Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 1:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
KARFA, do you have any insights on the anomaly, where USA sectors under 651 miles are still showing redemption at the old (USA exception) rate i.e.
DCA/LGA still costs 15,000 Avios in U rather than than 16,500 Avios as suggested in your table (correct as at 0630h BST 31 May 2019).

Is this an administrative error by BA or inconsistent by design?

If its an intended exception, does that mean there needs to be a seperate annex to these unofficial award tariff tables published on Flyertalk? As far as I know BA doesn't publish award tables? Happy to be corrected.
I noticed this outlier too and am wondering if flights on AS up to 1,150 mi are similarly priced.

I am roadmapping the new tables for the forum spend guide and have already drafted out tables for
- BA
- IB
- EI (still checking this)
- AA (possibly including AS)
- others
TheRealBabushka likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by OWBA
Makes me wonder if you can redeem IB Avios on AS...
Nope.

Originally Posted by Prospero
I noticed this outlier too and am wondering if flights on AS up to 1,150 mi are similarly priced.
AS starts at band 2. The table is the same as for e.g. IG, but band 1 doesn't exist in terms of pricing.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Loyalty Lobby have picked up your chart @KARFA (with due credit).

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/05/30/...e/?omhide=true

Old May 31, 2019, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by sigma421
Don't agree with this. Sending an email saying 'prices are going up, here are the new ones' isn't that confusing - it happens all the time with Sky, mobile phone companies, electricity, gas etc.. Anyone simply using the booking engine would've been quoted a price and would've paid what they were quoted until the change went through. By keeping the new prices a secret, BA made the planned increase seem far worse than it actually is.
I must say I tend to agree. Whilst it is true that some airlines might just dump the news on their frequent flyers all of a sudden, there are many among the reputable airlines which give proper advance warning with details and in fact, that includes BA's own behaviour in the past. I too was surprised by the fact that they chose not to release details in advance as they have done in the past and as their most direct competitors still do.

Still, the positive is that the increase is not huge except for short flights, which I can understand were a problem to the extent that in some cases, it could mean our being able to book some award for shortest flights for significantly less than the airline's own frequent flyers. By contrast, for longer distances, BA is in line or over some of the competitors so I think that they would not complain similarly.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by JessicaTam

Who was the blogger that used it without mention to KARFA ?
Old May 31, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle

Great example why I value very little such wannabe commercial sites and prefer the community approach instead. You pretend to be oh, so commercial and professional, but yet can't arse to make your own material, such as an Avios redemption table.

I very much appreciate the efforts by KARFA, Prospero, CWS etc. instead.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by argonath
As I said in my post, @KARFA was given due credit.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
not on all websites where this chart has appeared.......
Old May 31, 2019, 4:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Originally Posted by argonath
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
not on all websites where this chart has appeared.......
Thanks. It won't be a surprise that I follow quite a few of the travel blogs. I spent quite a bit of time the other night putting it together. As you remember, it was FT'er TProphet who initially found a few of the rates for Y for band 1-4 and posted them on his blog and in post 61 of this thread. A few people including myself tried to extrapolate what we thought rates would be for other cabins using the existing multipliers, but it turned out they changed too, so of the 36 new rates, all but 4 could only be found when the new rates were loaded - the ones previously predicted a few weeks ago turned out to be slightly out as we assumed the cabin multipliers would remain the same.

Anyway, I knew some of the usual bloggers who just take things off here would use it - and for me that's ok as long as I get some acknowledgement. I don't always agree with what Loyalty Lobby blogs, but at least he had a very honourable approach and explicitly acknowledged by name where it came from - hence my comment thanking him on his post. I spotted at least two others who copied my stuff, one of which only vaguely referring to the information coming from FlyerTalk with no indication or thanks to any specific person, and another who claimed they quickly managed to piece all the new rates together by calling BAEC. The second one was a particularly bad, they had copied my table since they included the mistake I initially made with band 4 PE rate picked up later by super_agori in post 171 (I had listed it at 27,250 and it should have been 25,750). I do wonder how they would react if others copied their content?

Anyway, that's just an explanation to answer the queries. I don't want the thread to be diverted as I realise the topic is one of the new rates so if I can kindly request we keep to that I will of course accept any thanks if you wish to give them

I agree with Flying Yazata, I enjoy the community approach we have and I enjoy providing my small contribution to this forum ^

Last edited by KARFA; May 31, 2019 at 4:45 am
Old May 31, 2019, 4:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
@KARFA is a jolly good servant of the people
Old May 31, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Just got my Qantas redemptions for 2020 done in time. It's getting harder and harder to snag a deal with miles...too late to the mileage party
Old May 31, 2019, 5:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There was some speculation that the multi partner reward table would change too. So far it doesn't seem to have done so, the rates showing here (Partner airlines and click on "Table: Avios costs for booking with two or more oneworld airlines") are unchanged

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...reward-flights
Old May 31, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by BA0197
BAEC really doesn't look all that attractive to the person living in the USA now when comparing to other programmes.
And yet we can apply for BA and EI and IB credit cards issued by Chase that regularly have bonuses of 100K Avios each, plus other credit cards that also transfer to BA (Chase, Amex).

With judicious credit card applications and spending, a US member can easily earn 100K+ Avios a year.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BA0197
But it's easy to see how the bean-counters at Waterside would've not grasped this fact ...
That which JAXBA mentions strongly suggests that the Waterside bean counters were probably fully alive to the consequences for those who can much more easily earn vast numbers of Avios.

Many of the things that BAEC has been changing recently have had some effect towards slicing the BAEC membership into different sectors, while on the face of it maintaining a structure that is universally applicable.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BA
some of these changes are so minor they look downright petty.
etiene likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.