Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Deltus
If I travel HBO and allow plenty of time for security on Friday, am I likely to be ok?
Well even if you're HBO your flight wont leave the tarmac until the incoming passengers have had their bags taken off. The knee bone is connected to the thigh bone etc...
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:49 am

Location: Dorset, United Kingdom. Frequently at higher altitudes.
Programs: BAEC Gold and a few others
If I travel HBO and allow plenty of time for security on Friday, am I likely to be ok?
We're flying Friday morning at 7am, which hopefully means our aircraft has slept at LHR, and T5 will still be functioning without too much backlog of passengers.. Will report back from the Flounge at around 05:30 with any luck..!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Are baggage handlers not employed by the handling agents, such as Swissport, Dnata, Menzies etc. and the airlines such as BA rather than employed by HAL?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndMrsJones
We're flying Friday morning at 7am, which hopefully means our aircraft has slept at LHR, and T5 will still be functioning without too much backlog of passengers.. Will report back from the Flounge at around 05:30 with any luck..!
My case is very similar - a 0725 departure, so hopefully the plane will already be there ready to go, the airport toilets will still be clean, and I'll be through security before any potential chaos! No Flounge for me though - I'll be reporting from GC
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
an industrial dispute will not be resolved by the employer going to court in this manner and it is hardly likely to improve the atmosphere in which negotiations take place
Originally Posted by hungry
I am very aware of that. So say the company get an injunction because for example a few pilots have retired but are still TU members and got sent ballot papers. So what does that achieve? The TU tightens up its membership database, makes sure it is watertight, then re-ballots and the new ballot is solid... strike goes ahead just a few weeks later then originally planned!
Industrial disputes are neither as easy nor as clear-cut as this. An industrial dispute, like most legal disputes, is not a sporting event in which there is simply a winner and a loser. It suits the media often to portray them like this, but litigation lawyers know that the reality is almost always much more complex. Every company that decides to take legal action to try to enforce its rights (or the trade union's obligations) will have its own reasons for doing so. If it were always the case that doing so inevitably makes the dispute harder and more expensive to resolve, I doubt that so many companies would have a go at this - sometimes successfully.
Again that why the company should be trying to resolve the issue not messing about with injunctions.

The way BA have been operating in recent years including all the cuts, they are in my opinion completely mad if they think the majority of the publics support will be with the company/management rather than the staff.
However, public support for one team or the other has no bearing on whether the trade union has acted lawfully. That will be the question for the court.

Those who've read my previous posts on the current industrial action probably have little doubt where my sympathies lie. However, that's got nothing to do with whether BA is entitled to use the legal tools at its disposal to try to secure some advantage in the dispute. And we should not forget that those legal tools are in place in part to protect us, the customers.
wrp96 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:42 am

So who does HAL actually employ, that would affect the smooth operation of flights? Security screening staff and baggage handlers, anyone else? If I travel HBO and allow plenty of time for security on Friday, am I likely to be ok?
The on-site fire station.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by flygirl68

No-one else needs to strike if the fire service down tools.
flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You could probably argue for the Eligible Flights in that scenario, I think you would be successful though I'm not aware of a formal policy in this area. However this is all hypothetical at this stage, other than that BA are not on the hook for the QR sectors whatever happens.
Thanks for this, that's all good (and yes, obviously hypothetical right now). I'm assuming it's unlikely that I'd turn up at LHR without being at least warned a changed flight might be likely, so hopefully it's just a case of crossing that bridge if/when etc etc.

I've left 36 hours between LHR-ARN and the QR flight because I know they're not on the hook for that, plus (hopefully) a day in Stockholm - FT has taught me well
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold

Ah, that would indeed be a blocker. Presumably that's an all-or-nothing thing though - if HAL says the airport will still be operating, they must have some contingency in place for that...?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Are the Duty free sales team not HAL staff too? As I think the stores are all franchises, using the high street names.
[Please correct if I have that wrong]
Staff in shops aren't employed by HAL but by the individual retailers who operate them like any other shop they occupy (with additional security screening of staff and goods). A friend of mine used to work for a high end retailer and managed the store at LHR for a few weeks to cover the managers absence.

Some shops may be operated by a franchise bases but that's not the same as HAL operating them. I think HAL just wants to take the rent and share of sales and not have to bother about staff rotas and recruitment.

Franchises are usually run by someone who buys the franchise and the name, stock and support of the main company. Think many branches of starbucks, subway and mcdonalds on the high street for example.
SWISSBOBBY likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:26 am

Ah, that would indeed be a blocker. Presumably that's an all-or-nothing thing though - if HAL says the airport will still be operating, they must have some contingency in place for that...?
Yes they WILL need solid contingency plans for that. Just a case of wait and see really. I don’t think they can rely on the two local London Fire Brigade stations. They do cover the airport but in addition to the HAL fire station, not instead of.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass

Yes they WILL need solid contingency plans for that. Just a case of wait and see really. I don’t think they can rely on the two local London Fire Brigade stations. They do cover the airport but in addition to the HAL fire station, not instead of.
I thought that airports couldn’t operate in the UK without an on-site fire service.

We’ve had incidents at EMA which have required the fire service to deal with something and if they can’t cover the runways, the airport shuts temporarily.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze

The thing is that HAL are bound to say that they have contingency plans. Because the alternative is completely unpalatable.

It doesn't follow that they really do have such plans, I suspect.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: BA GGL
The way BA have been operating in recent years including all the cuts, they are in my opinion completely mad if they think the majority of the publics support will be with the company/management rather than the staff.
I wouldn't be so sure: "Mr Stone, 35, from Liverpool, saved for three years to take his wife and two young daughters to Disney World. Their BA flight was cancelled due to staff strikes, arriving three days late into the USA, and missing out on £insert-amount-here of their holiday."

There will be loads of content like this in The Sun, etc, etc, where those 'normal' people who don't - and rankly shouldn't really need to - think about flight operations will all-out campaign against the airline, its staff, 'well-paid' pilots, etc, blaming them for striking specifically over the holiday periods.

It makes an easy story for the majority of non-travellers to be appalled at such strikes. I don't think the media, by and large, will be on the strikers' side, whether that's right or wrong. BA bashing will commence en masse soon enough...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

I thought that airports couldn’t operate in the UK without an on-site fire service.

We’ve had incidents at EMA which have required the fire service to deal with something and if they can’t cover the runways, the airport shuts temporarily.
You are correct, but we don’t know what those mysterious ‘contingency plans’ are. When the London Fire Brigade have been on strike, the army have been brought in to cover the stations.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.