Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

'Premium Security' at MAN

Old Dec 25, 19, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold

Just noticed that 'Premium Security' service is being offered at MAN: £10 "... gets you through security in under 3 minutes" (although reading the t's & c's this isn't actually guaranteed) and presumably offers the opportunity of looking down your nose at the folk in the 'Security FastTrack' queue. One would hope that the staff at the 'Premium Security' have been specially trained not to be condescending to their premium-paying clientele.

https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...ity-fasttrack/
Old Dec 25, 19, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by Up In The Air View Post
Just noticed that 'Premium Security' service is being offered at MAN: £10 "... gets you through security in under 3 minutes" (although reading the t's & c's this isn't actually guaranteed) and presumably offers the opportunity of looking down your nose at the folk in the 'Security FastTrack' queue. One would hope that the staff at the 'Premium Security' have been specially trained not to be condescending to their premium-paying clientele.

https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...ity-fasttrack/

Of course the downside of this is that the airport has to ensure that the regular and fast-track lines are sufficiently lengthy, awkward, and unpleasant to nudge people into spending £10 for a more civilised experience.

The airport is already doing sterling work towards achieving these ends: just a little extra effort should have "Premium Security" generating healthy revenues.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Dec 28, 19, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum
Marketing: "Our new dedicated lane gets you through security in under 3 minutes."

From the T's & C's: (emphasis is mine)
5.7 The Airport does not guarantee availability of the FastTrack or Premium Security, or a maximum or minimum queue length or time, or that the FastTrack or Premium Security queue time will be less than the standard lanes. All passengers are subject to the same security procedures and regulations and we therefore recommend that you allow enough time for the standard security and x-ray screening.

5.8 The Airport shall not be responsible for any passengers who miss their flight because they did not allow enough time to go through the check-in and security process.

So not worth the paper your £10 Premium Security ticket is printed on then.

MAN have plenty of experience of making FastTrack longer than regular security. I have posted on this several times. This is just the latest gouging attempt.
Silver Fox and roberino like this.
Old Dec 28, 19, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Complaint made to ASA for whatever that may be worth. But, totally and utterly misleading and they should not be allowed to get away with this sort of thing.
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:14 pm

What do you expects from the worst airport in Europe . Its not known as the S******e for nothing
roberino likes this.
Old Jan 22, 20, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
Complaint made to ASA for whatever that may be worth. But, totally and utterly misleading and they should not be allowed to get away with this sort of thing.
Quoting myself here, but this is what the ASA sent me today:

"Based on the information you provided, we have contacted the advertiser with a view to having changes made to the ad. We have asked them to remove the claim, “Our new dedicated lane gets you through security in under 3 minutes”, from their website.

Once we get an assurance from them that they will change the ad in a way we consider resolves the complaint, we will close the case. Basic information including the advertisers’ name and where the ad appeared will be published on our website, www.asa.org.uk. "
RichardInSF, IAN-UK and roberino like this.
Old Jan 24, 20, 3:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Has anybody used FastTrack in T1 since the new Premium lane opened?

Has it impacted FastTrack?

I get FastTrack as part of EasyJet Plus - so will be a bit annoyed if it's made things worse. It normally only takes me 5 minutes to get through.
Old Jan 27, 20, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
Quoting myself here, but this is what the ASA sent me today:

"Based on the information you provided, we have contacted the advertiser with a view to having changes made to the ad. We have asked them to remove the claim, “Our new dedicated lane gets you through security in under 3 minutes”, from their website.

Once we get an assurance from them that they will change the ad in a way we consider resolves the complaint, we will close the case. Basic information including the advertisers’ name and where the ad appeared will be published on our website, www.asa.org.uk. "
Still there!
Old Jan 28, 20, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well to be fair to them they only wrote to me last week and if MAN is as slow to respond as their security is, well we might be some time ! Perhaps I should have used a premium complaints line?
Old Feb 10, 20, 3:38 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Well, this morning there was a very smug and self-important looking security agent steadfastly refusing to processing anyone that hadn’t paid the the Iron Price for security, even though he was idle and his colleagues were busy. Clearly living off his tips.

What bothers me is that MAN will advise anyone who wants better than cattle-screening to pay extra for Premium or Premiare and be unsympathetic to the great unwashed.
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by roberino View Post
Well, this morning there was a very smug and self-important looking security agent steadfastly refusing to processing anyone that hadn’t paid the the Iron Price for security, even though he was idle and his colleagues were busy. Clearly living off his tips.

What bothers me is that MAN will advise anyone who wants better than cattle-screening to pay extra for Premium or Premiare and be unsympathetic to the great unwashed.
Why should he process you if you hadn't paid? If he had, then somebody who has paid would have to wait for you to go through.

How long did it take you to get through?
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:11 am

Oh, it looks like maybe the Premium Security wasn't selling so well at £10, as it's now down to £8
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:43 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Why should he process you if you hadn't paid? If he had, then somebody who has paid would have to wait for you to go through.

How long did it take you to get through?
Because it looks literally terrible when MAN has a reputation as having the worst airport security in Europe and their "solution" involves having three members of security staff stood idle. The Fast Track/Priority line has now been cut from stations 1 and 2 to just 2, so it's not an imaginary complaint that they have choked off that line to increase demand for the new Premium line.

I was in line for about 12 minutes. Not terrible in the grand scheme of things but there were only 3 people ahead of me. Shouldn't take that long. At busier times (with two stations) it has taken almost an hour to get through.
Old Feb 12, 20, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by roberino View Post
I was in line for about 12 minutes. Not terrible in the grand scheme of things but there were only 3 people ahead of me. Shouldn't take that long. At busier times (with two stations) it has taken almost an hour to get through.
Originally Posted by roberino
They wouldn’t redirect the priority line to the premium security station even though we were 10 deep on one scanner.
So, which was it? 3 people or 10 deep?
Old Feb 12, 20, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
So, which was it? 3 people or 10 deep?
When I got there, 10. It stalled with three people ahead of me for some time. The queue built up behind me while this was going on.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: