Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Unacceptable Experience with British Airways in WTP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unacceptable Experience with British Airways in WTP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
I mostly fly WTP, on a mix of BA and AA

On BA, the 787s are fantastic in WTP, and in A380 & refurbed 777-300s they are pretty good.

But I've had a few 747s and 777-200s recently that were atrocious, topped off with a 747 from LAS-LHR last week which had broken heating - 10.5hrs with two blankets, shirt & jacket zipped to the neck & constant icebox-cold air onto my head wasn't a great experience.

I'm increasingly leaning towards AA for PE flights, unless I can be *certain* I'll get a decent plane, or that it's so dirt-cheap I can write it off as a way to get some extra TPs
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DeanB

But I've had a few 747s and 777-200s recently that were atrocious, topped off with a 747 from LAS-LHR last week which had broken heating - 10.5hrs with two blankets, shirt & jacket zipped to the neck & constant icebox-cold air onto my head wasn't a great experience.

I'm increasingly leaning towards AA for PE flights, unless I can be *certain* I'll get a decent plane, or that it's so dirt-cheap I can write it off as a way to get some extra TPs
No heating is unacceptable...you should be compensated for that if the temperature fell below H&S standards. Shopping around is good advice however ''writing it off'' because you're happy with the extra tier points isn't. I suspect that's the reason why BA aren't in any rush to fix many of the problems highlighted on this forum. If their aircraft are all flying profitably why should they bother fixing things?
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by lighting
I used a 241 voucher, 78,000 Avios and roughly £1k in taxes to book the flights from Leeds, through Heathrow to Shanghai.
This is the most depressing thing about your post. 78k avios is worth at least £640 so using your 241 voucher, you got 2 seats in substandard Premium Economy for £820 per person, with no avios or TP earning. That voucher basically just brings the cost down to a not terrible level.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
I don't know, but I assume that WTP must be a real cash cow for BA.
I always remember that BA manager showing press around the A380 in a UK documentary a few years ago saying "This is World Traveller Plus..the cabin that's going to make a lot of money for BA"...
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Greenpen
I have never understood PE. It seems a lot more money for very little. Best fly J and get a clearly better experience.
The price difference depends on the route and airline, Premium economy is , imo, a great product for daytime flights ( I do my best to avoid night flights ) and often significantly cheaper than business class
oldone, HMPS and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
The old cabins are definitely in need of a refresh. Genuinely like the 787 wtp cabin. Never had an issue. As for choosing AA and CX, well I'd say their PE is sub par in many cases. AA offered good enough food, but on CX the food is basically no different to economy. Service is not dedicated wtp in either and the seats don't recline much on AA. Still much prefer wtp to WT.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IntVic
I understand and agree where the OP is coming from/going with this.
While one terrible BA flight experience is not necessarily indicative of the same type of service on all flights, sometimes, it is just one flight experience which garners or loses future customers e.g. I have only flown one 2 hour leg on Hainan airlines on internal flight in China in economy and I was so impressed with the flight and service, that I would definitely fly them again.
Also that it would seem BA operate these old cabins in PE to Shanghai pretty much every flight, as this is now going to become a regualr route for the company, i won't accept that cabin and will choose alternatives.

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Sorry to hear about the very substandard experience in BA PE. I have flown them a few times in PE and never had a similar experience.

Just as an FYI, if you want to preserve your OW status, you might want to check into options using AY (Finnair) to PVG..
Thanks, will have a look into it. Used AY business class once to Hong Kong a new of years ago.

Originally Posted by Greenpen
I have never understood PE. It seems a lot more money for very little. Best fly J and get a clearly better experience.
PE on the A380 was light years ahead of Economy without the need for Business Class in my opinion.

Originally Posted by warakorn
Why are using miles and instruments for a business trip?
Because i own the company and due to having two small children, don't fly long haul for leisure at the moment.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 21, 2019 at 1:01 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TTmex
As for choosing AA and CX, well I'd say their PE is sub par in many cases. AA offered good enough food, but on CX the food is basically no different to economy.
Couldn't agree more. I do a lot of PE travelling and so far have experienced BA, QF, CX & SQ all of them on either SIN-SYD or HKG-SYD routes. QF is by far the best (but is usually priced as the most expensive by quite a long shot) followed by BA then SQ and then the CX offering which is absolutely woeful. Economy food, plastic glasses, crap wine that doesn't get topped up, horrible seats.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by lighting

That said, i have just experienced, by far my worst ever flight on British Airways, an experience i deem unacceptable and that British Airways should be thoroughly embarrassed by, the problem is, they are not.

