the menu at the moment)?

I'm thinking:
Lamb --> Vichyssoise --> Beef --> Cheese

I'm a gluten dodger, so the halibut will be out for me (bisque usually has flour) unfortunately... although that said just fish and veg might be nice before bed!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I've been in touch with BA Catering and this is the allergen list for the menu.

Starters
  • Loch Fyne Scottish Kinglas smoked salmon, fennel and kasha salad, dill and mustard dressing-No Gluten
  • Creamy burrata with lovage pesto, beetroot, orange, hazelnuts-No Gluten
  • Roasted cannon of lamb with artichoke risotto, sautéed girolles-Gluten in both the Risotto and the sauce
  • Vichyssoise soup with Braddock Whites poached duck egg-Gluten in the soup
  • Seasonal mixed leaf salad with spicy lemon vinaigrette or creamy honey mustard dressing-No Gluten , but check packaging on the dressings
Desserts
  • Rhubarb and ginger timbale-Gluten, throughout
  • Chocolate chilli fondant, chocolate sauce, pistachio and almond mousse ball-Gluten, throughout
  • Vanilla bean ice cream, caramel sauce, raspberries-No Gluten
  • Chocolates by Lauden-Need to check packaging
And secondly, all of the dishes below are listed as containing gluten. Could I please ask which part of the dishes contain gluten?
  • Seared fillet of Hereford beef w/ tarragon jus, carrot purée, caramelised onion-Gluten in the Jus/Puree
  • Pan-fried fillet of halibut w/ British crab bisque, buttered samphire-Gluten in the Bisque
  • Breast of corn-fed chicken w/ mushroom croquette, celeriac purée, truffle jus-Gluten in the Croquette and Jus
We've resorted to ordering the GF meal and asking to choose the starters and ice cream for dessert. YouFirst are no help so we'll have to ask as soon as we board.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tentatively
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I've been in touch with BA Catering and this is the allergen list for the menu.

We've resorted to ordering the GF meal and asking to choose the starters and ice cream for dessert. YouFirst are no help so we'll have to ask as soon as we board.
That's incredibly helpful, thank you very much. Can I ask how you got that, was it through YouFirst, or do you work in BA? I'd be interested to know as if it's YouFirst then I might ask them, knowing that the bisque contains allergens, whether the fish is cooked / reheated in the bisque or if it is heated separately. If it's not all cooked together then I'll go for Salmon --> Halibut (sans bisque) --> ice cream --> cheese (with my own biscuits), otherwise I'll have to order the GFML, have the bland boiled chicken / cod (or whatever it currently is) and swap out the starter / dessert like you.

On a side note, how the hell they manage to get gluten in a risotto is beyond me
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:36 am

That's incredibly helpful, thank you very much. Can I ask how you got that, was it through YouFirst, or do you work in BA? I'd be interested to know as if it's YouFirst then I might ask them, knowing that the bisque contains allergens, whether the fish is cooked / reheated in the bisque or if it is heated separately. If it's not all cooked together then I'll go for Salmon --> Halibut (sans bisque) --> ice cream --> cheese (with my own biscuits), otherwise I'll have to order the GFML, have the bland boiled chicken / cod (or whatever it currently is) and swap out the starter / dessert like you.

On a side note, how the hell they manage to get gluten in a risotto is beyond me
Through sheer charm! I work at Booking.com, but didn't use any contacts in the industry. Manners and friendly chat to YouFirst got me the number for catering, but they weren't happy about it when I called asking and basically told me in future to ask YouFirst, who won't tell you because it's "policy", yet we can view it on the plane

The email from Catering ended with:
Please see below, We would strongly recommend that your partner does not order any items with Gluten in the dishes.

They are packed in the same container all ingredients and may touch the other items. Just by asking the Crew to remove elements does not guarantee the Gluten has been totally removed.

As I said yesterday either order the GFML meal on BA.com or contact BA Customer relations regarding this.

