Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Unacceptable Experience with British Airways in WTP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unacceptable Experience with British Airways in WTP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Not a direct response to the OP, but I wonder if some perceptions of premium economy are a little off. Expectations and standards pitched higher than the commercial reality. Personally, I view it as Y with a better seat and more legroom. I don’t expect champagne in a real glass and endless warm towels etc. All IMHO of course 🙂.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by krispy84
Not a direct response to the OP, but I wonder if some perceptions of premium economy are a little off. Expectations and standards pitched higher than the commercial reality. Personally, I view it as Y with a better seat and more legroom. I don’t expect champagne in a real glass and endless warm towels etc. All IMHO of course ��.
The problem that seems to arise is whether a WTP product is seen as Economy Plus or Business Minus, this was part of the OP's decision tree, and airlines generally try to blur that line in terms of marketing, Virgin Atlantic particularly so but with a product that is stronger than most. Broadly if the mindset is "this is an economy product with the worst aspects of economy remediated" then I think one is nearer the mark, so bigger seat, more leg room, more overhead locker space, slightly better food and drink (ie Prosecco), better power options, one extra checked bag and slightly larger IFE screen. BA's specific problem - though other airlines have it too - is the big equipment variations (with about 5 gradations) within that context, but the USP above still apply.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Not a direct response to the OP, but I wonder if some perceptions of premium economy are a little off. Expectations and standards pitched higher than the commercial reality ............................
Below is just a part of what the OP (a once-loyal BA flyer, btw) actually experienced, having bought a ticket for the ‘Premium’ Economy cabin.
How much lower, would you say, do we need to set our expectations if they are to equate more closely with ‘commercial reality’ in BA-land .......

“My seat had stains all over it, the tray table didnt work, to stop my drinks or food slipping off onto the floor i literally had to either hold the table up with my hand or raise my knees up. Incredibly uncomfortable. I did manage to prop it up with my handkerchief for breakfast. When i told a cabin crew member she shrugged her shoulders and said they were all like that ..........

We were in row 5 and during dinner service by the time they got to us, the beef had gone. I'm pretty sure it had been served in economy. I ended up having chicken teriyaki noodle dishes, where the noodles were half cooked and half raw. The chicken was dry and not great. We were not offered a drink for the entire dinner service ........

During the flight there was about a 5-6 hour period where no one came and offfered anyone any water. people we getting up to go and find some. Also, when i went to find someone to ask if there was any snacks or food, i was told that quite a few others had asked them the same thing, they didn't have much catering on board and they were trying to find a solution. 20 mins later we were all offered an ice cream. I have never got off a flight so hungry and immediately went to Burger King in Shanghai airport.”

IAMORGAN and HMPS like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The problem that seems to arise is whether a WTP product is seen as Economy Plus or Business Minus, this was part of the OP's decision tree, and airlines generally try to blur that line in terms of marketing, Virgin Atlantic particularly so but with a product that is stronger than most. Broadly if the mindset is "this is an economy product with the worst aspects of economy remediated" then I think one is nearer the mark, so bigger seat, more leg room, more overhead locker space, slightly better food and drink (ie Prosecco), better power options, one extra checked bag and slightly larger IFE screen. BA's specific problem - though other airlines have it too - is the big equipment variations (with about 5 gradations) within that context, but the USP above still apply.
👍 Stated more eloquently than I could manage.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by subject2load

Below is just a part of what the OP (a once-loyal BA flyer, btw) actually experienced, having bought a ticket for the ‘Premium’ Economy cabin.
How much lower, would you say, do we need to set our expectations if they are to equate more closely with ‘commercial reality’ in BA-land .......
i have my own level of expectations formed by my own experience travelling in WTP, mainly between LHR and HKG but also (less frequently) to the west coast USA, PVG and DXB. What lighting experienced was without question, sub par.

How does lighting's experience compare with your own?
HMPS and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC gold, Virgin gold, M&M Senatorgold
given the Norwegian problems and the substitute aircraft and crews regular used on that route, I'm not sure that would be a good idea. Check out the norwegian complaints group on FB.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:50 pm

To be perfectly honest Prospero, I’ve read too many negative reports of PE to risk a cash booking it (admittedly, lighting’s was perhaps the worst I’ve seen). I might give it a go with Avios one day.

Given the price points and typical cost differential, I’ve therefore avoided PE thus far, being far more ready & willing in the past to take my chances with CW, and occasionally F class ; where I at least have the guarantee of greater comfort with a fully lie-flat bed ^
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by drakepassage
I would sooner fly economy on a decent airline over WTP on and old BA aircraft. And that’s no exaggeration - just look at the IFE on EK/EY in Y in comparison.
I never fly economy much, but just had to fly Emirates Economy A380 from Gatwick to Dubai (2-Class Config). I was upper deck front section, Economy, with side bin etc. I genuinely would say the service from an attentive crew, quality of food, a HIGH DEFINITION IFE the size of an iPad was better than my last BA CW flight from Durban to LHR.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:15 pm

“My seat had stains all over it, the tray table didnt work, to stop my drinks or food slipping off onto the floor i literally had to either hold the table up with my hand or raise my knees up. Incredibly uncomfortable. I did manage to prop it up with my handkerchief for breakfast. When i told a cabin crew member she shrugged her shoulders and said they were all like that ..........