During the flight there was about a 5-6 hour period where no one came and offfered anyone any water. people we getting up to go and find some. Also, when i went to find someone to ask if there was any snacks or food, i was told that quite a few others had asked them the same thing, they didn't have much catering on board and they were trying to find a solution. 20 mins later we were all offered an ice cream. I have never got off a flight so hungry and immediately went to Burger King in Shanghai airport.

I complained to BA and i recieved a standard email template telling me how many 747's they have refurbished and have 48 new long hail airfract and here's 8000 Avios, which they also said was for the lack of catering.

BA know that when i booked my seat, i would be getting an out dated and old cabin, they knew that, the cabin crew knew that people would be angry about it and complain, yet they still charge full wack for it regardless. How long have they had to refurbish these cabin? They have chosen not to and they have chosen to provide a product that they know their customers will deem sub standard. Is this what the BA brand now represents? Knowingly accepting, not even second best and simply not caring?

Had i know (and perhaps i should have used this forum), we'd get that pathetic cabin, i'd have booked us into the club world cabin. If that had not been possible, i would have chosen a different airline or flown economy. I feel that i have been completely conned by BA and that their response has shown me exactly what contempt and disdain they have for me as a customer.

From your detailed report that makes for a highly depressing read, these paragraphs were the standout issues for me.

But taking your inflight experience as a whole, I just can’t see any redeeming features at all ; and as such it’s no surprise that the lamentable, stereotype, response to your complaint did nothing to restore your confidence in using BA for upcoming longhaul business trips.

Personally I have never had a flight with quite so many negative aspects as your own on any airline (not even BA). But if I ever did, I doubt I would ever wish to willingly give more money to the carrier concerned. On that basis, I can only second the advice, from several other posters here, which aligns with your own decision to seek out alternative options for your future travel needs.

lighting likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by IntVic
I'd be upset too, particularly when you planned to fly the A380.
To avoid the lottery of sitting in old WTP seats, I have ensured that my next 3 BA flights to the USA are operated by AA and IB. It's a shame one has to do this to ensure a certain seat quality in OW operators.
Originally Posted by richardwft

Yes, very annoying. LHR-MIA is a great route for A380.
This has spurred me on to do something and, looking at the booking, I now remember I booked via BA holidays. So going to change the flight to Norwegian both ways and forfeit the deposit. I am going to write to BA to tell them this and explain why. 20 year old seat on a 747 vs 20 year old Business (or arguably even first class) equivalent on a 787 is a no-brainer.
lighting likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Well, I just booked a BA holidays to KIN from LGW on a 777 - I am guessing a 777-200 so it will be an interesting comparison point for me to this review!
lighting likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA, EK, Hilton H, Starwood, A-Club
When I mentioned sub-par service in CW the underlying tone I got was "its BA what do you expect". Seems like they (BA) like to promote all their new shiny stuff on the A350, making customers think all aircraft are the same, whereas there is a lottery on whether you get a un-refurbished product which is stuck in the nineties or something that nearly matches the likes of Singapore or Emirates, but doesn't quite make it due to indifferent CC or some cock-up along the way. Im quite happy with BA short-haul, but longer distance BA is way down my list of carriers.
HMPS and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:14 pm
Suspended

WTP in general offers a very questionable value proposition, and when flying BA a poor to absolutely abysmal one.

I would sooner fly economy on a decent airline over WTP on and old BA aircraft. And that’s no exaggeration - just look at the IFE on EK/EY in Y in comparison.

The only time I’d pay for BA W is for a marginal difference on a shorter day flight almost guaranteed to get a new aircraft like YYC using Avios so I can cancel it in the event of aircraft change.

Whilst I was hopeful the offering was going in the right direction in hard product it appears the soft product is going down the pan.

Vote with your feet - don’t fly W!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by drakepassage
I would sooner fly economy on a decent airline over WTP on and old BA aircraft. And that’s no exaggeration - just look at the IFE on EK/EY in Y in comparison....
Have you seen the new BA IFE economy on old BA aircraft, looks pretty good.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
This has spurred me on to do something and, looking at the booking, I now remember I booked via BA holidays. So going to change the flight to Norwegian both ways and forfeit the deposit. I am going to write to BA to tell them this and explain why. 20 year old seat on a 747 vs 20 year old Business (or arguably even first class) equivalent on a 787 is a no-brainer.
Have you not rather cut off your nose to spite your face?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.