Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Unacceptable Experience with British Airways in WTP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unacceptable Experience with British Airways in WTP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I do find it fascinating that KLM have more destinations in England than BA, and have snaffled a very large share of the Northern/regional U.K. market.
BA flies to more destinations in the Netherlands than KLM.
aristoph, :D! and MNMAA like this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA flies to more destinations in the Netherlands than KLM.
Hahaha ok well that shut me up 😀
I could have sworn KL flew from Rotterdam and also between Amsterdam and Eindhoven and Maastricht respectively, but that is probably going back 20 years now.......
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Hahaha ok well that shut me up 😀
I could have sworn KL flew from Rotterdam and also between Amsterdam and Eindhoven and Maastricht respectively, but that is probably going back 20 years now.......
That's all stopped a few years back, and BA are about to have 3 times as many locations in NL as KLM, or so I have been told.....
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by lighting
I'd always been a very loyal BA customer, especially when i lived in London. I always felt that getting on a BA flight was as safe, comfortable and familiar as air travel could get.

I'd been having some pretty bad experiences on BA but loyalty and the Amex 241 scheme kept me flying with them. I then had one flight that was pathetic, truly pathetic and what was worse was BA's response. They literally couldn't careless and showed me exactly how much they valued me as a customer. I stopped flying with BA and haven't been on a BA flght since.

Based in Yorkshire, i needed to find a new airline that could provide us with the routes we needed, Taipei, Shanghai, Tokyo and the US. My new brand had gained distribution around the world and i'd be flying a lot more in premium cabins. I told BA this but they didn't care, why should they, most would probably say this.

We chose KLM, Leeds through Amsterdam gives us pretty much every route we need. The people and service is good, the business class cabin is good, the economy isn't brilliant but only used it once and now both my business partner and i are KLM Gold Card holders.

I now feel zero loyalty to BA, i have no interest in ever flying with BA again. End of last week i flew to Berlin with Easyjet out of Manchester and there was an article about how BA were rated in the bottom 5 for short and long haul in terms of service and product our of all airlines in the world.

One question, ... happened to British Airways and why are they now the Ryan Air of Long Haul?
I think you did exactly what you should do. You mention that you were loyal to BA for 20 years, you consider that they now provide a service that does not look for you and that they don't care about your feedback so you looked at alternatives. Being based at LBA, KL is arguably more convenient than BA anyway and you seem to have found a product which reliably matches your needs.

Needless to say that some other people will consider that BA works better for them than KL. I know both airlines very well (I'm FB Platinum for life for a reason) and there are things that I like and dislike about both.

The most interesting aspect of your post to me, however, is that your OP was about your having taken a WT+ flight (you originally wanted J but your business partner convinced you to go WT+ because you had another excellent WT+ flight on BA before) and were badly disappointed. You have now switched to an airline which does not offer Premium Economy. Maybe it is premium economy that also wasn't right for you? It certainly isn't right for me (I obviously much prefer J but if I'm not in a position to get it I'd rather book Y and save cash than W unless it is virtually the same price. W just doesn't do it for me). It seems that you have now followed your earlier instinct which was to book long haul J if possible and maybe that also explains your feeling that you are getting what you want.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Meanwhile someone in the Netherlands has probably just converted over to BA!

From the regions BA obv has a lot of competition offering a similar service. I wouldn’t be surprised if your decision has also saved you a good few pennies.

One thing I was surprised by was how bad KL’s A330 business class looked when I was looking at options BOS-LHR for a trip in the Summer.

My flying blue miles went on DL in the end, who with a direct service and better looking product didn’t really give KL a chance.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic

The most interesting aspect of your post to me, however, is that your OP was about your having taken a WT+ flight (you originally wanted J but your business partner convinced you to go WT+ because you had another excellent WT+ flight on BA before) and were badly disappointed. You have now switched to an airline which does not offer Premium Economy. Maybe it is premium economy that also wasn't right for you? It certainly isn't right for me (I obviously much prefer J but if I'm not in a position to get it I'd rather book Y and save cash than W unless it is virtually the same price. W just doesn't do it for me). It seems that you have now followed your earlier instinct which was to book long haul J if possible and maybe that also explains your feeling that you are getting what you want.
Had a very good service on a BA A380 from London to Heathrow in Premium Economy. Excellent value for money.

We now have the travel budgets for bothof us to fly Business Class on all long haul flights, which is why KLM now makes sense for us.

All of our KLM flights could have been BA, but due to the deteriorating service and an unnaceptable flight and response from BA, every single one has been on KLM.

Big companies can and do fail, if they treat a lot of customers like this, perhaps they might decide to care what people think. Ryanair once thought they could behave how they liked and offer no service, they soon learnt.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:16 am
Suspended

....Big companies can and do fail, if they treat a lot of customers like this....
IAG is highly unlikely to be one of them.
navylad and let_BAegones_be like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:17 am

Had a very good service on a BA A380 from London to Heathrow in Premium Economy.
From where in London? I might take this flight next time instead of Piccadilly line

an unnaceptable flight
What is that?
deboyzoned and TravelManBiz like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by flyslow
From where in London? I might take this flight next time instead of Piccadilly line
Hadn't you heard? LCY - LHR, 4x/wk.

:-)
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Hadn't you heard? LCY - LHR, 4x/wk.

:-)
Literally can't stop laughing
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krispy84

Not a direct response to the OP, but I wonder if some perceptions of premium economy are a little off. Expectations and standards pitched higher than the commercial reality. Personally, I view it as Y with a better seat and more legroom. I don’t expect champagne in a real glass and endless warm towels etc. All IMHO of course 🙂.
I compared a BA premium economy flight with another premium economy flight. Even if I hand't, my experience was below Economy expectations.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Folks, the thread subject is the quality or otherwise of BA’s WTP cabin. A number of off-topic posts regarding CW seat selection have therefore been removed. Let’s stick to the subject matter, please.

/mod
For some reason, the same off-topic CW seat selection incident has been reposted to this thread months later, so has, again, been removed.

/mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.