Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

45 minutes to check in this morning at Manchester airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

45 minutes to check in this morning at Manchester airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: BAEC
I was travelling through MAN (T1) on Saturday. The rejection rate at security was unlike anything I've seen before - rows upon rows of bags waiting for secondary screening. My bag wasn't rejected but the backlog of rejected bags was so large that even accepted bags couldn't get through for 10-15 minutes or so, as the conveyor belt was blocked up.

It's always seemed that MAN apply an especially low threshold for sending a bag to secondary screening. The staff were working very slowly and some of the passengers who had just had their bags rejected were genuinely worried (I thought with good reason) that they might not make flights in 1.5 - 2 hours. I counted about thirty trays in the secondary queue.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
OT but related to Manchester Airport.

In T3 multi story parking there are bays marked with a white and blue badge which says Premium Parking Only.

I’ve tried to Google what these spaces are and how to park there but I’ve found nothing. Even calling Manchester airport parking staff proved useless. The badges don’t have any contact details.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
I was travelling through MAN (T1) on Saturday. The rejection rate at security was unlike anything I've seen before - rows upon rows of bags waiting for secondary screening. My bag wasn't rejected but the backlog of rejected bags was so large that even accepted bags couldn't get through for 10-15 minutes or so, as the conveyor belt was blocked up.

It's always seemed that MAN apply an especially low threshold for sending a bag to secondary screening. The staff were working very slowly and some of the passengers who had just had their bags rejected were genuinely worried (I thought with good reason) that they might not make flights in 1.5 - 2 hours. I counted about thirty trays in the secondary queue.
30 bags is a low number- I have seen over a hundred lined up on trolleys in the central area.

I was told that they bought a (basically) experimental system, where the operator cannot over ride what the machine decides, they can only reject bags. Trays also get rejected if the bar code is not read properly......
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes, I received one and similarly they have had both of the Tobias-UK barrels. Here’s the link if anyone wants to feedback - it’s a very quick one page survey:

https://www.surveygizmo.eu/s3/901867...C_JobId=119500
They want name and email as the first question of a survey??
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by alex67500
They want name and email as the first question of a survey??
I suspect they want to ensure as best as they can that only unique responses are provided, and there is a £250 prize draw for those who respond, I had no qualms providing my name and email address.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Lots of poor airports but MAN is the absolute pits. I use it only because it is close to home. Have the misfortune to be passing through T3 on Sat am.
Crampedin13A and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Perhaps MAN in the future will offer for a fee FastTrack secondary screening of rejected bags.
Joeykins and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just done a feedback to MAN. It's the worst airport I travel through. Security is the pits.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
"Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes, I received one and similarly they have had both of the Tobias-UK barrels. Here’s the link if anyone wants to feedback - it’s a very quick one page survey:

https://www.surveygizmo.eu/s3/901867...C_JobId=119500"

So they can delay your security clearance for further inspection next visit. Just enter false info!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I suspect they want to ensure as best as they can that only unique responses are provided, and there is a £250 prize draw for those who respond, I had no qualms providing my name and email address.
Ok, I'm sure you have a point. I too have responded honestly to the invited email. I have been using MAN since 1979 on a regular basis and yes I describe the present experience(s) at meh mostly and sometimes ok/bad at present.

Some points if I may:
1.A general rant across a few threads here focusing on MAN Security doesn't really add to informed review/improvements - https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-ind...rity-overview/ - MAN is regulated by the CAA and those not experiencing a 'good' experience and or failure should inform the CAA.
2. Fulfil the survery if you so desire - Provide honest and focused points about the MAG airports current failings, with suggestions to improve ( I Have). Sure they might ignore.
3. Please bear in mind that folks on here (as per C-W-S prior post) have experience, family and friends with detailed knowledge as to working of these things.
4. Its by no means a 'bad' airport, yes its changing massively with the associated challenges .
T
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
OT but related to Manchester Airport.

In T3 multi story parking there are bays marked with a white and blue badge which says Premium Parking Only.

