Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starship73

it would be highly, highly unusual for an engine fire to occur at that late stage during a flight (we are talking almost unprecedented). They almost always happen during take-off/initial climb (and even then extremely rarely).
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
I agree. But the tweet is coming from the official account of one of the biggest Spanish news agencies, so I'd say they have some inside info about it. Of course the intern may be in charge during August and just decided to put something random
Just got a push notification in my phone from El Pais (biggest newspaper in Spain) saying BA plane makes emergency landing in Valencia with an engine on fire
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Twice in a week we have had Flyertalk on-scene reporting! This must be a record.

Best wishes to aikaterine ... I hope you unravel from this experience quickly.

Unpleasant for all those involved, of course, but at least ‘our’ eyewitnesses seem to report more sensibly than the Media!

29 July 19: BA112 [JFK-LHR] incident in F cabin
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Why am I never surprised and the ignorance of people, as said above o2 masks and smoke do not mix?
You have to love the fact that during, what could potentially serious emergency, some people's first thought is must video this. Madness.

Last edited by tuonopepper; Aug 5, 2019 at 2:17 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
You have to love the fact that during what could have been an emergency situation people's first thought is I must video this, madness.
people tweeting BA asking when first aid was coming

i know it sounds like there was a bit of an information vacuum on the ground but, this is Spain not some third world country- find someone/anyone to call you an ambulance if you’re feeling in need of medical assistance? No! Twitter!!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
Just got a push notification in my phone from El Pais (biggest newspaper in Spain) saying BA plane makes emergency landing in Valencia with an engine on fire
Well I'd say that they have indeed got it wrong. Looking at the photos, both the engines look fine, and not covered in any firefighting mess. It would also be remarkable for smoke from an engine to migrate into the cabin mid-flight.

Don't trust everything you read in the papers, even if they are the biggest one in Spain...
Crismyth and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
You have to love the fact that during what could have been an emergency situation people's first thought is I must video this, madness.
Glad to hear everyone evacuated and are now safe.

Filming scenes like this can be vital for the relevant authorities or persons involved in understanding and ultimately finding the outcome (positive or negative), so whilst I agree that grabbing your phone and pressing record seems odd to do or may seem a bit mad, it can prove invaluable in the end. It’s a very tricky subject and one we could probably heavily debate thus sending this thread in the wrong direction so I’ll leave it there.

I just hope this incident wasn't far from being something more life threatening and BA are trying to or will make amends for the passengers that were on board.
flygirl68, Xonus, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Apparently according to the Daily Mail, BA handled the situation very badly. As they had no announcements on board or staff dealing with anything in the airport. Also no first aid or even water.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-landing.html

Is this not a mixed fleet route?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:22 pm

I have coincidentally just this evening watched an (old) Air Crash Investigation programme where there was a fire on landing. There was a delay in evacuating while the pilot(s) decided whether it was safer to keep the passengers on the plane or let them off potentially into a fiery explosion. There was a long wait in this instance, but there was no smoke in the cabin.

After the evacuation, I think complaining about no-one giving bottles of water or airline representatives telling them about their luggage didn't cross anyone's minds.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:25 pm

Yeah I’m on the fence about filming, and I feel that I shouldn’t be on the fence. Some people are absolutely ridiculously stupid, like the Air France one in Toronto. Someone was filming, or taking pictures from a position of leaning against the fuselage! At least the ones that are from a distance away are quite informative, and hopefully are following instructions.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by icegirl
Apparently according to the Daily Mail, BA handled the situation very badly. As they had no announcements on board or staff dealing with anything in the airport. Also no first aid or even water.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-landing.html

Is this not a mixed fleet route?
No, it is not
The DM is gospel though, obviously.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
You have to love the fact that during, what could potentially serious emergency, some people's first thought is must video this. Madness.
Well, if it was dragging out for 10 minutes between landing and evacuation, I might have as well.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
What a load of rubbish from the press, there is a lot of BA initiated help going on, the trouble is some people think that it is going to come instantly at a station where we probably have only one staff member, the airport authorities would be the first to offer support.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Well, if it was dragging out for 10 minutes between landing and evacuation, I might have as well.
Exactly - with 10 minutes sitting there I'd expect to have plenty of time to perfect the exposure and camera angles...

Obviously when the evacuation call is made, put the phone away, but not sure what else there is to do until that point?
altabello likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:45 pm

Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:49 pm

Back

Thx for the concern everyone and for letting me know that I have a 5 post limit. I'm home from my medical check and all is good. My earlier post (with the only pic I took) didn't work because I can't post links.

I'm home now and all is good. I had a chance to watch the posted videos and can say that the smoke density is lower than it was in the back. My picture, if you could see it, shows about a 2 row range of vision before the rest of the cabin dissapears into the smoke.

As I mentioned above the cabin filled with smoke soon after we started to descend. It filled quickly, very quickly. It was basically pouring in from what looked like everywhere. It wasn't immediately clear that it was coming from one area. I don't know how long it took them to get the plane on the ground - maybe 10 minutes maybe a little more. That time is lost. As I explained above I am sure of timing after landing since I sent texts to partner at landing and after the slide (which is super bouncy and disturbingly fun given the situation). We were in the plane, on the ground, for 10 minutes.

I can understand why people are upset. We heard nothing from the crew for the ~10 minutes in the air and then 10 minutes on the ground. It would have been good to hear something, anything, before being told to "get off the plane, don't take your bags". I'm floored people in the video above aren't covering their mouths. People in the back doused their clothes in water and used them to breathe through. Not because crew told them to, but because myself and another man did it.

​​​During the 10 minute wait on the ground we didn't hear anything. When we got into the airport we didn't hear anything. I left as soon as I could because I don't actually need my bags quickly and wasn't getting any info. I am not really all that upset about the lack of communication, I assume there is a reason, but I understand why others would be.

I still bristle at the people who were 3 rows away from the back exit pushing towards the front, the ones who jumped onto the slide with luggage, and the people standing on the tarmac right beside the plane after jumping out. That will stay with me.
Freebird, SK, sgm and 32 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.