Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

45 minutes to check in this morning at Manchester airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

45 minutes to check in this morning at Manchester airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Originally Posted by 12939
I could have a mini-gripe about the car parking situation at MAN especially with taxis now clogging up the T3 MSCP by parking badly, double-parking etc. whilst they wait to pick up their passengers.
Well about 12 months ago, the airport opened a taxi/private hire holding area just off the airport where taxi's could wait for up to 1 hour without charge. The idea was they wait there until thier arriving passengers called advising that they were ready to be collected then the taxi would go into the multi storey, pick up the passenger, pay the £4.50 multi storey car park charge and leave. In & out in a couple of minutes.

Unfortunately greedy Manchester airport have now decided to charge taxis to wait in the holding area (admittedly a lower rate that the multi storey) but then expecting cab drivers to they pay again at the multi storey when collecting thier passengers.

Unsurprisingly most are no longer using the holding area but choosing to wait in the multi storey and pay just 1 parking charge.

No excuse for bad parking though.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Again, this is a BA issue rather than the Airport. I don't know who BA use for their handling, but it's up to them to ensure targets are being met.
I think it’s either Menzies or Swissport. Swissport are worse than useless. Waited 1hr 45mins for them to offload bags from a flight at MAN once.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by simon stingray
Well about 12 months ago, the airport opened a taxi/private hire holding area just off the airport where taxi's could wait for up to 1 hour without charge. The idea was they wait there until thier arriving passengers called advising that they were ready to be collected then the taxi would go into the multi storey, pick up the passenger, pay the £4.50 multi storey car park charge and leave. In & out in a couple of minutes.

Unfortunately greedy Manchester airport have now decided to charge taxis to wait in the holding area (admittedly a lower rate that the multi storey) but then expecting cab drivers to they pay again at the multi storey when collecting thier passengers.

Unsurprisingly most are no longer using the holding area but choosing to wait in the multi storey and pay just 1 parking charge.

With the exception of the bad parking, this is entirely the issue. MAG come up with a sensible solution and then ruin it by getting greedy and creating another problem somewhere else that they then come up with yet another punitive solution for. If they just kept it simple, people would use it, pay for it and then perhaps they could focus on actually solving the problems within the airport itself.
MaxFlyer and 12939 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
I think it’s either Menzies or Swissport. Swissport are worse than useless. Waited 1hr 45mins for them to offload bags from a flight at MAN once.
Yes - Swissport used to do AY when I was a regular on the MAN-HEL route. As I was waiting once, a full EK A380 deposited its passengers and they'd all got their bags and left by the time the AY bags arrived!
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yes - Swissport used to do AY when I was a regular on the MAN-HEL route. As I was waiting once, a full EK A380 deposited its passengers and they'd all got their bags and left by the time the AY bags arrived!
That does not surprise me at all. On that particular occasion it was about 5pm and there was not a Swissport soul in sight, and even their desk in the baggage hall was deserted. Appalling service.

Mind you, there are even worse at other airports.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by simon stingray
Well about 12 months ago, the airport opened a taxi/private hire holding area just off the airport where taxi's could wait for up to 1 hour without charge.
[... snip ...]

Thanks for the explanation. I knew about the waiting area, I didn't know about them charging for it.

It's like a smaller version of what happens with the Uber pickup area in the LHR T5 MSCP. I actually have some sympathy for the drivers, the area is completely unsuitable for people waiting to be picked up. The parking spaces are on the small side for anyone who values their doors; whilst the taxi driver might be careful, the same cannot always be said for their passengers.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
It's what I call a character building airport....
Old Nov 16, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nancypants
yes I’m trying to find some flights to the north of England at present and fear MAN may push me over the edge, LBA while the natural choice location wise suffers from the limited connections you describe. Currently wondering if 2.5 hours from NCL on the train is the smart idea?!

Hi, don't be influenced by flyertalk chats. Theres issues at MAN but they are all within tolerance - it can and often is a good experience.
I'd encourage anyone with issues at MAN to contact Andy Burnham direct who fronts on behalf of the 10 local authorities who own MAG - t @andyburnhamGM
MaxFlyer and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Telecasterman; Nov 17, 2019 at 6:33 am
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:59 am

Very grim at Manchester when going MAN-LHR-EZE and back last month in CW.

T3 is just a budget terminal and no idea why BA still use it (only terminal there that allowed airbridge access to domestic arrivals?). When is T3 being redeveloped as I know T2 is reopening next year?

The boarding process for BA flights is sub-Ryanair, no seats at the gates and queueing down the corridor even for CW.

Baggage delivery also a joke, my bag one of the first off but wife's was one of the last despite both having priority tags. Subsequently missed the pre-booked train home.

I'd use LBA but public transport connections are abysmal.

If only they'd start flying to LPL, without doubt the best and most efficient airport in the UK IMO.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
If only they'd start flying to LPL, without doubt the best and most efficient airport in the UK IMO.
Maybe it's nice and efficient because BA don't fly there?
Modo and rpjs like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
... If only they'd start flying to LPL, without doubt the best and most efficient airport in the UK IMO.
Not in my experience, I find LPL a dismal, soulless facility. If you find waiting in a corridor with no seats at MAN objectionable then try waiting outside in the wind and rain at LPL!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Not in my experience, I find LPL a dismal, soulless facility. If you find waiting in a corridor with no seats at MAN objectionable then try waiting outside in the wind and rain at LPL!
Never had that but always flown Easyjet from there rather than Ryanair which may have something to do with it. The terminal is no worse than T3 or T1 and arguably better as less crowded.

Liverpool is very efficient. Rarely longer than 5 mins through security and when we came back from Vilnius in the summer, we were in the car home 16 minutes after the plane hit the runway and we had baggage to collect. You'd be doing well to get under an hour at MAN.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Standing in the 'priority' queue on my last trip via MAN T3 (connecting at LHR to the Air NZ) one of their security guards barked that if your bag went to secondary screening it was your own fault so take your stuff our your bag or we'll make you wait 20 minutes. This was addressed to the queue in general and he was clearly unhappy working at MAG security. There is a real 'us and them' attitude about passengers at MAN.
Doing the LHR T5 >T2 connection was breeze in comparison.
Unhelpful pathetic attitude, but this is something I've heard from LHR Security as well. Thank heavens I only have to use MAN once in a blue moon. It sound like the pits.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
MAN joy!!!

ALL escalators, lifts and moving walkways linking T1 with the station AND its platforms may be working.
It could have been a serendipitous fluke last week, so more data required before hanging out the flags.

But I wouldn't bet on T3's escalators. These things take time
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Had my usual good experience on Saturday at T1. Drop off to EK lounge in 10 minutes.

A funny thing happened on the way. As our EK car entered the ramp to T1 drop off, a car in front of us had stopped just at the point where the parking bays start. So, basically nobody could get through. The driver got out and went to remonstrate with a taxi driver who must have upset him somehow - some sort of minor road rage.

This lasted a couple of minutes, after which, the driver returns to his car. He then drove off, and out the other side. I would love to have seen his face when he realised he'd have to pay £3 to exit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.