Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

*CANCELLED* BA100 : Heritage-liveried B747s on MAN/NCL/GLA rotations 25 Aug

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: peter h
Dear

We're looking forward to welcoming you on board your flight with us from London Heathrow to Glasgow on 25 August.

We wanted to let you know that we'll be making a change to the aircraft operating your flight. Your flight will no longer be operated by a Boeing 747.

We understand that, after speculation on aviation websites, some of our customers booked on BA1482 hoping to be part of our birthday celebration. We’ll happily offer a full refund to anyone who no longer wishes to travel.

You'll be able to view the timing changes to your flight at ba.com/mmb in the next 24 hours.

If you would like to make a change to your booking, please contact us.

If you booked through a travel agent, please contact them to make any changes.
On Sunday 25 Aug - the day of BAs 100th birthday - BA are operating these domestic rotations with 747s, reportedly the three heritage-liveried aircraft :

NCL (seatmap shows a Mid-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1326 LHR-NCL 0920-1035 (stop 2:05, MCT 0:30): aero404, george77300, jfallesen, Msm2000uk, peter h, Telecasterman,
BA1327 NCL-LHR 1240-1400: aero404, Bazza1603 x 3, Brighterside, Chris9642, corporate-wage-slave, Fontana, george77300, jfallesen, Msm2000uk, peter h, S_W_S, squawk, Telecasterman, WickedStepMother, VG31.

MAN (seatmap shows a Mid-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1386 LHR-MAN 1010-1120 (stop 1:30, MCT 0:30): 81romeo
BA1391 MAN-LHR 1250-1400: 81romeo

GLA (seatmap shows a SuperHi-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1482 LHR-GLA 1200-1330 (stop 1:30, MCT 0:30): bisonrav, IFE Wizard, McG, shl +1, Schwann, hodders
BA1487 GLA-LHR 1500-1625: bisonrav, IFE Wizard, shl +1, Schwann
Print Wikipost

*CANCELLED* BA100 : Heritage-liveried B747s on MAN/NCL/GLA rotations 25 Aug

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
So I just called the GGL line and the only service with J availability was the MAN one - got a back to back in J using double avios (on the way out apparently it was the last J seat). Two points:

1. Apparently the upper deck will be used as a lounging area (?)
2. GGL assigned me 17A on both legs however when I access the booking in MMB all I can see is the F map (all seat taken/booked) as "main deck" and the upper deck seat map as "upper deck" with all seats taken/blocked too. How weird is this?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Just an extra thought - should we enter these flights into ba97.com?
I am in a similar position re NCL-LHR - I get fully blocked PE cabin and no choice of WT - no chance of a window seat now I suspect. Should I ring BAEC and see if they can allocate a seat (even a middle one next to the window seat). Missed the boat on seating but booked tickets yesterday as soon as released.
All the Y window seats on NCL-LHR show as occupied on ExpertFlyer - quite a few B/J seats left though.

Originally Posted by 81romeo
So I just called the GGL line and the only service with J availability was the MAN one - got a back to back in J using double avios (on the way out apparently it was the last J seat). Two points:

2. GGL assigned me 17A on both legs however when I access the booking in MMB all I can see is the F map (all seat taken/booked) as "main deck" and the upper deck seat map as "upper deck" with all seats taken/blocked too. How weird is this?
This is similar to passengers (like me and others) in Y. All I can see in MMB is the WT+ cabin (and not my own allocated seat) which is all blocked.

LHR-MAN is showing J1 on ExpertFlyer and MAN-LHR as J3
Brighterside and george77300 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 81romeo

1. Apparently the upper deck will be used as a lounging area (?)
There is lots of strange things going on with these flights. Just did a dummy booking on the NCL flights and can select a couple upper deck seats, a couple in F, but the main deck is not fully showing.

Both the Call centre and website won't let me book an upgrade on one flight, but can upgrade both NCL flights for Ł150 despite showing no availability to the BA call centre staff.

Now after Booking in Y (Got window seat, exit row, on booking), I can't see any seats except a fully blocked PE cabin.

All just a bit odd all around. Hoping things start to make more sense as BA formally announce this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by peter h
All the Y window seats on NCL-LHR show as occupied on ExpertFlyer - quite a few B/J seats left though.

This is similar to passengers (like me and others) in Y. All I can see in MMB is the WT+ cabin (and not my own allocated seat) which is all blocked.

LHR-MAN is showing J1 on ExpertFlyer and MAN-LHR as J3
Could this perhaps mean they are planning to accommodate Golds/GGL booked in Y in WT and Golds/GGL booked in CE in F or upper deck? The agent clearly said he can't select any upper deck seat nor F seat....
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Just an extra thought - should we enter these flights into ba97.com?
I am in a similar position re NCL-LHR - I get fully blocked PE cabin and no choice of WT - no chance of a window seat now I suspect. Should I ring BAEC and see if they can allocate a seat (even a middle one next to the window seat). Missed the boat on seating but booked tickets yesterday as soon as released.
It's all very odd. Availability is different both on MMB, BA Website and over Phone. Different answers from everyone. Some very strange seating quirks. Maybe when BA formally announce some more will open. They seem to have blocked a huge number of seats (maybe press/VIP?) Some said F and upper deck blocked, yet a dummy booking allows these to be selected?

