Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Nicking of Airline Cutlery, glassware and blankets

Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Having never nicked anything from a plane -Over Christmas I was at a friends house they had a kitchen full of nicked tea spoons, cutlery, glasses, mugs, salt and pepper and blankets from a variety of airlines and classes.

I Assume some things are designed to be nicked. Im not sure how they managed to get there hands on a royal dalton plate. Not the easiest thing to stick in your carry on.

anyone have any insider knowledges of how much BA has to top up its cutlery through your the year.
watersign likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SA100
Having never nicked anything from a plane -Over Christmas I was at a friends house they had a kitchen full of nicked tea spoons, cutlery, glasses, mugs, salt and pepper and blankets from a variety of airlines and classes.

I Assume some things are designed to be nicked. I’m not sure how they managed to get there hands on a royal dalton plate. Not the easiest thing to stick in your carry on.

Anyone have any insider knowledge of how much BA has to top up it’s cutlery through your the year.
A very old closed BA forum thread--> Airline crockery and cutlery thieves!

There are other threads on FT on this topic

Many collectible airline objects on sale on ebay and like site. How the sellers acquired them is another question

Edit
First class BA: is the short-stem glassware available for purchase?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 1, 2020 at 8:24 pm
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Many collectible airline objects on sale on ebay and like site. How the sellers acquired them is another question
I have seen quantities of stuff in Fishs Eddy in NYC and I assume that they buy it up when an airline changes to a new design. They only seem to have a Continental gravy ladle online at present though.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Guilty as charged your Honor. Momentos to remember happy times I call them.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS FC, LH M&M, ANA Mileage Club
On a recent BA flight I noticed the cabin crew scooping up and stuffing as much white company bedding as possible into the overhead lockers before landing as though they were gold tokens from the crystal dome.

I noticed a bunch of said bedding listed on eBay the other day and I suppose that's where the rest of the blankets end up....

It would be really interesting to hear the perspective of any BA staff who might have been faced with customers helping themselves to bedding or other such items...!
dylanc and ENTP like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or one could just steal someone's wallet and use the cash to purchase new items to your liking.
awayIgo, ttama, watersign and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by rewardingtrips
On a recent BA flight I noticed the cabin crew scooping up and stuffing as much white company bedding as possible into the overhead lockers before landing as though they were gold tokens from the crystal dome.
I think this is more a safety exercise, as you need to keep aisles clear for landing?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:47 pm

I take things like cutlery and the small dishes that nibbles and butter etc come in. I also take glasses. These are souvenirs of the flight.

They must have the airline logo on them to be souvenirs so I have always assumed the airline is happy for this to happen rather like hotel toiletries. No logo, no souvenir!

Glasses are useful to impress ones guests. But the rather small pillows and blankets are really useless in that context.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
For probably two decades, we've had a spoon from Korean Air in the cutlery drawer. I have no idea where it came from. No one in the family as ever flown KE and none of my friends regularly bring spoons to my house. I enjoy occasionally trying to figure out its backstory over a quiet cuppa.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
BA used to regularly sell off various pieces of crockery and cutlery, so don't necessarily assume that anything in private individuals hands was obtained by nefarious means.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Probably got a complete 12 place set... Missus has banned me from taking any more stuff!

Just found these in my bag... I dont even remember taking them yesterday :|
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Glasses are useful to impress ones guests.
If anyone served me a drink in a glass bearing an airline logo I'd be far from impressed: in fact, I'd be quietly thinking how tacky and tasteless it was.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:22 am

Programs: Varies
I took a few glasses from pubs when I was a teenager but quickly grew out of it. I now regard stealing from any company, big or small, as juvenile at best. It causes harm to someone, whether it's the cost passed on to other customers, blame given incorrectly to staff, or short term shortages for other customers.

I don't understand why anyone would think it's funny or clever. If you can afford to fly, you can afford to buy your own stuff. Keep some other firms in business.
lukew, glennaa11, awayIgo and 26 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:35 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Here’s a rather extreme example from a few years ago on Singapore Airlines: https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/ch...flight-cutlery
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:41 am

Programs: QF WP
I buy the retired stuff mainly cos I like the designs!
Qatar Airways and flygirl68 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.