Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Nicking of Airline Cutlery, glassware and blankets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nicking of Airline Cutlery, glassware and blankets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by nancypants
for those less technologically minded, is there an easy way to change this? They display beautifully on the mobile website which I think implies they have been posted thus
There's a multitude of photo editing apps available for both Android and iOS. I personally use Photo Resizer X for posting on Facebook or online forums.

Originally Posted by Qatar Airways
YES Mother.
Rather than trying to be poking fun, you could instead try to understand how it's common sense not to post some 4000-8000 pixels wide photos on an online forum.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They look fine on my tablet and PC in Chrome. Maybe the OP needs to look at his setup before dictating what others should do?
It's bloody common sense not to upload full size photos and use some size that will work nicely. It's anyway a waste of bandwidth as well and increases loading times. Especially it chokes up the bandwidth with many in-air satellite connections, combined with VPN. Also, if the publishing platform (in this case vBulletin on FT) doesn't scale photos inline nicely, then that too is a good reason. Thumbnails or clickable attachments would be better, since it works better for scaling, readability and bandwidth.

Originally Posted by Misco60
Whether they look fine or not, it's a real pain to have to scroll endlessly past large photographs to read the latest contributions to the debate. Thankfully, the thread has now moved on to a new page so it's not a problem any more.
Bingo. Someone who seems to understand what the issue is.
Misco60 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
It's bloody common sense not to upload full size photos and use some size that will work nicely. It's anyway a waste of bandwidth as well and increases loading times. Especially it chokes up the bandwidth with many in-air satellite connections, combined with VPN. Also, if the publishing platform (in this case vBulletin on FT) doesn't scale photos inline nicely, then that too is a good reason. Thumbnails or clickable attachments would be better, since it works better for scaling, readability and bandwidth.
As I said... they scale perfectly well using vBulletin (see below). Just because it doesn't work for you, I'm not going to start using software to resize pictures.

Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
In my young air enthusiast days I thought it was really exciting to have real glasses and steel cutlery on board. Even those paper bar mats with the airline logo,

I used to have a big collection; my partner made me throw them out! I used to have gems like an Air UK wine glass :-)

I still have a concorde safety card

I am surprised a crew member hasn’t been along and given their perspective.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:49 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by squawk
Several posters have mentioned purchasing old designs when airlines refresh their ranges of glassware, crockery and cutlery. Is there any particular place that these are advertised for sale? I don’t recall seeing any, but then again haven’t looked!
There is a shop in Zurich that has everything from old Swissair, SAS, BA etc. Trolleys up to the cutlery and glassware.
Sometimes there are also sales from the airline. Just recently Edelweiss (A Swiss subsidary) sold around 60 old meal trolleys.

There are also online shops specialized on this kind of thing.
__________________________________________________ _

The only Airline memoria I have are the ammenity kits and the payamas and an old Swissair Captain Hat. And don't worry, I didn't steal it in flight directly from the head of the captain Or did I...?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Just recently Edelweiss (A Swiss subsidary) sold around 60 old meal trolleys.
I always thought that would make a cool bar for the house - but they are pretty pricey (~1.5k).

Maybe I can just ask the cabin crew on my next flight if it is OK to take one?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Really? (@Nick Art) I have no idea where that is and did not know it existed (the Swissair memorabilia shop). Wonder if they'd like some old timetables?
In fact, I have loads of old paper timetables, many of airlines that have long ceased to exist.
Concerning memorabilia, I have some Crossair glasses because they were so generous with the champagne I was often still emptying my glass during the landing phase! Otherwise, that's it.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LCY8737
I always thought that would make a cool bar for the house - but they are pretty pricey (~1.5k).

Maybe I can just ask the cabin crew on my next flight if it is OK to take one?
Go ahead and do report back!

