Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Find me a good British Airways fare - ticket clinic [Beta / draft: BA FARES ONLY]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to the Find me a good BA fare ticket clinic.
This is essentially for BA / BA codeshares and partner only. If your booking is essentially on Qatar, Qantas, AA or anyone else, please go to those forums and pursue the matter there. These forums have good subject matter experts to hand.
- Please avoid very vague questions. Specific questions get specific answers. Give exact dates, start point, end point, what flexibility you have.
- As a courtesy to the other forum members, please at least read some of the advice in the posts above, and find one fare as a start point. It's a lot easier to provide constructive feedback that way.
Print Wikipost

Find me a good British Airways fare - ticket clinic [Beta / draft: BA FARES ONLY]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by djbenedict
I’m not sure if this really qualifies within the “rules” of this thread, but I hope it can be indulged as using the same problem-solving creativity.

I need to to travel to Budapest in early September. I notice it’s not quite a SH+ destination, so my thought was to optimise TPs by flying somewhere a little further from LON, then making a quick hop back to BUD (and reverse this for the return). The latter sectors can be on any airline, OW would be a bonus but not essential, low cost would be fine even (will be travelling HBO).

I can include a Saturday in the schedule if need be; I need to be in BUD by Sunday evening; return on Wednesday ideally.

I drew a bit bit of a blank finding routings that worked and didn’t have terrible connection times. Any brilliant ideas out there?
The best that I can get for this would be (assuming that I have your dates correct):

Ticket 1: £372, 120TPs
8/9/19 BA 794 LHR-HEL dep 08:25 arr 13:20
11/9/19 BA 869 BUD-LHR dep 19:10 arr 20:50

Ticket 2: £40, 0TPs
8/9/19 D8 442 HEL-BUD dep 18:20 arr 19:35

This does leave a long layover in HEL, the other option which I could see would be to buy a return HEL-DUB-HEL on AY in Y and drop the last leg:

Ticket 2b: £123, 5/10TPs
8/9/19 AY 1255 HEL-BUD dep 16:45 arr 18:05
(drop 2nd leg so doesn't matter when it is! AY 1256 on 11/9/19 would do)

I couldn't find any good timed connections coming back to UK on Wednesday.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by BoeBus
Hi everyone, looking to route from anywhere in Europe to MSP,JFK,EWR for 12-16 SEP please, ideally with the return via LGW/LHR.

Had found Milan-LHR-JFK flights for £1300 but they shot up at midnight last night
Nothing perfect sorry, but these may be options?

MRS-LHR-JFK is £1350 but has a 10hr stopover in LHR on the outbound journey
LYS-LHR-JFK is £1350 but has a 14hr stopover in LHR on the outbound journey
NCE-LHR-JFK is £1350 but has a 16hr stopover in LHR on the outbound journey
ALG-LGW-JFK is about £1320 for your dates but does involve getting to ALG and the associated visa, bonus is the 80TPs each way for ALG-LGW.
ALG-MAD-LHR-JFK is about £1140 (but is partly on IB instead of BA and has the same ALG issues as before and takes longer)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Nothing perfect sorry, but these may be options?

MRS-LHR-JFK is £1350 but has a 10hr stopover in LHR on the outbound journey
LYS-LHR-JFK is £1350 but has a 14hr stopover in LHR on the outbound journey
NCE-LHR-JFK is £1350 but has a 16hr stopover in LHR on the outbound journey
ALG-LGW-JFK is about £1320 for your dates but does involve getting to ALG and the associated visa, bonus is the 80TPs each way for ALG-LGW.
ALG-MAD-LHR-JFK is about £1140 (but is partly on IB instead of BA and has the same ALG issues as before and takes longer)
The IB ALG-JFK can be routed direct ALG-MAD-JFK on IB’s A359, and return via LHR as OP requires.
No visa required if you position LGW-ALG to catch the ALG-MAD two hours later, or play it ultra safe with the VY BCN-ALG which gives you >5hr for connection.
See also this thread Algiers Airport Transit
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by ubiest

The IB ALG-JFK can be routed direct ALG-MAD-JFK on IB’s A359, and return via LHR as OP requires.
No visa required if you position LGW-ALG to catch the ALG-MAD two hours later, or play it ultra safe with the VY BCN-ALG which gives you >5hr for connection.
See also this thread Algiers Airport Transit
I assume that you could not drop the last leg (which may be way the OP wanted to route via LHR/LGW) because then you would either need a visa for Algeria or an outbound flight from Algeria that wasn't returning to London?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:27 pm

Do you have any more specific details? Budget? Approximate dates? Duration?
Ideally looking to depart between 10-15 May for about 2 weeks. Best I’ve found so far is ex AMS to ICN for about €1670. Add in the hop from DUB and probably about €1800
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
I assume that you could not drop the last leg (which may be way the OP wanted to route via LHR/LGW) because then you would either need a visa for Algeria or an outbound flight from Algeria that wasn't returning to London?
there is no same-day connection possible from a JFK-LHR onto the LGW-ALG, so luggage would be ok and visa check would happen at LGW rather than JFK.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by DavidYYC
I need four "BA operated flights" + 200 TP before Aug 8th to gain silver. Even though I am based in Calgary (YYC) I can position to Vancouver, Seattle or Dallas (at a push).