Sorry but we operate under strict industry /BA/Gate Gourmet guidelines regarding the allergens etc.
Make of that what you will, we've decided to just play it safe with the main course.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Tentatively
Through sheer charm! I work at Booking.com, but didn't use any contacts in the industry. Manners and friendly chat to YouFirst got me the number for catering, but they weren't happy about it when I called asking and basically told me in future to ask YouFirst, who won't tell you because it's "policy", yet we can view it on the plane
we've decided to just play it safe with the main course.
Well done!! Having read that I might do the same... I'm only in Singapore for 5 days, I don't want to spend the first two feeling yuk.
Tentatively likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci

I had the halibut and the bisque was served separately in a little jug. I don't know if there was any trace of it under the fish or somewhere - it wasn't on my radar to hunt any more bisque.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by HilFly
I had the halibut and the bisque was served separately in a little jug. I don't know if there was any trace of it under the fish or somewhere - it wasn't on my radar to hunt any more bisque.
That's good to know... decisions decisions!
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:29 pm

BA 279 LHR-SJC February 2020

February 2020
British Airways First Class
BA 279 London to San Jose, CA

Lunch

Warm bakery selection served with butter and the first DNA certified extra virgin olive oil Vubia from Castello Monte Vibiano, Umbria

Canapés
Air-dried ham with black olive, sun-blushed tomatoes and cornichon, grilled king prawn with Oscietra caviar, avocado and lime salsa, glazed goats’ cheese with quince chutney

Starters
Loch Fyne Scottish Kinglas smoked salmon
Fennel and kasha salad, dill and mustard dressing

Creamy burrata
Lovage pesto, beetroot, orange, hazelnuts

Roasted cannon of lamb
Artichoke risotto, sautéed girolles

Vichyssoise soup
Braddock Whites poached duck egg

Seasonal mixed leaf salad
Spicy lemon vinaigrette or creamy honey mustard dressing

Mains
Seared fillet of Hereford beef
Tarragon jus, carrot puree, caramelized onion

Pan-fried fillet of halibut
British crab bisque, buttered samphire

Breast of corn-fed chicken
Mushroom croquette, celeriac puree, truffle jus

Crispy gnocchi
Butternut squash puree, Dorset Blue Vinney cheese, chestnuts

Selection of Sides
Lyonnaise potatoes, glazed chantenay carrots, buttered savoy cabbage

Cheese
Gillot Camembert
A creamy and buttery texture, with a classic bloomy rind. This creamy unpasteurized French cheese has a pungent aroma but a very mild flavor that finishes smoothly, with no tanginess.

Barber’s Red Leicester
Named for its reddish orange rind, this firm yet crumbly cow’s milk cheese complements fruit and pasta.

Stilton
An English cheese, semi-soft, crumbly and creamy

Blackstone Vintage Cheddar
Aged for approximately 18 months which produces a robust Cheddar with a full depth of flavor and a firm rugged texture

Savory biscuits, fig relish

Desserts
Rhubarb and ginger timbale

Chocolate chili fondant
Chocolate sauce, pistachio and almond mousse ball

Vanilla bean ice cream
Caramel sauce, raspberries

Chocolates by Lauden

Snacks
Enjoy a light bite at any time during your flight
Salad of barrel-aged feta, watermelon, avocado, zhug spiced beans

Trio of sliders: katsu chicken burger, classic beef burger, spicy bean burger

Tyrrells Poshcorn

A selection of Tyrrells hand-cooked English Crisps

Seasonal cut fruit

Light Meal
Starters
Selection of appetizers

Cured beef bresaola
Tonnato dressing, anchovies, tomato, caper

Avocado hummus and grilled aubergine pepper salad
Kibbet batata, stuffed grape leaves

Seasonal mixed leaf salad
Spicy lemon vinaigrette

Mains
Chicken jalfrezi
Coriander rice, Bombay potatoes, garlic naan

Truffle linguine
Lemon crème fraiche

Dessert
Chocolate and orange délice
Almond granola, sugared pistachios

2/20
120F016-ROT2

Champagnes & Sparkling Wine
Laurent-Perrier, Grand Siècle NV, Champagne, France
Hattingley Valley, Blanc de Noirs 2015, Hampshire, England
Lanson, Rosé Brut NV, Champagne, France

White Wines
Lamblin & Fils, Chablis Premier Cru Fourchaumes, 2018, Burgundy, France
Jean-Marie Berthier, Pouilly-Fumé 2018, Loire Valley, France
Weingut Malat, Furth-Palt Riesling 2016, Kremstal, Austria

Red Wines
Chateau Cap de Mourlin, Saint-Émilion Grand Cru Classé 2012, Bordeaux, France
Bouchard Aîné & Fils, Maranges 2016, Burgundy, France
Tenuta di Renieri, Chianti Classico 2015, Tuscany, Italy

Dessert Wines
Chateau Filhot, Sauternes Grand Cru Classé 2015, Bordeaux, France
Warre’s, Colheita Port 2009, Douro, Portugal

Tobias-UK and HoneymoonFlyer like this.

