Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Please do not quote photos in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Long haul in-flight catering | First

Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:16 pm
  #46  
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LON
Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,221
The steak

I specifically asked for my steak medium-rare yesterday in F to ORD. The CC lady said they would try, but she could not promise. It was superb, just how I like it. Compliments passed to CSD and Golden Ticket on the way.
squeeler is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:24 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: HFA
Posts: 1,714
BA117 London to New York 08:20

See the menus below for the meals you'll be served on your flight.

Starters

Freshly squeezed orange juice
Beetroot, apple, ginger juice
Fruit or Plain yoghurt
Medley of fresh fruit
Trio of salmon featuring cold smoked, beetroot cured and Gravadlax with lemon crème fraiche
Main

Mixed grill featuring Scottish beef fillet, pork sausage, back bacon and traditional breakfast accompaniments
Open eggwhite omelette with spinach and oven roasted tomatoes
Buckwheat pancakes with roasted figs, honey and almonds
French toast with turkey bacon, comte, cheddar and parmesan cheese
Cold plate with British cured meats and cheeses



Makes sense for breakfast, but by the time I will be served this my body would need lunch. Any suggestions?

Shuly
shuly is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:52 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 159
Originally Posted by squeeler
I specifically asked for my steak medium-rare yesterday in F to ORD. The CC lady said they would try, but she could not promise. It was superb, just how I like it. Compliments passed to CSD and Golden Ticket on the way.
I did the same on my last F and it also worked very nicely. The steak would stand up in a decent steakhouse let alone on a plane and coupled with a decent drop of Bordeaux made for a very pleasant meal!
squeeler likes this.
HoneymoonFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:13 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Posts: 2,270
Originally Posted by shuly
Makes sense for breakfast, but by the time I will be served this my body would need lunch. Any suggestions?

Shuly
The mixed grill sounds best for you. I'll have the same menu myself on a LHR-TLV flight in about three weeks, so it would be highly appreciated if you could update how the food was and whether there are any recommendations

Last edited by gordo6; Jan 17, 2020 at 10:53 am
gordo6 is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:05 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: HFA
Posts: 1,714
Sorry, mine is in four weeks so YOU will have to update ME...

Shuly
shuly is offline  
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:50 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PEK and BOS
Programs: BA - Blue
Posts: 4,547
PKX-LHR...what would you recommend

Flying BA F for the first time in about a decade later this month...menu doesn't look too inspiring:

Starters: grilled prawn/ smoked duck/ morel mushroom risotto/ vichysoisse (but with tomato!!)

Mains: seared beef fillet (no provenance)/ seabass/ tea-smoked duck breast (really -- having almost identical main and starter!!)/ penne pasta with tomato sauce (!!)

A couple of people have suggested it's _possible_ to have the steak done right...and although I find fillet a bit bland, it seems the best of a bad lot.

Anyone had this menu? Any suggestions?

And for dessert: other than cheese, it's opera cake/ apple-fliled crepes or vanilla ice-cream...

suggestions welcome.

tb
trueblu is offline  
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:12 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: London
Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Posts: 379
Originally Posted by GateLouse2
Mrs GL2 is not impressed with the menu for our forthcoming BA247 LHR-GRU flight later this week:

BA247 London to Sao Paulo 21:15

See the menus below for the meals you'll be served on your flight.

Starters
  1. Cured beef bresaola, Tonnato dressing, anchovies, tomato and caper
  2. Cropwell bishop Stilton cheesecake, red onion marmalade and caramelised walnuts
  3. Seared scallops, truffle pea puree, maple cured gammon, pea shoots
  4. Pumpkin soup, sourdough croutons
  5. Seasonal Salad served with honey and mustard dressing

    Main
  1. Seared fillet of Hereford beef, tarragon jus, carrot puree, caramelised onion
  2. Pan fried stone bass, braised puy lentils, grilled fennel
  3. Slow braised pork cheeks, cauliflower, girolles and toasted hazelnut
  4. Ricotta black pepper ravioli, lovage pesto, charred leeks black olives

    Desserts
  1. Chocolate Hazelnut Slice and Earl Grey Curd
  2. Warm Apricot Sponge Pudding
  3. Vanilla bean Ice cream, caramel sauce and raspberries

    Cheese Plate
  1. Cenarth Brie,Cave Aged Wookey Hole Cheddar,Tomme De Savoie, Shropshire blue served with biscuits and Sweet Apple Croxtron Chutney
Will there be the option to choose from the CW menu?

Pre flight dining in the Concorde Room is the other option.

GL2
My menu to Miami next week is exactly the same. I too am not exactly excited by the food choices.

I had the steak on my F flight last January to SFO and it was dry and tough and honestly I forgot I even ate because it was so mediocre.
Spinstorm is offline  
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:23 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Diego
Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Posts: 1,222
Originally Posted by GateLouse2
Mrs GL2 is not impressed with the menu for our forthcoming BA247 LHR-GRU flight later this week:

BA247 London to Sao Paulo 21:15

See the menus below for the meals you'll be served on your flight.

Starters
  1. Cured beef bresaola, Tonnato dressing, anchovies, tomato and caper
  2. Cropwell bishop Stilton cheesecake, red onion marmalade and caramelised walnuts
  3. Seared scallops, truffle pea puree, maple cured gammon, pea shoots
  4. Pumpkin soup, sourdough croutons
  5. Seasonal Salad served with honey and mustard dressing

    Main
  1. Seared fillet of Hereford beef, tarragon jus, carrot puree, caramelised onion
  2. Pan fried stone bass, braised puy lentils, grilled fennel
  3. Slow braised pork cheeks, cauliflower, girolles and toasted hazelnut
  4. Ricotta black pepper ravioli, lovage pesto, charred leeks black olives

    Desserts
  1. Chocolate Hazelnut Slice and Earl Grey Curd
  2. Warm Apricot Sponge Pudding
  3. Vanilla bean Ice cream, caramel sauce and raspberries

    Cheese Plate
  1. Cenarth Brie,Cave Aged Wookey Hole Cheddar,Tomme De Savoie, Shropshire blue served with biscuits and Sweet Apple Croxtron Chutney
Will there be the option to choose from the CW menu?

Pre flight dining in the Concorde Room is the other option.

GL2
We had the exact same menu on our LHR-SAN flight earlier this month. As I wanted to buddy dine with my wife, the fish and the pork cheeks were out, so that left the beef for me and the ravioli for my wife. The beef wasn’t as tough as I expected, but was way over cooked for my liking. My wife was not impressed with the ravioli and only ate around 1/3 of the dish. She did say that she rather enjoyed the soup though.
Reetmafreen is offline  
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:01 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PEK and BOS
Programs: BA - Blue
Posts: 4,547
Originally Posted by Spinstorm
My menu to Miami next week is exactly the same. I too am not exactly excited by the food choices.

I had the steak on my F flight last January to SFO and it was dry and tough and honestly I forgot I even ate because it was so mediocre.
This menu looks far better than mine tbh...the scallops have had good feedback.

tb
trueblu is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:51 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
As I wanted to buddy dine with my wife, the fish and the pork cheeks were out, so that left the beef for me and the ravioli for my wife. .
Why were the fish and pork cheek out because you wanted to buddy dine? Or do you mean they ran out before they got to you?
Dom Fly is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:06 am
  #56  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Posts: 971
Originally Posted by DFB_london
for such a late departure I suspect a lot of the cabin will probably do the soup, salad, then sleep. So, you may have a wide choice - ie if one dish doesn’t work try another.
However, that looks like a pretty usual menu to me so not sure what you expect? Airline PR can tend to over talk up F food - but unless you travel Air France, JAL or Lufthansa, the days Michelin like cooking (Air France), £750 a bottle bubbles (Salon on JAL, until this year) or GG Riesling (Lufithansa) have gone.
Sadly Riesling doesn't match the quality of French or other world premium wines.
icegirl is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:11 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Diego
Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Posts: 1,222
Originally Posted by Dom Fly
Why were the fish and pork cheek out because you wanted to buddy dine? Or do you mean they ran out before they got to you?
My wife is on medication that can make her feel quite queasy at times. The smell of the fish, or even just the mention of pork cheeks would have resulted in me wearing the third of the plate of ravioli that she did manage to eat.
Reetmafreen is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:09 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: London / Brighton
Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Posts: 1,697
Here's my menu for LHR-SIN 21 Feb 2020:

