Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Speedbird 100 IPA & Air Craft - Brewdog specials for 100 year celebrations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speedbird 100 IPA & Air Craft - Brewdog specials for 100 year celebrations

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Does anyone know if it is available in the LGW lounge?
Old May 4, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold

Cheers! Nice beer. This was from BoB - not sure I’ll be buying more at £4.50 each - but it was a decent drink and quite fun for the inner avgeek. The view of Budapest out of the window didn’t really come out though, did it.... 😂
Old May 4, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It saw 2 cans on yesterdays BA238 in Y, of which I had one post-breakfast.

It was inoffensive, but far too fizzy for my liking; although I understand the challenges with serving similar drinks in a reduced atmosphere.
I thought one would be enough though as the pre-landing tea trolley came round for the cream cheese bagel I did ask for another. It didn’t turn up which was probably a good thing.

I imagine that JustTheOne had a far better experience drinking his on the ground, and if I can find one in the Flounge on Monday I may just do that.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: Cunard Platinum, SQ * Silver.
Just off ba800 this morning. Speedbird was available but only on Bob menu rather than available in CE. Bit annoying but I paid up for a can anyway. None to be seen in galleries north at T5.

Overall it's OK. I agree the similarity to Elvis Juice, but maybe a little milder than that. Decent enough choice.
TrainDriverSparky likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Better than CX's "Betsy", I hope

I remember when CX launched "Betsy" for a limited time as the first beer brewed to taste better at 35,000 feet. Have to admit I tried it at the lounge (sea level) in HKG, but it was not that impressive. Hope this effort is more appealing to my taste.

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/2...-better-flying

" Cathay Pacific is applying that idea a little farther with Betsy Beer, a custom craft brew that the company says is the first in the world to be designed and calibrated to specifically taste better when you’re 35,000 feet up in the sky. Betsy Beer was brewed in conjunction with Hong Kong Beer Co. and is named after Cathay Pacific’s first plane, a Douglas DC-3 airliner called “Betsy.” "
DeathSlam likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I remember when CX launched "Betsy" for a limited time as the first beer brewed to taste better at 35,000 feet. Have to admit I tried it at the lounge (sea level) in HKG, but it was not that impressive. Hope this effort is more appealing to my taste.

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/2...-better-flying

" Cathay Pacific is applying that idea a little farther with Betsy Beer, a custom craft brew that the company says is the first in the world to be designed and calibrated to specifically taste better when you’re 35,000 feet up in the sky. Betsy Beer was brewed in conjunction with Hong Kong Beer Co. and is named after Cathay Pacific’s first plane, a Douglas DC-3 airliner called “Betsy.” "

Well that is what they say about Speedbird as well

The recipe has been specifically brewed to work perfectly in the air and adapt
to the reduction in taste and smell sensitivity at high altitudes.

The key thing is that the bitterness and fruit flavours aren’t really affected by the altitude,
so we wanted to play on those two things and ramp up the sweetness.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Out of stock on the Brewdog website already... I just went to order some.

Ended up spending £100 on shares instead
Old May 4, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
On my last 2 long hauls, the pilots bought all the brewdog 100 and craft beer :-(
Presumably to drink at destination or sell on eBay .. Not to drink on flight deck. (BA not JAL!)
Old May 4, 2019, 6:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by flyerkit
On my last 2 long hauls, the pilots bought all the brewdog 100 and craft beer :-(
How did the pilots "buy" the beer? Alcohol is not charged for on BA long haul.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
The first member of staff I spoke to didn't have a clue about the discount either, but his colleague did. I had my card with me so showed that, but I'd like to think that the app card would be sufficient although I can't confirm one way or the other
I was in the NCL Brewdog on the 1st and the staff didn’t know anything about it but I persisted and they checked the till and the offer was loaded there. Might be worth mentioning that if questioned as all tills will have the same offer loaded.

I also got the 10% discount as I don’t think the staff have been properly briefed yet on differences between BA staff and BAEC.

I wasn’t asked to present anything to prove status, the staff took my knowledge of the offer as evidence. (Had card to show anyway)
Geordie405 likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
How did the pilots "buy" the beer? Alcohol is not charged for on BA long haul.
There is a crew purchase scheme for drinks - including soft drinks - to be used off duty down route. They fill in a form and it's deducted accordingly. In high cost locations it can save a fortune, given that crews often are incarcerated in sometimes relatively expensive hotels, or at the other extreme, cheap hotels with few outlets and relatively little local access to provisions.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is a crew purchase scheme for drinks - including soft drinks - to be used off duty down route. They fill in a form and it's deducted accordingly. In high cost locations it can save a fortune, given that crews often are incarcerated in sometimes relatively expensive hotels, or at the other extreme, cheap hotels with few outlets and relatively little local access to provisions.

Sounds reasonable, unless they buy everything on board so there's nothing left for passengers.
Is that what @flyerkit is saying?
Old May 4, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Flew LHR-PVG on BA161 on Thursday (only 34 in economy so we all had a row of three each to sleep in) and asked for a Speedbird 100. The Y crew had never heard of it and didn't have any, but did check up front and I was told it's not available on long haul, only BOB in ET. None in the lounge at the LHR B gates either (was told there it's only available on board).

Way to do something great BA then execute it poorly!
Old May 4, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Hilton Diamond, some others as well
Family member of me got the last can of Speedbird 100 in F back to LHR on the 212. Crew on board said that it won't be available in the lounges at all. Sounds rather strange to me but we will see in the future.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lloydje33
Family member of me got the last can of Speedbird 100 in F back to LHR on the 212. Crew on board said that it won't be available in the lounges at all. Sounds rather strange to me but we will see in the future.
Sort of.. It is being brewed to be enjoyed at higher altitudes, so perhaps they are trying to "preserve" it's flavor profile for where they believe it tastes best. Totally marketing, but who knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.