Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Speedbird 100 IPA & Air Craft - Brewdog specials for 100 year celebrations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speedbird 100 IPA & Air Craft - Brewdog specials for 100 year celebrations

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I remember when CX launched "Betsy" for a limited time as the first beer brewed to taste better at 35,000 feet. Have to admit I tried it at the lounge (sea level) in HKG, but it was not that impressive. Hope this effort is more appealing to my taste.

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/2...-better-flying

" Cathay Pacific is applying that idea a little farther with Betsy Beer, a custom craft brew that the company says is the first in the world to be designed and calibrated to specifically taste better when you’re 35,000 feet up in the sky. Betsy Beer was brewed in conjunction with Hong Kong Beer Co. and is named after Cathay Pacific’s first plane, a Douglas DC-3 airliner called “Betsy.” "
I tried the Speedbird 100 earlier this week on a LHR-JFK flight and CX's Betsy about 18 months ago HKG-NRT. The Speedbird 100 I won't be rushing to try again. CX's Betsy I found delicious and have checked for on every subsequent CX flight I have taken.
kt74 and teemuflyer like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Just got home after an overnight flight from MIA and enjoyed a couple of cans of Speedbird 100 with dinner. Got chatting to the cabin manager about beer in general, and he disappeared off to First (I was Club World) and came back with 2 bottles of AirCraft for me to take home. Nice crew and good beer, too.
teemuflyer and THEOBCMAN like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
The Flounge at LHR yesterday had a decent amount of Speedbird IPA (and Punk IPA) stocked in the fridges.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:05 am

I asked for one in CE to Bologna this week (8th May) and was told by the young CSM that I had to buy it, as it is only available in economy, so I said thanks, but no thanks. About 2 mins later the older stewardess who had heard our conversation appeared with two tins which she snuck to me, suggesting she had broken the rules to provide them (this sort of thing to me is exactly how business class on BA should be). Beer is nice and the marketeer in me loves the packaging/concept, but they need to clear up the the CE situation.
wrp96 and EDIwanderer like this.

Last edited by Joshm300; May 11, 2019 at 2:58 pm
Old May 11, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Joshm300
I asked for one in CE to Bologna this week (8th May) and was told by the young CSM that I had to buy it, as it is only available in economy, so I said thanks but no thanks. About 2 mins later the the older lady stewardess who had heard our conversation appeared with two tins which she snuck to me, suggesting she had broken the rules to provide them (this sort of thing to me is exactly how business class on BA should be). Beer is nice and the marketeer in me loves the packaging/concept, but they need to clear up the the CE situation.
Yeah, makes no sense. You can have your free "champagne" in CE, or any other beer, but not the BD ones?
Old May 11, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by BobServant

The Speedbird is indeed pretty fizzy, it takes a careful pour.
Finally managed to try Speedbird 100 on JFK-LHR the other day, agree very fizzy. I was served a glass with a lot of foamy head and told to ask for the rest when I'd drunk it as it was difficult to pour. I should have asked for the can so I could DIY but didn't think of that; I was recovering from 3 pints in the Brewdog bar area of the JFK lounge.

Much as I lament the loss of London Pride from BA, if Fullers were to emulate Brewdog and have draught in the lounge I'd probably get over-excited and miss the flight!
Old May 11, 2019, 12:22 pm

Available this evening in the Galleries South Lounge
Old May 11, 2019, 12:37 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Yeah, makes no sense. You can have your free "champagne" in CE, or any other beer, but not the BD ones?
The crew who say this are mistaken. The Brew Dog is (supposed to be) loaded on the CE bars and should be available (complimentary) to CE passengers. I would encourage those being given this wrong information advise the crew BA have announced in their marketing material that Speedbird 100 is available to CE passengers and ask them if they wouldn't mind checking the CE bar.

On launch day the crew proactively offered this to my son on our MAN-LHR, I tried one too - it would have been rude not to
teemuflyer, wrp96 and EJetter like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:27 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
In the front row of ET on the 1100 NAP-LGW flight, first to be served, and they were sold out. Likewise the pink gin.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I actually e-mailed BA about this as I was charged in CE on the way out (1 May) but got it free on the return. I had a reply stating that it is free for CE passengers and had some avios deposited into my account for my troubles.
TrainDriverSparky likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Speedbird and Punk both in the lounge at MAN this evening. Very pleasant and a massive improvement. Some new furniture too.
TrainDriverSparky likes this.

Last edited by TheFlyingCyclist; May 13, 2019 at 1:07 pm
Old May 13, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The crew who say this are mistaken. The Brew Dog is (supposed to be) loaded on the CE bars and should be available (complimentary) to CE passengers. I would encourage those being given this wrong information advise the crew BA have announced in their marketing material that Speedbird 100 is available to CE passengers and ask them if they wouldn't mind checking the CE bar.

On launch day the crew proactively offered this to my son on our MAN-LHR, I tried one too - it would have been rude not to
it was certainly freely available on this afternoons flight back from Sofia 🍻
Old May 13, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by Peter_S
I’m sat in MAN waiting for your aircraft to rotate up here... small world.
Peter_S likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist

I’m sat in MAN waiting for your aircraft to rotate up here... small world.
Ah, well, despite taking off slightly late we landed on time, well early in fact, at LHR. But it took over half an hour to actually get to the stand; I think the preceding aircraft pushed back on time, but then the queue for the holding area meant it couldn’t get out of the way and we couldn’t get on stand!!
Old May 13, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Peter_S

Was that your flight I saw from Galleries North that seemed to wait an age for a gate?

Back to Speedbird100, it was freely available on BA1470/BA1471 to Inverness and back in CE, but not in huge quantities. I was the only one drinking it I think and I had 3 on the round trip.
Peter_S likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.