Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A genuine question for rude BA passengers

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Having suffered from mental illness myself, I find it sad that rude and/or unusual behaviour is still automatically associated with mental health issues by so many people.

Some of the taboo and stigma around mental health has been broken, but there is an awful long way to go.

To the OP: I appreciate the tone of your post, and the above is not personally aimed at you.
IAMORGAN, Sealink, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
What medication? Almost all medications have side effects! If she took yogurt, the butyric acid might affect her brain! If she drank bottled water, there are claims that it will cause heart disease, electrolyte imbalance, bicarbonate accumulation etc that may cause brain problems. There may be medications for she she may be the first one to have a side effect. How is the FA going to judge? Do Airlines have a list of "banned" medications? Medications affect men and women differently-how does that affect the FA asking questions?
Old May 24, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krispy84
Having suffered from mental illness myself, I find it sad that rude and/or unusual behaviour is still automatically associated with mental health issues by so many people.

Some of the taboo and stigma around mental health has been broken, but there is an awful long way to go.

To the OP: I appreciate the tone of your post, and the above is not personally aimed at you.
I agree with your comments whilst I have plenty of other health problems and I do have my morphine days. I am pleased mental health has become something we are aware of.

But I wanted to add, its one of the issues I feel we as public members are not aware on how to help someone.

I have enough problems with people thinking they know more about my health than doctors. The worst issue is when my lungs are being burnt and the cough that comes from that. People thinking I have an infection.
Sealink likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Can't you do both? If merited? There are lots of ways to show appreciation.
Yes of course but doing the latter is lazy.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you

Yes of course but doing the latter is lazy.
Curious why you presume that the CSM on that flight doesn't employ more than one method of showing appreciation? I have only heard this done once on a flight and he seemed sincere when thanking the CC. They seemed appreciative from what I gathered. I observed several problems during the flight and was impressed how proactive the CSM was in addressing them.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn’t presume anything, I was just going by what you said and then you went on to ask about different forms of feedback.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:12 am

I read your response as critical of the thank you I had detailed above.

Can I help you
"Yes of course but doing the latter is lazy."

I wasn't asking about different forms of feedback but suggesting that appreciation for team members can be expressed in many ways. Having typed this, I guess that your use of 'feedback' related to the CC.

AnaTravel
"Can't you do both? If merited? There are lots of ways to show appreciation."

From my perspective as a passenger the crew had worked hard and delivered great service. The CSM was excellent. I thought it was nice to hear a "well done" expressed in the galley.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I don't think it is necessarily wise to link bad behaviour to medication. Don't give these people an excuse!
sarahuk, HMPS and wrp96 like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've noticed AF has an abnormally high amount of demanding passengers compared to other airlines. There was always at least one who made a fool of themselves whenever I flew with them on a long haul flight especially in economy. Females....dressed as if they were attending an opening night at the opera.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The way I handle rude customers is to listen and then give short answers, like no that is not possible and then just repeat the answer after each let off of steam, the more you go into reasons the more that fuels the fire.
You have to remain calm and polite and they soon realise that they are not going to get what they want.
The Theresa May approach!!
Old May 24, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've noticed AF has an abnormally high amount of demanding passengers compared to other airlines. There was always at least one who made a fool of themselves whenever I flew with them on a long haul flight especially in economy. Females....dressed as if they were attending an opening night at the opera.
Reward dressers. The float plane ain't landing in hong kong harbor, lady.
HIDDY and nancypants like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Having witnessed yet another rude passenger on the Rio to Heathrow flight, I wonder whether crews or fellow passengers can start asking these individuals whether they are on medication. It's uncomfortable to watch unreasonable adult behaviours which this time involved a lady loudly demanding that the captain came to speak to her about the lack of choice in starters and desserts. It later turned into demands that her friend in Y should be given the spare CW seat next to her. Should crews be able to discreetly ask someone whether the person is on medication? Would crews add a note to the passenger records to reflect possible mental health issues and erratic behaviours rather than just "rude" or "unruly"?
I just prefer putting a uniformed law enforcement officer on all flights armed with a ticket book. Just start handing out fines and if the traveler does not pay put them on the Do Not Fly List until they do
LTN Phobia and nancypants like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:31 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
OK, I'll out myself. I am occasionally rude (but not on planes). I try not to be but sometimes I am. Usually it is because of some small annoyance when I am already extremely tired and stressed from other things that have happened. Air travel can be particularly stressful, so I'm not surprised it triggers bad behaviour in people sometimes. As CIHY said, a short answer and then getting on with your life is the best policy. Because I'm not actually a **** you might even get an apology from me later when I've calmed down. Not saying that the lady in OPs scenario was the same, but she probably deserved the same calm and unflustered response.
To the person who said that personalities don't change, I have to disagree. People who aren't mindful of what they are doing and how it affects others *can* learn as many recovering addicts do.
As to feeling sorry for such people, that sounds very similar to Nancy Pelosi saying "I pray for the President". Perhaps turn it round the other way and say you are happy to be you and not like that.
To the person who suggested that Jeremy Kyle has arrived on FT. That ship sailed long ago.
origin, Sealink and Magic01273 like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
I read your response as critical of the thank you I had detailed above.

Can I help you
"Yes of course but doing the latter is lazy."

I wasn't asking about different forms of feedback but suggesting that appreciation for team members can be expressed in many ways. Having typed this, I guess that your use of 'feedback' related to the CC.

AnaTravel
"Can't you do both? If merited? There are lots of ways to show appreciation."

From my perspective as a passenger the crew had worked hard and delivered great service. The CSM was excellent. I thought it was nice to hear a "well done" expressed in the galley.
Used on its own I think it is.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling

I find this rude! My current view
IAMORGAN and Sealink like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.