We were in row 5 and during dinner service by the time they got to us, the beef had gone. I'm pretty sure it had been served in economy. I ended up having chicken teriyaki noodle dishes, where the noodles were half cooked and half raw. The chicken was dry and not great. We were not offered a drink for the entire dinner service ........

During the flight there was about a 5-6 hour period where no one came and offfered anyone any water. people we getting up to go and find some. Also, when i went to find someone to ask if there was any snacks or food, i was told that quite a few others had asked them the same thing, they didn't have much catering on board and they were trying to find a solution. 20 mins later we were all offered an ice cream. I have never got off a flight so hungry and immediately went to Burger King in Shanghai airport.”

The OP had a bad flight, regardless of cabin the experience was poor. My comment was about the general perception of Premium Economy as a product and was not directly related to the OP’s experience.

That said, WTP meals are different from WT meals. No drink offered? Ask for one.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:34 pm

The OP had a bad flight, regardless of cabin the experience was poor. My comment was about the general perception of Premium Economy as a product and was not directly related to the OP’s experience.

That said, WTP meals are different from WT meals. No drink offered? Ask for one.
Agreed ^

Yes, fair comment as to the matter of general perception of a Premium Economy product, WTP .... or whatever name various airlines choose to use to differentiate the cabin in their marketing spiel.

And yes, easy enough to ask for a drink if none is offered.

Perhaps not so easily resolved in-flight are some of the hard product issues ...... such as a badly-stained seat, unrepaired tray table, and outdated IFE system. But by that stage, you’ve paid yer money !
HMPS and krispy84 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:51 pm

To be perfectly honest Prospero, I’ve read too many negative reports of PE to risk a cash booking it (admittedly, lighting’s was perhaps the worst I’ve seen). I might give it a go with Avios one day.

Given the price points and typical cost differential, I’ve therefore avoided PE thus far, being far more ready & willing in the past to take my chances with CW, and occasionally F class ; where I at least have the guarantee of greater comfort with a fully lie-flat bed ^
I’m with you here. I’m not able to sleep sitting up, so Premium economy is the same as economy for me. The price difference from Y to W is wasted money on a night flight, and during the day it’s like an extra legroom plus seat. J or F is a different kettle of fish, and I genuinely feel it is worth the money. I like being on my back, phnar phnar!
HMPS likes this.

Last edited by krispy84; Jun 21, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I just flew an open jaw to shanghai and back via Beijing (returning tomorrow). At time of booking BA W was £1700, I booked W on Cathay Pacific for £960 via HK, and got a more convenient start poitnt (Gatwick). BA prices seem to indicate a lot of demand in W, but there are viable alternatives.

I’d love to report on what CX W is like, but sadly got bumped to J for the outbound. Spent a week trying not to gloat to my colleague who was forced by price and policy into a middle Y seat on China Eastern; there are worse ways to travel than BA W.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DeanB
I mostly fly WTP, on a mix of BA and AA

[...]
I'm increasingly leaning towards AA for PE flights, unless I can be *certain* I'll get a decent plane, or that it's so dirt-cheap I can write it off as a way to get some extra TPs
I recently tried AA PE for a LHR-JFK return, and was generally pleased. The seat was quite good - the side bulkhead seats on the 77W was almost as good as the business class seats on the old BD mid-haul aircraft. The other rows weren't quite as good, but comparable to, say, TK J on the mid-haul 738/A321, and far better than Y. It was definitely far superior to WT+, which, as with many others, I don't see as worth more than a very small premium over WT.
HMPS likes this.

Last edited by chalf; Jun 21, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
Couldn't agree more. I do a lot of PE travelling and so far have experienced BA, QF, CX & SQ all of them on either SIN-SYD or HKG-SYD routes. QF is by far the best (but is usually priced as the most expensive by quite a long shot) followed by BA then SQ and then the CX offering which is absolutely woeful. Economy food, plastic glasses, crap wine that doesn't get topped up, horrible seats.
I didn't mind my seat on CX as I got front row left hand side on the 777-2 which is away from the toilet and also has 1.5m of legroom in front. The food was served in what looked like an economy tray and yes, how damn stingy with the wine. Good job I worked my way through the bar in the lounge before boarding.

I've not tried Qantas and probably won't for sometime as not gonna be near Aus.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by TTmex
I didn't mind my seat on CX as I got front row left hand side on the 777-2 which is away from the toilet and also has 1.5m of legroom in front. The food was served in what looked like an economy tray and yes, how damn stingy with the wine. Good job I worked my way through the bar in the lounge before boarding.

I've not tried Qantas and probably won't for sometime as not gonna be near Aus.
qantas have a PE product available LHR-SIN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.