Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

45 minutes to check in this morning at Manchester airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

45 minutes to check in this morning at Manchester airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by nancypants
yes I’m trying to find some flights to the north of England at present and fear MAN may push me over the edge, LBA while the natural choice location wise suffers from the limited connections you describe. Currently wondering if 2.5 hours from NCL on the train is the smart idea?!
No. Remember this is FlyerTalk and the British favourite pastime is complaining. Whilst MAN has its faults most journeys aren’t that bad in the grand scheme of things and I certainly wouldn’t go out of my way and travel via NCL or LBA if your destination is best served by MAN.
HIDDY, rossmacd and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It has never been £10 for 10 minutes.

The drop off charge is £4.50. And has been since it was introduced in 2018.
The drop off charge is £3 for up to 5 minutes, £4 for up to 10 minutes and £25 for more than 10 minutes. It is the pick up charge that is £4.50 for up to 30 minutes.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
They refuse to help disabled/elderly passengers
I haven't seen this. Quite the opposite, actually.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
I haven't seen this. Quite the opposite, actually.
I agree, we always received help when necessary.

just arrived at MAN, Fast Track had 10 ahead of me, still through in under 10 minutes. Staff pleasant. The recently repaired escalator was broken again!
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

yes I’m trying to find some flights to the north of England at present and fear MAN may push me over the edge, LBA while the natural choice location wise suffers from the limited connections you describe. Currently wondering if 2.5 hours from NCL on the train is the smart idea?!
Depends where you want to get to / from. Which airline will you be arriving / departing? MAN isn't as bad as it's being made out on here - no worse that a lot of other airports I've traveled through. Spend £6 on a FastTrack security voucher (if you've not already got it), and you'll generally be through in 5 minutes.
Tobias-UK and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
... just arrived at MAN, Fast Track had 10 ahead of me, still through in under 10 minutes. Staff pleasant. The recently repaired escalator was broken again!
For clarification, that was 10 minutes from drop off to lounge arrival.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Sounds terrible. So much better in the US when you have to retrieve your baggage, go through customs and then re-check.
I'm just grateful when my bags arrive within 45 mins of me arriving at MAN, the quickest it's ever been was when the baggage handlers went on strike bizarrely. Immigration is totally hit and miss just like Security.

Actually given the hit and miss service MAN is a perfect match for BA really, lol.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
MAN is the only place where I have seen signs that show clothes irons are not allowed in hand luggage. Do people actually take irons on planes?
My mum takes a kettle......
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by redpalmetto
Without wanting to come across all 4 Yorkshiremen, but have you tried connecting at MAN, as I did from DUS en route to ABZ. The phone to summon the connection centre bus rang engaged for 15 mins, security had a major attitude and then the border agent was not at post for a further 20 minutes. Ended up complaining to both MAN and border force. Joke of an airport.
Wouldn't even entertain a connection through MAN, departing is bad enough, arriving (on domestic HBO) not so bad, pretty grim with bags or from non dom... Given they struggle with the basics I'm not surprised connecting is a disaster.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Manchester airport is culturally broken.

They deliberately accelerate the non priority queue
They take items out for scanning which are not required (hair straighteners)
They pull bags in for additional scanning if you question this
They refuse to help disabled/elderly passengers

It is hell on earth. in the course of my professional life I have met some senior mangers from the airport and they acknowledge it but do nothing.
I've complained numerous times to them, by email, Twitter etc, never get anything better than a generic sorry, if anything at all and nothing ever changes.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: QF WP
Depends where you want to get to / from. Which airline will you be arriving / departing? MAN isn't as bad as it's being made out on here - no worse that a lot of other airports I've traveled through. Spend £6 on a FastTrack security voucher (if you've not already got it), and you'll generally be through in 5 minutes.
it would be from east so options I’m weighing up at the moment include BA connecting to either MAN or LBA at LHR, CX into London, or possibly EK or QR into regional ports. Can’t say the thoughts of a 4 stop train ride to Bradford from Gatters is exactly appealing either 😂
Old Nov 16, 2019, 3:04 am

it would be from east so options I’m weighing up at the moment include BA connecting to either MAN or LBA at LHR, CX into London, or possibly EK or QR into regional ports. Can’t say the thoughts of a 4 stop train ride to Bradford from Gatters is exactly appealing either 😂
If you are coming into LBA or MAN anyway I'd take a QR direct flight to MAN. Bags coming off (if you have any) isn't going to be any different whether you go direct or via LHR, so you have immigration roulette to deal with but I'd take that over an LHR connection as you'll still be to the good time wise.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
I'm just grateful when my bags arrive within 45 mins of me arriving at MAN, the quickest it's ever been was when the baggage handlers went on strike bizarrely.
Again, this is a BA issue rather than the Airport. I don't know who BA use for their handling, but it's up to them to ensure targets are being met.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
If you are coming into LBA or MAN anyway I'd take a QR direct flight to MAN. Bags coming off (if you have any) isn't going to be any different whether you go direct or via LHR, so you have immigration roulette to deal with but I'd take that over an LHR connection as you'll still be to the good time wise.
Indeed, use EK/EY/QR rather than schlep through LHR. QR use T2 which is currently being more or less rebuilt - so I'm not sure what the current experience is like. EK & EY both use T1 which is just about functional
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The drop off charge is £3 for up to 5 minutes, £4 for up to 10 minutes and £25 for more than 10 minutes. It is the pick up charge that is £4.50 for up to 30 minutes.
Yes, sorry. Got my pick ups and drop off mixed up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.