I once had a internship at a place that built those meal trolleys not for airlines but for sale to the public. 1k+ $ in price sadly, production cost wise a fraction obviously. I think the material adds up to not even 100 $ (not counting the work hours, which in Switzerland aren't exactly cheap). We also built one with a winde cooler inside, which I thought was pretty cool.
They didn't let me keep one sadly :P It's still on my list of things to aquire though!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:04 am

I really don't understand the compulsion some folk feel to steal stuff and then stash it in a cupboard with all the rest. Is it exercising entitlement? Is it sticking two fingers up to the organisation? Is it proving to themselves they are edgy? I guess different folk have differing motivations but none of it chimes with me. I understand people stealing things to use, but as others have said I haven't seen anything nice enough to be tempted to consider that.

On the subject of common sense, I remember years back chatting to someone from part of the former Soviet Union who had never travelled much and had not realised that minibar items were chargeable. He asked me a lot of questions about how to know whether something is free to take/use or not, and I realised that it's not logical or consistent. Just because we have been conditioned so that it's obvious to us, doesn't make it so to all. For example in general terms you would probably say - the pen, yes; the robe, no; the bottle of water on the desk, yes; the bottle of water in the minibar, no; the tea & coffee, yes; the packet of biscuits, yes; the packet of peanuts on the shelf above the minibar, no; and so on. He kept asking me "But how do you KNOW?" and I ended up agreeing that it is often not made clear.
adrianlondon, awayIgo and T8191 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Concerto
Really? (@Nick Art) I have no idea where that is and did not know it existed (the Swissair memorabilia shop). Wonder if they'd like some old timetables?
In fact, I have loads of old paper timetables, many of airlines that have long ceased to exist.
Concerning memorabilia, I have some Crossair glasses because they were so generous with the champagne I was often still emptying my glass during the landing phase! Otherwise, that's it.
There are several shops like that actually. Many are old style and don't have any online presence.
The one I mentioned above is one I pass on my daily commute. It's located right next to Hegibachplatz: https://goo.gl/maps/dMwzZ56ZW89ohN3t6 I'm not sure if they buy stuff, but maybe they do. I think it's difficult to find them unless you physically see them. I'm pretty sure there are some in Geneva as well.
On the topic on timetables: You don't happen to have some old Swiss or Swissair paper timetables? I was once searching for one because I wanted to know what plane and what flight number I took in the 1998s. A friend of mine has some old Swissair Shares I could offer in return :P

Last edited by Nick Art; Jan 3, 2020 at 3:19 am
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:08 am

knocking is definitely a synonym for something else!
Auto correct. - apparently my iPad doesn’t talk British. Obvious I meant to ask is nicking a synonym for stealing ?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
OT but since you mention it, I must say that I really do miss those airline decks of playing cards! I spent many a childhood flight playing a game of patience on my plane tray table and no electronic game comes anywhere near. For some reason, decks of playing cards always have a very unique smell which I still love and I do think that they make for lovely presents and collectibles! OT hat off
An olfactive Proustian Madeleine.. smells can be so evocative, even decades later, can't they?
orbitmic and krispy84 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by awayIgo
Auto correct. - apparently my iPad doesn’t talk British. Obvious I meant to ask is nicking a synonym for stealing ?
Nicking is defo a synonym for stealing. See also “filching”
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Nicking is defo a synonym for stealing. See also “filching”
A google search comes up with the word souvenir (used as a verb) as a synonym for steal.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:13 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
A google search comes up with the word souvenir (used as a verb) as a synonym for steal.
interesting! Some of the other options are quite wonderful eg “scrumping”
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
As I said... they scale perfectly well using vBulletin (see below). Just because it doesn't work for you, I'm not going to start using software to resize pictures.
Firefox and Vivaldi both display the pictures as they're supposed to be. Assumably Chrome is doing an automatic image resizing, just like MSIE has the option to do. And your attitude doesn't solve the fact that it makes even simple web browsing, like FT, very tedious/congested espesically on satellite connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.