I’ve tried to Google what these spaces are and how to park there but I’ve found nothing. Even calling Manchester airport parking staff proved useless. The badges don’t have any contact details.
When you book on the website it comes up as an option, you'll see the T3 or short stay multistorey option and also a premium version of that.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Ok, I'm sure you have a point. I too have responded honestly to the invited email. I have been using MAN since 1979 on a regular basis and yes I describe the present experience(s) at meh mostly and sometimes ok/bad at present.

Some points if I may:
1.A general rant across a few threads here focusing on MAN Security doesn't really add to informed review/improvements - https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-ind...rity-overview/ - MAN is regulated by the CAA and those not experiencing a 'good' experience and or failure should inform the CAA.
2. Fulfil the survery if you so desire - Provide honest and focused points about the MAG airports current failings, with suggestions to improve ( I Have). Sure they might ignore.
3. Please bear in mind that folks on here (as per C-W-S prior post) have experience, family and friends with detailed knowledge as to working of these things.
4. Its by no means a 'bad' airport, yes its changing massively with the associated challenges .
T
Survey dropped in my inbox a while ago and duely completed in an honest manner. My issue with MAN is a bit like my issue with BA, the inconsistency.

T2 the other week for our TUI flights to see Santa was great, even coming back through immigration and time for baggage delivery.

My last T3 experience was dismal, it doesn't help that while they have a dedicated fast track Q they don't have dedicated fast track scanner, only 3/5ths capacity of one. I'm back there tomorrow morning at peak time so expectatio s are low, on top of that they have emailed warning of roadworks and suggesting allowing an extra 20 mins to get there.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Survey dropped in my inbox a while ago and duely completed in an honest manner. My issue with MAN is a bit like my issue with BA, the inconsistency.

T2 the other week for our TUI flights to see Santa was great, even coming back through immigration and time for baggage delivery.

My last T3 experience was dismal, it doesn't help that while they have a dedicated fast track Q they don't have dedicated fast track scanner, only 3/5ths capacity of one. I'm back there tomorrow morning at peak time so expectatio s are low, on top of that they have emailed warning of roadworks and suggesting allowing an extra 20 mins to get there.
Hi, T3 is not fit for purpose anymore, the fast track is a major bone of contention merging into a 'normal' optional lane. Just go forward and inform the staffer you are fast track and they should hold back the normal lanes.

The 'scanners' at MAN are not dedicated. they are mostly screened remotely.

Great point t about road works - Roadworks around Manchester Airport
"We wanted to let you know that between 6th January 2020 and 2nd March 2020 there will be some road closures and lane reductions on the highway network surrounding Manchester Airport.
We would ask all those travelling to Manchester Airport to allow an additional 20 minutes for their journey. Where relevant, diversion signage will be in place to direct our Guests.
Roads affected during this period of time will include:

Ringway Road
Thorley Lane
M56 Junctions 4, 5 and 6

T
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jonathan2712
Fast track security tends to just mean a shorter line to wait in. You will still end up being met by the same pedantic security staff. I flew out of MAN T3 last week, my Ipad was pulled aside for a random check by the machine. When I told the guy that my flight was already boarding (I'd been 45 min in fast track by this point), he took the ipad to be rescanned and I could see him telling the agent at the conveyer belt to hold on to it for a few min before putting it through! Its the single worst airport I have used in recent years.
Cant agree with this -yeah its not the best set up.

1. You were Fast Track? You flying BA? Club? Status? (I doubt it) - did you show the staffer your 'Fast Track Pass"? or just stand there?
2. Why would you not put a iPadi n a separate tray with you phone etc.. ?
3.No wonder you were pulled and annoying everyone else around you.

Last edited by Telecasterman; Jan 7, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: FB Platinum
MAN T3 was a breeze this morning - about 10 mins from arrival in the terminal to sitting in the lounge. Straight to the trays at Fast Track, no secondary inspection, a quick pat down after the body scanner, and away. The behaviour of the staff member at the scanner was rather rude, however. It could have been an attempt at Manc humour or just someone who really hates their job - very hard to tell...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.