BA11 London to Singapore 18:55

Starters
  • Loch fyne Scottish Kinglas smoked salmon, fennel and kasha salad, dill and mustard dressing
  • Creamy burrata, lovage pesto, beetroot, orange and hazelnuts
  • Roasted cannon of lamb, artichoke risotto, sautéed girolles
  • Vichyssoise soup, Braddock white poached duck egg
  • Seasonal Salad served with honey and mustard dressing
Main
  • Sesame chicken with sesame sauce, fried tofu with celery and peppers, egg fried rice
  • Seared fillet of Hereford beef, tarragon jus, carrot puree, caramelised onion
  • Pan fried fillet of halibut, British crab bisque, buttered samphire
  • Pan fried gnocchi, butternut squash puree, Dorset blue Vinny cheese, chestnuts
Desserts
  • Rhubarb and ginger timbale
  • Chocolate chilli fondant with chocolate sauce and pistachio and almond mousse ball
  • Vanilla bean Ice cream, caramel sauce and raspberries
Cheese Plate
  • Gillot Camembert, Barbers Sweet Red Leicester, Stilton, Blackstone Vintage Cheddar served with Fig Relish and biscuits
Lucanesque is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:36 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Surrey
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, HH Gold
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Here's my menu for LHR-SIN 21 Feb 2020:

BA11 London to Singapore 18:55

Starters
  • Loch fyne Scottish Kinglas smoked salmon, fennel and kasha salad, dill and mustard dressing
  • Creamy burrata, lovage pesto, beetroot, orange and hazelnuts
  • Roasted cannon of lamb, artichoke risotto, sautéed girolles
  • Vichyssoise soup, Braddock white poached duck egg
  • Seasonal Salad served with honey and mustard dressing
Main
  • Sesame chicken with sesame sauce, fried tofu with celery and peppers, egg fried rice
  • Seared fillet of Hereford beef, tarragon jus, carrot puree, caramelised onion
  • Pan fried fillet of halibut, British crab bisque, buttered samphire
  • Pan fried gnocchi, butternut squash puree, Dorset blue Vinny cheese, chestnuts
Desserts
  • Rhubarb and ginger timbale
  • Chocolate chilli fondant with chocolate sauce and pistachio and almond mousse ball
  • Vanilla bean Ice cream, caramel sauce and raspberries
Cheese Plate
  • Gillot Camembert, Barbers Sweet Red Leicester, Stilton, Blackstone Vintage Cheddar served with Fig Relish and biscuits
I have the exact menu (minus the sesame chicken) for my flight to IAH on the 14th Feb.

The halibut sounds good but then I miss out on sampling the red wines. I suppose I could start with the lamb and a glass or red before switching to the white with the mains.

Decisions decisions!
Pgoodall is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:55 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: London / Brighton
Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Posts: 1,697
Originally Posted by Pgoodall
I have the exact menu (minus the sesame chicken) for my flight to IAH on the 14th Feb.

The halibut sounds good but then I miss out on sampling the red wines. I suppose I could start with the lamb and a glass or red before switching to the white with the mains.

Decisions decisions!
A nice light pinot noir might be an option (if one exists on the menu at the moment)?

I'm thinking:
Lamb --> Vichyssoise --> Beef --> Cheese

I'm a gluten dodger, so the halibut will be out for me (bisque usually has flour) unfortunately... although that said just fish and veg might be nice before bed!
Lucanesque is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.