Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Nicking of Airline Cutlery, glassware and blankets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nicking of Airline Cutlery, glassware and blankets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
So how do you know what is and is not allowable to keep except when it is explicitly stated...
Mainly through exercising some common sense. Here are some examples:
  • Logo'd pen in a hotel: Yes
  • Dressing gown in a hotel: No
  • F Pajamas on BA flight: Yes
  • Silverware or other reusable items on BA flight (topic of this thread): Absolutely not
johan rebel, T8191 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
I believe things like salt and pepper shakers as well as coffee cups are designed to be taken. In fact, I took the Virgin coffee cup when I asked the FA if I could buy one and she offered to get me a clean one for free.

Things like coffee cups and shakers, especially in premium cabins, cost an airline pennies vs. the thousands we spend with them. Bringing a cute airplane shaped salt shaker or a mug to the office is a conversation piece as well as serving as free advertising. Even at home the airline probably reasons that you using the mug keeps their brand in the back of your mind.

An excerpt from Richard Branson:

The entrepreneur, who launched Virgin Atlantic in 1984, described how both his irreverent spirit and scrupulous attention to detail led to the accidental creation of one of the brand’s “best advertising” campaigns.

“I remember that one day my chief accountant was saying: ‘Everyone’s stealing our salt and pepper pots [off the planes]’ – they’re little windmills, people found them very attractive – ‘and it’s costing us, I don’t know, $3m a year’,” Branson regaled.

“So he suggested we take the salt and pepper pots off the airline. But instead of doing that we just wrote under the salt and pepper pots, ‘Pinched from Virgin Atlantic’. We got some of the best advertising we could at everyone’s dinner table.
Link:
https://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/03...rtising-weapon
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by golfmad
Mainly through exercising some common sense. Here are some examples:
  • Logo'd pen in a hotel: Yes
  • Dressing gown in a hotel: No
  • F Pajamas on BA flight: Yes
  • Silverware or other reusable items on BA flight (topic of this thread): Absolutely not
But that's the thing. To me, none of the above is "common sense" even in cases where I would personally reach the same conclusion as you when it comes to my own behaviour. F pyjamas are completely reuseable and so are the pens, why would it be common sense that you can keep those plane pyjamas that could perfectly be washed and offered to the next guests and not the blankets which can perfectly be washed and offered to the next guest are even typically cheaper to produce? Why is it is common sense that it is a complete no-no to keep hotel pyjamas when you travel to Japan but not on JL F? Or again, as I mentioned earlier, why is it common sense that you can keep your pyjamas on JL F but not your travel cardigan on JL J?

As for bathrobes in hotels, I fully agree with you that it is a "no" but not because of common sense, rather because hotels invariably leave little notes saying things along the lines of "please, enjoy this bathrobe during your stay. If you wish to take it home, please visit our souvenir shop where they are on sale" or some similar wording. Similarly, why is it common sense that one cannot keep the little plastic ramequins that airlines use on many Y meals (or again for CE desserts) and which BA pays less than £0.10 for, but can keep the earphones that they hand out in WT and could very easily clean and use again (indeed, some airlines do it).

Ultimately, common sense is precisely judged by the fact that an immense majority of people would make the same guess as to what is or is not acceptable. In this particular case, the sheer number of people on this thread reporting to keeping airline crockery or salt and pepper shakers suggests that it is perhaps not quite as "commonly" sensed as you suggest...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Alot of times if you just ask, they will give it to you. I once asked this FA is I could have a pair of her underwear and she said "ok".
pacenotes likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by smith80678
Alot of times if you just ask, they will give it to you. I once asked this FA is I could have a pair of her underwear and she said "ok".
Thief. The morally correct action is to buy the used underwear from a vending machine.
Flying Yazata and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
FFS, we even travel with our own Salt & Pepper mills!
You could be probably are over packing

Originally Posted by cplunk
Now there's an idea.

Every time I'm on a really obscure airline that doesn't service anywhere near home (in Seattle), like Oman air, or Thai airlines, nick a spoon or something with there logo and just kinda leave it behind whenever I'm at an barely known acquaintances house....
Oh the whimsical life of your barely known acquaintances
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: Mucci - Diamond Hairbrush
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
One of my dearest friends discovered after the death of his partner of many many years; a box containing practically a canteen of airline cutlery. He was shocked as he really had no idea. There is not much possibility of returning them as the airlines have all gone out of business (TWA, Branniff, Western Airlines - to name but a few.). I told his that if this the worst secret that his beloved had concealed then he should stop worrying whether this haul was contributory to these ailines demises and use them for his breakfast on the Terrace.

I do remember in the days when the Executive Lounge was exclusive and not the Waiting Room at Clapham Junction station - some woman loudly complaining that BA had changed their tea/coffee cups from Wedgewood Bone China to those coloured Now We Are Five cups.

"I haven't got a full set of 6 " protested she.
Maybe Now She Had Five.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
But that's the thing. To me, none of the above is "common sense" even in cases where I would personally reach the same conclusion as you when it comes to my own behaviour.
Common sense is subjective and comes down to a test of reasonableness. Different people will probably make slightly different choices regarding minutae (pens in hotels) but most will probably agree about the important stuff (reusable items from airlines*).

*I exclude BA F pajamas from this list.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by smith80678
At least you ask! It would be more than a larceny if you just took her underwear

Originally Posted by OUTraveling
Thief. The morally correct action is to buy the used underwear from a vending machine.
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
I believe things like salt and pepper shakers as well as coffee cups are designed to be taken.

