Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

45 minutes to check in this morning at Manchester airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

45 minutes to check in this morning at Manchester airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Standing in the 'priority' queue on my last trip via MAN T3 (connecting at LHR to the Air NZ) one of their security guards barked that if your bag went to secondary screening it was your own fault so take your stuff our your bag or we'll make you wait 20 minutes. This was addressed to the queue in general and he was clearly unhappy working at MAG security. There is a real 'us and them' attitude about passengers at MAN.
Doing the LHR T5 >T2 connection was breeze in comparison.
This is also a nonsense as a number of bags get caught on "random" checks.

I got pulled last time for having an empty metal water bottle, put it back through and it got caught again on the "random" check.

The staff are the height of rude and aggressive there.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
This is also a nonsense as a number of bags get caught on "random" checks.

I got pulled last time for having an empty metal water bottle, put it back through and it got caught again on the "random" check.

The staff are the height of rude and aggressive there.
Maybe I've just got a nice face, but the staff at MAN are never anything but friendly and courteous to me. Then again, I'm always quite prepared with everything electrical out. Thus, I only get the occasional random check.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond
Flying AY out of T1 last week, noticed that a new “Premium Security” lane has opened. It is separate to the Fast Track lane and - despite being staffed - was completely unused during my 20 minute wait in the Fast Track queue.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
I saw that yesterday too. Nothing happening there yet.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:06 am

It's £10 for Premium Security rather than £6 for Fasttrack.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Dimond Amb
Fast track security tends to just mean a shorter line to wait in. You will still end up being met by the same pedantic security staff. I flew out of MAN T3 last week, my Ipad was pulled aside for a random check by the machine. When I told the guy that my flight was already boarding (I'd been 45 min in fast track by this point), he took the ipad to be rescanned and I could see him telling the agent at the conveyer belt to hold on to it for a few min before putting it through! Its the single worst airport I have used in recent years.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Jonathan2712
Fast track security tends to just mean a shorter line to wait in. You will still end up being met by the same pedantic security staff. I flew out of MAN T3 last week, my Ipad was pulled aside for a random check by the machine. When I told the guy that my flight was already boarding (I'd been 45 min in fast track by this point), he took the ipad to be rescanned and I could see him telling the agent at the conveyer belt to hold on to it for a few min before putting it through! Its the single worst airport I have used in recent years.
I agree that the security at MAN is bad, but you must have mega eyesight hearing to be able to know what they where you presumable were at the manual search position.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by Phorbas
Flying AY out of T1 last week, noticed that a new “Premium Security” lane has opened. It is separate to the Fast Track lane and - despite being staffed - was completely unused during my 20 minute wait in the Fast Track queue.
There's a recent thread on the UK & Ireland forum about this - 'Premium Security' at MAN

Interesting variation between the sales pitch and the T&Cs
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:43 am

Just had really rude security scanning staff at LHR- I commented that they must be graduates of the Manchester Airport School of Charm.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:56 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Just had really rude security scanning staff at LHR- I commented that they must be graduates of the Manchester Airport School of Charm.
I dread Security at LHR. They are so much more pleasant and accommodating at LGW. Actually, in fairness I would say that this varies from Terminal to Terminal as I rather think that they have different companies performing what passes for service. I just listen, speak when I am spoken to, outside normal polite greeting. What I do however is note who is chatting to whom (very F Wing). and any shouting or yelling at people. I do sympathise as the traveling public can be remarkably stupid and they have to remain patient and frankly, with some people, that is not easy.

I do urge you to write to your MPs if you find the service rude or sub-par

Even Heathrow dares not ignore an MP's letter, and that applies to MAN in equal measure. You are paying for this in all those taxes and charges buried in your fares.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:10 am

There were separate Premium and FastTrack lanes at MAN a few years back (the signage is still there I think). Premium was for Business/ First class, and FastTrack was for purchased FT.

It worked quite well, until MAN decided to lump it all together. Saying that, it rarely takes me more than 5 minutes to get through security.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There were separate Premium and FastTrack lanes at MAN a few years back (the signage is still there I think). Premium was for Business/ First class, and FastTrack was for purchased FT.

It worked quite well, until MAN decided to lump it all together. Saying that, it rarely takes me more than 5 minutes to get through security.
You can now purchase access to the Premium lane for £10!
'Premium Security' at MAN
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Up In The Air
You can now purchase access to the Premium lane for £10!
'Premium Security' at MAN
As mentioned 7 and 4 posts up....
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:34 am

Hope everyone else who has received a feedback questionnaire from MAN (dropped into my inbox this afternoon) has taken the opportunity to give them both barrels about security, parking & the general airport experience!
MaxFlyer and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mda03jb
Hope everyone else who has received a feedback questionnaire from MAN (dropped into my inbox this afternoon) has taken the opportunity to give them both barrels about security, parking & the general airport experience!
Yes, I received one and similarly they have had both of the Tobias-UK barrels. Here’s the link if anyone wants to feedback - it’s a very quick one page survey:

https://www.surveygizmo.eu/s3/901867...C_JobId=119500

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.