Strange overall.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by george77300
It's all very odd. Availability is different both on MMB, BA Website and over Phone. Different answers from everyone. Some very strange seating quirks. Maybe when BA formally announce some more will open. They seem to have blocked a huge number of seats (maybe press/VIP?) Some said F and upper deck blocked, yet a dummy booking allows these to be selected?

Strange overall.
Right - on the way out to MAN there are two people physically already sitting in F (Alex?) - however it's not possible to select a seat in there, GGL line is helpless too.
On the way back there are already 12 people sitting in F - only seats left are 5EF - again GGL line quite helpless.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Unhappy

Originally Posted by BAeuro
Is there any tricks to lowering the price? They seem to have shot up now.
Cheapest seat LHR to Glasgow available

12:00 LHR
13:30 GLA

3 left from Ł191
One way Economy

What the????

Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Despite the cynicism in some quarters about whether this is worth doing, it's really caught the imagination of a lot of frequent fliers in the avgeek category, so the demand has been extremely strong and it's not all that surprising that the prices have gone up. I was trying to book yesterday, and it was really hard to catch availability at low price. This is very much a "you snooze you lose" scenario. At the point I first looked, I'm pretty sure J one way availability was just over Ł100, that vanished like leprechauns' gold in about 5 minutes. You can gamble on prices possibly going down a little, otherwise it's an expensive day out now.

It's likely a lot of the seats are reserved for press, proper VIPs, and people who have made a strong contribution to BA in the past few decades. It's right and proper that such people get special treatment, and I'm certainly not going to complain if I don't get my perfect seat. I'm just pleased to be onboard, and doubly pleased to have nabbed a J redemption for the way back.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by bisonrav
It's likely a lot of the seats are reserved for press, proper VIPs, and people who have made a strong contribution to BA in the past few decades. It's right and proper that such people get special treatment, and I'm certainly not going to complain if I don't get my perfect seat. I'm just pleased to be onboard, and doubly pleased to have nabbed a J redemption for the way back.
I guess that BA will want to maximise the PR aspect of the day, so as well as the people you've mentioned there are the social media 'influencers' (and how I hate that term). There'll be a few YouTubers publishing trip reports, I'd wager (as happened with the retirement of the last 767)
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to add to that, there must have been a huge spike on BA's revenue calculations for that flight, however I really doubt that flight is actually that full, I think they just limited sales at this point. Unless you can deploy a Gold Priority Reward on the service then I would wait a bit, the cheapest GLA service that day is Ł37 and once the publicity has moved on, I would expect fares to drift down. If they open up the available seats some more then it may be a bigger fall in fares. NCL is on H selling class, that may be the first to go down a bit. With revenue management predictions, there can be no guarantees, it's generally smarter than me.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Unhappy

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Despite the cynicism in some quarters about whether this is worth doing, it's really caught the imagination of a lot of frequent fliers in the avgeek category, so the demand has been extremely strong and it's not all that surprising that the prices have gone up. I was trying to book yesterday, and it was really hard to catch availability at low price. This is very much a "you snooze you lose" scenario. At the point I first looked, I'm pretty sure J one way availability was just over Ł100, that vanished like leprechauns' gold in about 5 minutes. You can gamble on prices possibly going down a little, otherwise it's an expensive day out now.

Well it's all the younger crowds who want to "fly the old" getting on the bandwagon, leaving us the old timers who flew on Tridents, Comets and Viscounts, grounded and without seats... unless we agree to paying inflated prices.... Just so they can say they have done it.

Do they realize these are just normal repainted planes in the old style liveries, not the old original BOAC B747-100s we used to fly on? I guess there is also the "I was there" factor about the BA 100th Anniversary although they never boarded the old planes.

Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Minor detail that I'm making an educated guess at; the IFE will likely be turned off, or at least used for safety video/moving map only, as AFAIK BA don't have the rights to the IFE content on domestics.
When I flew LGW-EDI on a 777, the IFE was on...
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by CDG1
Well it's all the younger crowds who want to "fly the old" getting on the bandwagon, leaving us the old timers who flew on Tridents, Comets and Viscounts, grounded and without seats... unless we agree to paying inflated prices.... Just so they can say they have done it.

Do they realize these are just normal repainted planes in the old style liveries, not the old original BOAC B747-100s we used to fly on? I guess there is also the "I was there" factor about the BA 100th Anniversary although they never boarded the old planes.

I am confused as to your reasoning for wanting to fly these flights, if not to say ’you did it’? Are you suggesting that nobody should book these until those over 80 have done so at the cheaper rates so those younger people have to pay more?

cosmo74 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by CDG1

....and such is the way of life, survival of the fittest etc. Blame Darwin.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Managed to get a reward seat on the LHR-GLA flight, and managed to get a seat booked before seat selections seemed to dry up. Am currently in 51B but as a lowly silver am not overly optimistic of managing to grab a POUG or of being able to move to WT+.

Couldn't get a seat on the return so am on one of the later flights and will make the most of the chance to enjoy the snug!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.