Link:
https://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/03...rtising-weapon

Virgin Atlantic discontinued Orville and Wilbur their cute salt and pepper shakers. Just because the airline will let you get away with it doesn't mean we need to take advantage. Same goes for hotels, we all assume every hotel room no matter how posh or nice is covered in bodily fluid. Just a wide awake nightmare of a CSI episode meets the Real World season 29. Now we can all add to that or we not wipe off on the curtains. As much as I could deal with a vinyl wrapped latex luxury hotel I think we have to have some restraint. Thats what I would think of the various stolen mugs, spoons, ear phones... This guy wipes it on the the rugs and curtains.

Similarly, why is it common sense that one cannot keep the little plastic ramequins that airlines use on many Y meals (or again for CE desserts) and which BA pays less than £0.10 for, but can keep the earphones that they hand out in WT and could very easily clean and use again (indeed, some airlines do it).

Ultimately, common sense is precisely judged by the fact that an immense majority of people would make the same guess as to what is or is not acceptable. In this particular case, the sheer number of people on this thread reporting to keeping airline crockery or salt and pepper shakers suggests that it is perhaps not quite as "commonly" sensed as you suggest...
Common sense is subjective and comes down to a test of reasonableness. Different people will probably make slightly different choices regarding minutae (pens in hotels) but most will probably agree about the important stuff (reusable items from airlines*).

I think its an entitlement thing less so than common sense. My mother took earphones that had the two prong connector. How the hell could we use them? My mother felt we were entitled to have a deck of cards for the flight for each seat. She took that to mean we should get a new deck each flight for each seat. Like I said we never played cards on the trips. There was a deck that had been used but dozens upon dozens of unopened decks. Both bathrooms had boxes of lotions and shampoos and more in the closets too. Just like the Virgin Atlantic Orville and Wilbur salt and pepper shaker and playing cards before that there will come a time that after all the small thefts it add up to discontinuing the niceties. I guess if you feel entitled to take something take it. But dont be surprised at tearing open little paper packets for salt and pepper in the future.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
(reusable items from airlines*).

(emphasis mine) But that is precisely my point. Why are you excluding airline pyjamas from the list? What is the common sense logic behind it? Or why for that matter are you presumably excluding Y headsets which are also reusable?

And while this is only a guess on my part, I would tend to intuitively disagree that hotel pens are a borderline case if we go by majority balance and suspect that the vast majority of people who stay in hotels would consider that it is actually acceptable to take the pens hotels leave in their room. By contrast, I suspect that airline blankets or crockery would likely split opinion more.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Momentum57
My mother felt we were entitled to have a deck of cards for the flight for each seat. She took that to mean we should get a new deck each flight for each seat. Like I said we never played cards on the trips. There was a deck that had been used but dozens upon dozens of unopened decks.
OT but since you mention it, I must say that I really do miss those airline decks of playing cards! I spent many a childhood flight playing a game of patience on my plane tray table and no electronic game comes anywhere near. For some reason, decks of playing cards always have a very unique smell which I still love and I do think that they make for lovely presents and collectibles! OT hat off

Originally Posted by Momentum57
I guess if you feel entitled to take something take it. But dont be surprised at tearing open little paper packets for salt and pepper in the future.
An unfortunately example on this particular forum. When they started the new CW food concept, BA finally briefly introduced salt and pepper shakers instead of their hideous sachets. Sadly, they discontinued it almost immediately, not because people were "nicking" them but rather because the airline considered it an unnecessary expense to collect, sort and refill them.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 2, 2020 at 3:45 pm
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Nicking things seems like it will inevitably lead to them being 'enhanced'. If paying for Premium classes of travel, I really don't fancy eating my meal with a plastic knife and fork or drinking out a disposable plastic cup - really would cheapen the experience.

Naturally if they are made available to you (e.g. in the same way hotel toiletries are) then it's fair game.

I'd never dream of taking a glass off an aircraft. I will however admit to nicking a pint glass from a pub in my younger days; an act from which comeuppance was dealt swiftly as I dropped and smashed it after stumbling on a broken bit of pavement. Lesson learned.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:52 pm

Airline collectables have value and interest for many around the world.

I have been collecting airline memorabilia for years.
From trade shows and fairs to over stock and discontinued/surplus from the charities that British airways off load their old branding items too.
Huge amounts of product is also dumped in the trash every year by the airlines.

There are many sources to access these items,not just Ebay.
And certainly not just slipping a tea spoon or cup in your bag.

Vintage glassware

First class British airways

BA First class

The very last flown Concorde Menu

Inhouse Magagine Gourmet Gossip is a collectable.

BCAL a classic favourite for ex crew and the general punlic holds very fond memories.

Demand is huge for the very latest and vintage items and everything in-between.

The BA heritage centre sells surplus items they receive.

British Airways First

Virgin Atlantic Upper class

Virgin Atlantic Upper class 90s

virgin Atlantic Upper class 2000's

Virgin Atlantic 90s Moon and star design

British airways late 80s

British airways 2000s

Phillipine airlines Business class
orbitmic, passy777 and squawk like this.

Last edited by Qatar Airways; Jan 2, 2020 at 5:40 pm
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Moral of this thread seems to be that if anyone from FT comes to visit lock away the silver.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Worcester
Moral of this thread seems to be that if anyone from FT comes to visit lock away the silver.
They're only interested in Gold.
muscat and Tobias-UK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.