A genuine question for rude BA passengers

Old May 24, 2019, 5:51 am
Original Poster

A genuine question for rude BA passengers

Having witnessed yet another rude passenger on the Rio to Heathrow flight, I wonder whether crews or fellow passengers can start asking these individuals whether they are on medication. It's uncomfortable to watch unreasonable adult behaviours which this time involved a lady loudly demanding that the captain came to speak to her about the lack of choice in starters and desserts. It later turned into demands that her friend in Y should be given the spare CW seat next to her. Should crews be able to discreetly ask someone whether the person is on medication? Would crews add a note to the passenger records to reflect possible mental health issues and erratic behaviours rather than just "rude" or "unruly"?
Old May 24, 2019, 5:57 am

Um. No. Many regular prescriptions are for fairly mundane things unconnected to mental health, and unlikely to cause behavioural issues as a side effect. The only way to use this as an excuse would be to start digging into what kind of medication, and for what. That could never be a good thing.
Redhead, IAMORGAN, origin and 8 others like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
What a strange assumption. I am on plenty of medication, and none of it makes me rude or unruly. Nor do mental health issues make me rude and unruly.
Perhaps a note in the system that someone is a total plonker, but if a member of the crew asked me if I were on medication Id be shocked. If a fellow passenger asked me, Id be inclined to reply that it was none of their business.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
It's uncomfortable to watch unreasonable adult behaviours which this time involved a lady loudly demanding that the captain came to speak to her about the lack of choice in starters and desserts. It later turned into demands that her friend in Y should be given the spare CW seat next to her.
I didn't see the incident myself, but from the description I would ask why either of these demands would necessarily suggest mental illness? They seem to be entirely consistent with a common theme in reports of poor behaviour: people who think that they are special and specially entitled.

Frequently - perhaps usually - it is nothing more than an inability to understand that whatever cabin you're flying in, in reality you're almost certainly merely an unimportant number to BA, to be processed and carried along with thousands of indistinguishable others.

So many people can't cope with that, and deal very badly with it when they are reminded of it, but that is a long way from true mental illness (and it would be unfortunate and perhaps dangerous to trivialise mental illness in this way).
Andriyko, Gerbs, wrp96 and 8 others like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I can see where you are coming from, in that when someone is behaving weirdly, it does make you wonder if it's caused by something, be it medication or alcohol or whatever*, or whether the person is just plain rude and weird.
However, I don't think asking that question to a rude person would get anywhere.

*Rather than the implication that they have an underlying medical conditions such as a mental illness, the question here is, did they take something that might have affected their normal inhibition, e.g. anxiolytic, sleeping tablets, alcohol, or both etc.
origin, flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many countries have regulations to the effect that someone's medical records are private and confidential. It's none of your business.
david55, Gino Troian and ermis177 like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The way I handle rude customers is to listen and then give short answers, like no that is not possible and then just repeat the answer after each let off of steam, the more you go into reasons the more that fuels the fire.
You have to remain calm and polite and they soon realise that they are not going to get what they want.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Just sounds like a really rude person
a case if DYKWIA....
nothing to do with any illness, just bad manners

"The captain is a little busy flying the plane at the moment, to serve you an alternative meal"

"Unfortunatly, it is not possible for your friend to move up to Business class or first"
"But should you wish. You can move back to economy and sit with them"
"you will also be able to enjoy a different style of meal, which may be more to your liking"
​​​​​
Old May 24, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Having witnessed yet another rude passenger on the Rio to Heathrow flight, I wonder whether crews or fellow passengers can start asking these individuals whether they are on medication. It's uncomfortable to watch unreasonable adult behaviours which this time involved a lady loudly demanding that the captain came to speak to her about the lack of choice in starters and desserts. It later turned into demands that her friend in Y should be given the spare CW seat next to her. Should crews be able to discreetly ask someone whether the person is on medication? Would crews add a note to the passenger records to reflect possible mental health issues and erratic behaviours rather than just "rude" or "unruly"?
Was the tone used rude?

I dont see the requests as rude but more unusual
Old May 24, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: US Gold
Isn't the most likely medication in this scenario alcohol?

wg
nancypants likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:27 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The way I handle rude customers is to listen and then give short answers, like no that is not possible and then just repeat the answer after each let off of steam, the more you go into reasons the more that fuels the fire.
You have to remain calm and polite and they soon realise that they are not going to get what they want.
I tend to find that the nicer you are to people, including Cabin Crew, the more they are likely to help you in return ...

Travelling in Y to and from PIT last week I was royally looked after by the crew, for which I was extremely grateful - in fact I specifically asked to see the CSM to make sure he thanked them on my behalf during the Mixed Fleet de-brief, and from his reaction that's not something that happened very often. All that brought was more leftover goodies from CW and another glass of champagne, although by the time I was served afternoon tea with a tablecloth (albeit at 2am UK time) the people sitting in the aisle opposite must have wondered what on earth was going on!
Shingi, Gerbs, LTN Phobia and 8 others like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I suspect the OP was trying to be humorous.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:31 am

I've just realised the title is "A genuine question for rude BA passengers" (rather than about)

Since I answered, does that mean I've outed myself?
origin likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many countries have regulations to the effect that someone's medical records are private and confidential. It's none of your business.
There's no suggestion that access to medical records is granted. More that crews are alert to the signs of mental health. It's common practice and often referred to as a duty of care in many UK organisations now. Professionals would probably argue that rudeness is linked to the mind functions and emotions being distorted (for whatever reason, including as a result of alcohol, frustration) but that's maybe not for this forum. I certainly looked at the individual on my flight as being irrational in that moment (with possibly low emotional intelligence) but in an empathetic way, hence the question.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Rude behaviour is usually not driven by medication, rather a mix of genetics and upbringing. If you’re dealing with a grown up rude person, it’s safe to assume they will have that personality trait for the rest of their life.

Which in itself is probably a reason to feel sorry for them, more than anything else...
lavajava likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.