Last edited by Carfield; Feb 17, 2020 at 1:03 pm Reason: Photos added
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:17 pm

Breakfast

I had the misfortune to be served breakfast on a recent flight. Mains included:
  • Mixed grill
  • Open egg white omelette
  • Buckwheat pancakes
  • French toast
  • Continental breakfast plate
I made the mistake of ordering the continental breakfast, forgetting that the UK is not on the continent. It was awful. The meats were flavorless, the cheese was low quality, but worst of all was the bread: three rolls that were dried hard on one end, and mushy wet on the other, each one of them. I haven't had such poorly warmed bread on a flight in ages, it was simply inedible.

The second meal was Afternoon Tea and while it was better, I wasn't impressed. The sandwiches were just OK, as the bread was dry. The scones were warm and nice. The pastries were actually very good.

All in all, a disappointing experience. I'm afraid I don't know which of the options I can recommend on breakfast flights.

Shuly

Cold cuts with inedible bread

Afternoon tea
Carfield likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Carfield
Champagnes & Sparkling Wine
Laurent-Perrier, Grand Siècle NV, Champagne, France
Hattingley Valley, Blanc de Noirs 2015, Hampshire, England
Lanson, Rosé Brut NV, Champagne, France

White Wines
Lamblin & Fils, Chablis Premier Cru Fourchaumes, 2018, Burgundy, France
Jean-Marie Berthier, Pouilly-Fumé 2018, Loire Valley, France
Weingut Malat, Furth-Palt Riesling 2016, Kremstal, Austria

Red Wines
Chateau Cap de Mourlin, Saint-Émilion Grand Cru Classé 2012, Bordeaux, France
Bouchard Aîné & Fils, Maranges 2016, Burgundy, France
Tenuta di Renieri, Chianti Classico 2015, Tuscany, Italy

Dessert Wines
Chateau Filhot, Sauternes Grand Cru Classé 2015, Bordeaux, France
Warre’s, Colheita Port 2009, Douro, Portugal
Exactly the same list on BA117 LHR-JFK yesterday. The Chablis was very good.

Shuly
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:32 pm

BA164 TLV-LHR 13 Feb

Canapés: goat cheese, lamb loin, prawn

Starters: roasted beef with artichoke

Main: Smokes aubergine ravioli

The canapés were brilliant, the roast-beef was meh, and the ravioli very good. I took the cheese plate for dessert, it was great.

Shuly

Canapes

Roasted beef

Ravioli

Cheese plate
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:37 am

Hello sorry to ask a silly question but does anybody please have the likely F wine list for mid March? Many thanks
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond
Flew BA 80 MCT - LHR in First a couple of weeks ago. Food was absolutely disgusting. Mixed grill was inedible - particularly the flabby chicken sausage. Service was dire as well - I had to ask for everything - not once was I offered a drink, cup of tea or even my meal. My wife and I wish we had save the money and flown Club World.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by CharlotteC
Hello sorry to ask a silly question but does anybody please have the likely F wine list for mid March? Many thanks
Not a silly question at all

From my conversations with You First they seem to get the menus at the beginning of the month. I'd give them a call or send them an email (link to contact here), see if they've got them now, if not you'll only have to wait little more than a week to get them.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:06 am

Not a silly question at all

From my conversations with You First they seem to get the menus at the beginning of the month. I'd give them a call or send them an email (link to contact here), see if they've got them now, if not you'll only have to wait little more than a week to get them.
Thank you - I know that they have the food menus (I spoke to them yesterday and they sent them and I will post later; I will call and ask for the wine lists
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:49 am

Got to say the photos of the food and the wine list in recent threads look great and better than my previous experience over the last couple of years. Have BA upped their game in F or have recent users got lucky?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.