Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
That’s correct. The BA 1/2 flight deck crew are LHR based and the cabin crew LGW based.
thanks for this I wasn’t quite sure how it divided up!
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I'm trying to be a bit pro-active on this one so yes, the flight is BA 2 on 9 Oct. As I will likely travelling if and when they announce strikes for the 9th/10th (that should be on the 25th/26th of Sep if I'm calculating correctly?), I'm trying to get my ducks in a row so I have a quick reference sheet so to speak. Really don't like sitting in some airport trying to re-book things even when they are some days away if there's a sense of urgency because I know the world is also trying to rebook. Everyone's help and input is greatly appreciated!
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by kileysmom
I'm trying to be a bit pro-active on this one so yes, the flight is BA 2 on 9 Oct. As I will likely travelling if and when they announce strikes for the 9th/10th (that should be on the 25th/26th of Sep if I'm calculating correctly?), I'm trying to get my ducks in a row so I have a quick reference sheet so to speak. Really don't like sitting in some airport trying to re-book things even when they are some days away if there's a sense of urgency because I know the world is also trying to rebook. Everyone's help and input is greatly appreciated!
I'm pretty well in the same boat although revenue flights as opposed to award. TATL on the 9th and a CE flight on the 10th. Not so much worried about the flights as my first few days at destination as I need to start booking hotels and train tickets but am reluctant to pre pay until I know if i'm going to be flying on the exact dates. Fortunately i'm flexible to go earlier however I'm refusing to be rerouted through the US
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I'm pretty well in the same boat although revenue flights as opposed to award. TATL on the 9th and a CE flight on the 10th. Not so much worried about the flights as my first few days at destination as I need to start booking hotels and train tickets but am reluctant to pre pay until I know if i'm going to be flying on the exact dates. Fortunately i'm flexible to go earlier however I'm refusing to be rerouted through the US
If further strike days are announced (and for clarity, no further strike days are announced yet), BA should and will update the Customer Guidelines for rebooking well before the affected travel date. You may visit the Helpdesk (Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep) for further info and links to the current Customer Guidelines for 27 Sep.

Taking into account of the vast non-BA options now available should your travel date is on the new strike day, you should see Limited to no difficulty in rebooking to other airlines and still travel on the intended day of departure.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by marcolau317
If further strike days are announced (and for clarity, no further strike days are announced yet), BA should and will update the Customer Guidelines for rebooking well before the affected travel date. You may visit the Helpdesk (Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep) for further info and links to the current Customer Guidelines for 27 Sep.

Taking into account of the vast non-BA options now available should your travel date is on the new strike day, you should see Limited to no difficulty in rebooking to other airlines and still travel on the intended day of departure.
If these strikes continue for months I can see this becoming troublesome. The routes I fly on tend to be completely full both on BA and their competitors so I wonder where this capacity is going to be coming from.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:56 pm

I'm like you, Crarmped in 13A, and have the double trouble of being on a ticket booked with AS miles. AS tell me BA won't speak to me if a strike is called on that day and that they (AS) are getting nowhere trying to rebook mileage tickets with BA onto anything but BA flights for other days. I don't know if that is some of the, as above, shenanigans being pulled by BA to avoid moving pax to other carriers or if it is a legitimate position on the part of BA but have little power in front of the trouble so to speak to do much about it. IF and when the 9th is a strike day I guess I can start trying to do something besides wait for AS to get the OK from BA to put me on another flight that may or may not work but it isn't me to let things sit in other people's hands. I have a serious need to be in London no later than the evening of the 11th. To make is worse (though not so seriously a problem) I'm on a second one way AS miles ticket out of Heathrow for Seattle on the 14th....if BA end up putting me in a hotel for a day or two in a London hotel (are they obligated as it's an AS mileage ticket - AS say they don't know), I'm fine with that!
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:31 pm

October dates

I keep seeing people mentioning the 9th and 10th of October as potential strike dates. Is there some reason to believe that these dates in particular will be targeted?

I am flying from the US to London and then to Inverness on October 4th and returning October 14th and I an definitely feeling the stress of the potential for any disruption to my trip.

Does any one here have any insight as to the next logical strike dates Balpa could potentially call? Is it likely they would wait until after the strike on the 27th to call any additional strike dates?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:34 pm

They are only "targeted" due to talk of mid week dates being the idea on the part of BALPA. Absolutely nothing has been confirmed except that my flight is on a Wed. night JFK to LCY (the 9th).
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Lucien Breault
I keep seeing people mentioning the 9th and 10th of October as potential strike dates. Is there some reason to believe that these dates in particular will be targeted?