The BA fares from YYC are extremely high so I have priced some fares out of Vancouver. The cheapest I can get is:
YVR-LHR-BRU in Premium Economy which would give me 90+10 TP as the LHR-BRU leg is in K class. The return would yield 20+90 as the BRU-LHR leg is in Y.

Leaving August 1st return August 5th for CAD 2125.00. .
Pricing the fare from Calgary on BA the fare comes up at $2171.93 but I cannot tell if this is USD or CAD.
When priced on AA website again from YYC it is £1289 GBP approx $2164 CAD.
Skyscanner bringing up similar fares with OTA too. I share this to say, it does not appear that fares from YYC are "extremely high" and would be more convenient for you.
That would make it easier for you.

Last edited by IntVic; Jun 19, 2019 at 2:59 pm Reason: correction
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by IntVic
Pricing the fare from Calgary on BA the fare comes up at $2171.93 but I cannot tell if this is USD or CAD.
When priced on AA website again from YYC it is £1289 GBP approx $2164 CAD.
Skyscanner bringing up similar fares with OTA too. I share this to say, it does not appear that fares from YYC are "extremely high" and would be more convenient for you.
That would make it easier for you.
Thanks for your input. Yes those prices are in CAD and I have seen them. The outbound flight includes options via ORD or DFW on AA (BA Codeshare) going that route I would not be able to use my 10% promo-code. The direct YYC-LHR flight in PE (WT+) is the expensive option I mention.
I am still looking at other options and meddling with dates. One of which keeps me on BA metal (to use the promo code ) is to do a Multi-Citi from YVR-LHR-BRU-LHR-YYC. That fare is $2171 and i can use 10% discount on top that.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:48 am

The best that I can get for this would be (assuming that I have your dates correct):

Ticket 1: £372, 120TPs
8/9/19 BA 794 LHR-HEL dep 08:25 arr 13:20
11/9/19 BA 869 BUD-LHR dep 19:10 arr 20:50

Ticket 2: £40, 0TPs
8/9/19 D8 442 HEL-BUD dep 18:20 arr 19:35

This does leave a long layover in HEL....
Thanks, that is a great suggestion. I didn't think to check out HEL, I just associate it with "North" but of course it is actually quite a long way East as well. Having never been there, I could take advantage of the 5hr layover and nip into the city for a couple of hours.

Last edited by djbenedict; Jun 23, 2019 at 12:44 am Reason: Fix geography
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Any good last minute deal? I know finding last minute flight deals are difficult. Happy to fly Y!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by tomparskate
Any good last minute deal? I know finding last minute flight deals are difficult. Happy to fly Y!
If I can reiterate to please take time to read the opening posts and the Wiki and see what you come up with yourself first as you'll have to provide dates, flexibility, class needed, where to as in long haul or short haul? That would elicit more specific responses

Wiki:

Welcome to the Find me a good BA fare ticket clinic.
This is essentially for BA / BA codeshares and partner only. If your booking is essentially on Qatar, Qantas, AA or anyone else, please go to those forums and pursue the matter there. These forums have good subject matter experts to hand.
- Please avoid very vague questions. Specific questions get specific answers. Give exact dates, start point, end point, what flexibility you have.
- As a courtesy to the other forum members, please at least read some of the advice in the posts above, and find one fare as a start point. It's a lot easier to provide constructive feedback that way.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
Would appreciate if any gurus would look into this for me:

We're looking at getting to Southern Vietnam (SGN/DAD) for a bit of sun next February. Looking to get there using BA/OW/codeshares in W or J if possible. For 2 weeks, relatively flexible with dates.

NCL based but happy to jump somewhere relatively close: Scotland, London, AMS, DUB, BHD, BCN, CDG etc are easy enough to position to.

Best I've found is AMS-SIN/KUL in W for around the £790 mark, then buying the SE Asia flights separately with one of the locos there. This is pretty good value and would be willing to pull the trigger, unless anyone has any better ideas?

Cheers
A raw search at the moment but I can see all on one ticket, DUB-SGN going HKG on the way out and SIN on the way back in World Traveller Plus for 1073 Euros (approx. £950) That's out on 5th Feb and returning 18th Feb on ba.com

(Vietnam Airlines flights as the other ones)

A little bit dearer than you've got but at least there is no separate bookings and the risk of missing your onward flights.
TraumaDoc likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Hi Everyone,

Could anyone find me an exEU deal in World Traveller Plus to either HKG or SIN on 19/11. Return date and origin are of secondary importance, but ideally around 26/11. I don’t need J as I will upgrade with Avios.

The best I’ve found is £740 exMAD to SIN but I’m hoping there might be a better deal from a less obvious origin.

Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by wb1969
Hi Everyone,

Could anyone find me an exEU deal in World Traveller Plus to either HKG or SIN on 19/11. Return date and origin are of secondary importance, but ideally around 26/11. I don’t need J as I will upgrade with Avios.

The best I’ve found is £740 exMAD to SIN but I’m hoping there might be a better deal from a less obvious origin.

Thanks.
This looks like a great fare, I couldn't find anything better.
An option is to book multi city, out from MAD and back to LHR. Fare goes up approx £120 but may be worth it if you want to end trip in London.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by wb1969
Hi Everyone,

Thanks.
I have been seeing pretty good WT+ fares out of Spain recently and BCN has always been the cheapest by a few ££ for me, BCN-SIN is about £735 for your dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.