Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booked AA using Avios, Schedule Change - Cancel Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

Booked AA flights for three incl. a kid for February originally with 2 hour layover in PHL. Canada to US. Got an email regarding AA schedule change, the layover is now 1 hour, still legal, but with a kid in tow, we don’t like our chances, esp. given that the second leg flight lands at the destination around 9PM.

Can we call BA to ask for cancellation without the cancellation fee? I have since rebooked us on a different flight with 3 hour layover at CLT. Much safer.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA is unlikely to make a change or refund the tickets when the arrival time remains the same and MCT is not violated. If you had been on AA-marketed tickets, AA might have done so as a courtesy, but even then a bit iffy.

Even with a kid, I don't consider a domestic connection of 60 minutes at PHL anything to worry about (presuming that you are arriving from a Pre-Clearance station in Canada). You have 45 minutes to make it from inbound to departure gate, even if the kid needs to make a "technical" stop.

There is also nothing which prohibits you from calling AA. However, as it is not the ticketing carrier, it is almost certain to refer you to BA.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Often1; Oct 14, 2019 at 10:43 am
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

With an enforced schedule change you may rebook flights to create a longer, more relaxed connection free of charge. The free cancellation option kicks in when the overall journey time (from origin to final destination) increased by 120 mins or more
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC G, VS G, Marriot Plat
Try contacting the AA Twitter team, they've been very helpful in the past even with stuff that you'd think would have been beyond their remit. Try a bit of charm and be clear what you want, i.e. find a flight with availability and give them the number. Best of luck.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
With an enforced schedule change you may rebook flights to create a longer, more relaxed connection free of charge. The free cancellation option kicks in when the overall journey time (from origin to final destination) increased by 120 mins or more
Thanks. Though in our case the overall journey time deceased due to the shortened connection.

Obviously if nothing goes wrong, 1 hour connection is fine even with a kid. However this is February and PHL we are talking about and a wise traveler with a 3-yo should not bank on everything going smooth...
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spanners
Try contacting the AA Twitter team, they've been very helpful in the past even with stuff that you'd think would have been beyond their remit. Try a bit of charm and be clear what you want, i.e. find a flight with availability and give them the number. Best of luck.
This is a BA ticket tho so I don’t see how AA can help?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
The OP has already rebooked, so it’s a bit academic.

1 hour sounds close, but ok. The thing to keep in mind that if the OP did have the IRROPS he’s worried about the marketing/ticketing carrier becomes irrelevant as the ticket would be under airport control. AAgents are very flexible with IRROPS situations and have a lot of autonomy.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
The OP has already rebooked, so it’s a bit academic.

1 hour sounds close, but ok. The thing to keep in mind that if the OP did have the IRROPS he’s worried about the marketing/ticketing carrier becomes irrelevant as the ticket would be under airport control. AAgents are very flexible with IRROPS situations and have a lot of autonomy.
Entirely understand — however we have been thru such winter snowstorm IRROPS and in such scenarios, we had to stay overnight at the airport more often than not since not many flights can make it out.

My priority is to avoid that in the first place.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The title mentions avios. My experience with aa is they are not that flexible on award ticket. I think the op would have had a stronger chance asking for a free of charge change to the routing via clt that they booked rather than book separately and ask for a fee free refund which I do not think is very likely in this case.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Booking partner rewards often throws up issues such as this one. The ffp (BAEC) can't do a lot because they are limited to award space offered by the partner (without an over-and-above effort to liaise with the partner airline). The operating carrier doesn't care as it's not their ticket (yet).

Considering that the new itinerary is still legal and in many respects an improvement on the original, it's hard to argue anything other than an OP wants to make a voluntary change, and therefore is subject to the cancellation/change policy of the ticket. Can't hurt to ask BA for a full refund though...
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
The rules that matter are the most generous of BA's as agent (basically vol refund for £35) or AA's as marketing airline for schedule change. As far as I can see, AA will give you the choice of a refund or rebooking in revenue bucket if the schedule change is 60 minutes or greater, so are those times quoted exactly: is it 60 minutes.

If the refund is available under AA terms, you might need to call or tweet AA to confirm this is the case.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by pauldb
The rules that matter are the most generous of BA's as agent (basically vol refund for £35) or AA's as marketing airline for schedule change. As far as I can see, AA will give you the choice of a refund or rebooking in revenue bucket if the schedule change is 60 minutes or greater, so are those times quoted exactly: is it 60 minutes.

If the refund is available under AA terms, you might need to call or tweet AA to confirm this is the case.
For the purpose of the broader audience as this situation is now resolved:

1. Prior to the day of travel, it is the ticketing carrier, e.g. BA which handles rebooking.
2. On the day of travel, it is the operating carrier, e.g. AA which handles rebooking.
Anonba likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Often1
For the purpose of the broader audience as this situation is now resolved:

1. Prior to the day of travel, it is the ticketing carrier, e.g. BA which handles rebooking.
2. On the day of travel, it is the operating carrier, e.g. AA which handles rebooking.
1. How is the situation resolved?
2. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? For clarity, I'm saying the AA guidelines apply though BA will have to process the refund - naturally since it's avios.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:57 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The rules that matter are the most generous of BA's as agent (basically vol refund for £35) or AA's as marketing airline for schedule change. As far as I can see, AA will give you the choice of a refund or rebooking in revenue bucket if the schedule change is 60 minutes or greater...
I have never heard of this before. Rebooking on partner rewards is typically only possible on to other flights with partner reward availability and not in to any revenue selling classes.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
1. How is the situation resolved?
2. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? For clarity, I'm saying the AA guidelines apply though BA will have to process the refund - naturally since it's avios.
Surely since it’s a BA ticket, BA’s rules override any of AA’s? The OP can’t ask AA to change a 125 ticket into revenue buckets. He/She has to ask BA, no?

Edit: he can ask, but, I’m 99% sure AA do not have this power. Much like a TA etc... .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.