I am flying from the US to London and then to Inverness on October 4th and returning October 14th and I an definitely feeling the stress of the potential for any disruption to my trip.

Does any one here have any insight as to the next logical strike dates Balpa could potentially call? Is it likely they would wait until after the strike on the 27th to call any additional strike dates?
I think so. I'm not worried about my actual flights but stuff like hotels etc. but it does seem like BA is prepared to string this thing out no matter how much money they lose or how many of their passengers are inconvenienced. In the meantime not much any of us can do but wait for the announcements of future strike dates.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:44 pm

I'm like you, Crarmped in 13A, and have the double trouble of being on a ticket booked with AS miles. AS tell me BA won't speak to me if a strike is called on that day and that they (AS) are getting nowhere trying to rebook mileage tickets with BA onto anything but BA flights for other days. I don't know if that is some of the, as above, shenanigans being pulled by BA to avoid moving pax to other carriers or if it is a legitimate position on the part of BA but have little power in front of the trouble so to speak to do much about it. IF and when the 9th is a strike day I guess I can start trying to do something besides wait for AS to get the OK from BA to put me on another flight that may or may not work but it isn't me to let things sit in other people's hands. I have a serious need to be in London no later than the evening of the 11th. To make is worse (though not so seriously a problem) I'm on a second one way AS miles ticket out of Heathrow for Seattle on the 14th....if BA end up putting me in a hotel for a day or two in a London hotel (are they obligated as it's an AS mileage ticket - AS say they don't know), I'm fine with that!
You may use your Booking Reference to log on BA Manage My Booking section to add in your contact information. When flights are indeed cancelled you will be able to get contacted by BA as soon as possible. In the meantime, monitor the situation here and on BA website.

AS is doing the right thing not to rebook you to other non-BA flights, as up until this moment, no strike is planned for the day you travel, so standard rules are still in place and BA expect the flight should be running.

If your BA flight does get cancelled, BA does have Duty of Care, and reasonable hotel expenses could be claimed between the scheduled day of departure and the day you board the re-arranged flight. Details can visit the EC261 thread. The carrier is responsible for this provision, not the ticket issuer.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:12 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear. AS are not refusing me anything right now as I have not asked for anything other than what information they have now that they've gone through a couple of days of strikes. They told me BA will not speak to me IF a strike is called for my flight date and that BA has forbidden AS from putting anyone on anything other than another BA flight whenever.....that might be. AS seem to think BA has no duty of care which I think is wrong...I think they do even if it is an award flight booked with AS miles. That's sort of the dilemma I'm in...to some extent it's trying to find out who is able to do what and what they are able to do IF a strike is called as my ability to try to sort things that day may be limited.

Last edited by kileysmom; Sep 12, 2019 at 10:13 pm Reason: correction
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
deleted

Last edited by Blueboys999; Sep 12, 2019 at 11:17 pm Reason: moved to another thread
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Sorry, I wasn't clear. AS are not refusing me anything right now as I have not asked for anything other than what information they have now that they've gone through a couple of days of strikes. They told me BA will not speak to me IF a strike is called for my flight date and that BA has forbidden AS from putting anyone on anything other than another BA flight whenever.....that might be. AS seem to think BA has no duty of care which I think is wrong...I think they do even if it is an award flight booked with AS miles. That's sort of the dilemma I'm in...to some extent it's trying to find out who is able to do what and what they are able to do IF a strike is called as my ability to try to sort things that day may be limited.
You should have a read of the help desk thread as suggested by others.

If strikes are called for your date you will have at least two weeks notice. AS will rebook according to the BA rebooking guidelines, and in your case I suspect the obvious option will be AA to LHR instead. BA will be liable for any duty of care issues.
marcolau317 likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Sep 12, 2019 at 11:35 pm
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
You should have a read of the help desk thread as suggested by others.

If strikes are called for your date you will have at least two days WEEKS notice. AS will rebook according to the BA rebooking guidelines, and in your case I suspect the obvious option will be AA to LHR instead. BA will be liable for any duty of care issues.
That should be 2 weeks (14 days), rather than 2 days.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by marcolau317
That should be 2 weeks (14 days), rather than 2 days.
The Sun running a story that Balpa plan an all out 10 day strike in November. Usual Sun hyperbole it will be a catastrophe (though it won’t - BA would still have. Most of its profits left) but for the October fretting maybe there’s a respite until November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.