Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Never" flying First again!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the price was right I would fly F over CW from LHR. When you don't have status the difference in the ground product alone makes the decision easier to make.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If the price was right I would fly F over CW from LHR. When you don't have status the difference in the ground product alone makes the decision easier to make.
The only difference in ‘ground product’ (as distinct from inflight service / catering / facilities) at LHR would be a slightly faster security process, and slighty better lounge environment. Would you seriously pay more than CW purely for that ?
Padmeister and watersign like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have to say I do find the beds in F more comfortable than CW
flyerkit likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by subject2load

The only difference in ‘ground product’ (as distinct from inflight service / catering / facilities) at LHR would be a slightly faster security process, and slighty better lounge environment. Would you seriously pay more than CW purely for that ?
I would say the CCR and the F Wing are both much better experiences than the J ground product, not slightly.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
That's a good point - as BA Gold (and even more so for those who have CCR card...) the gap between Club World and First is narrowed because you can use the First Wing anyway, avoid the worst of the jam-packed Club World / Galleries lounges, get Group 1 boarding...and most importantly select the best seats in Club World. I love the seats I love in Club World, but those are "Gold-only" at the time of booking and my experience of Club World would be somewhat different in a lesser seat, or if I had to pay c. 200 on top of a return ticket to secure a better seat...

So without status, I agree the gap between Club World and First may be more perceptible.

It's also a case of time and duration of flight...for a nice day flight to the US, I prefer a good Club World seat as I find it very comfortable and find it more private and less 'fussy' on the meal service than First. But for an overnight flight when I don't plan on eating anything on board anyway, I have to say the better bed in First is appealing.
HIDDY and flyerkit like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I would say the CCR and the F Wing are both much better experiences than the J ground product, not slightly.
Indeed....^
flyerkit likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Yes, they are better experiences, agreed. The Wing is a very welcome benefit for GCH’s.

But I just can’t imagine being motivated to pay much more than around £50 or so for the difference it would make on any given day. For me, the fundamental value of F class travel revolves around privacy, space, comfort, and a more pleasant / tranquil environment over the course of what might be a 12 hour (or longer) flight, rather anything BA - and indeed many others - currently provide ‘on the ground’.

In all honesty, I feel most carriers fall well short where F ground product is concerned (although some do make an extra effort at least, by way of a personal chauffeur service to & from the airport, occasional kerbside M&G, and lounge-to-aircraft boarding arrangements)

Last edited by subject2load; Apr 3, 2019 at 10:38 am
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
I agree with the joy of the UD, although CW in the 777 dormitory is another matter. But one key difference for me is the quality of the bed, even with the new(sih) CW bedding, I find the F bed considerably better and will always get a better night's sleep. So daytime UD, followed by red eye F is the way to go for me.
Agree! An upper deck CW window seat is great for privacy (once the partition goes up that is), but I definitely prefer F for sleeping. Also, I disagree a bit with the OP - I find the Concord Room and First Wing at T5 very nice indeed.

I will certainly pay a few hundred more to fly F over CW (which is often what it is at booking time), but not £700-900 which is a typical POUG.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ratypus
CWS - the 'right' CW seats on the A380 - is 59A on that list?
Yes, definitely, 53A is a bit better. K seats too. If width and length are appreciated over windows, then the middle E seats are good for sleeping and a double direct aisle. In theory 59E should be the smoothest seat in the skies.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Also they need to add space to the CCR as it is becoming crowded and the space is not enough to handle the increase in traffic during peak hours.
Or cut F capacity
Cap'n Benj likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Smid
Problem with the upper deck is that one time I tried it it was so incredibly hot that I could barely stay in my seat never mind sleep.
yup same on our last flight in the upper deck BA
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Last business trip (JFK) the fare difference between the available CW and F fares at time of booking was pretty minimal so I paid own cash for the difference both ways. I had 1A in the 747 on the redeye return legt but really sat there only to tick a box. Frankly the guy in 1K was, without being wierd enough to warrant a complaint to CC, odd enough to be distracting. And in row 1 he's pretty close.

Otherwise I'd have been happy enough in my usual J seats (62/64 A/K if on the jumbo, and failing that, or if on a triple, window seat at back of cabin so also having aisle access - and same criteria on the 380). I always seem to be able to get the seats I want - either immediately upon booking or by setting alerts on EF. Never seems to be a big problem.

The one F flight I've taken on BA where I really felt a difference was out to HKG a few years back on a brand new A380 with the tasting menu with matched wines. Probably helped that I had loads of time before the flight to relax etc so I did the whole F experience, rather than it just being a slightly nicer seat to rest me better so I can work harder when I arrive wherever I am going. Other F flights have all really felt like just a slightly nicer J and while I have enjoyed them all, I can genuinely take it or leave it.

Suspect the product improvements will be significant in the next wave though.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And I flew HKG-LHR on Saturday and had the 3-in-1 roll departing HKG, so Do&Co must have a kitchen in Hong Kong too.
Oh that’s good to know! Flying in F (prob the one and only time!) on the A380 back from HKG-LHR in 2 month’s time.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by subject2load

Whatever people say about the CCR, it is a huge, huge step up over GC.

As to what that’s worth alone in real or Avios cost, is a very individual thing
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Regarding the improved F that is on the way - well that is why I put "never" in quotes. Of course F is overall somewhat more exclusive, and when flying LH or LX I quite enjoy F because of the service (so more important on a day flight than if just sleeping) as well as the hugely different ground product (no transfer security on outbound, and separate F security on inbound, and the better lounges). I look forward to when BA has a better F product.

I do agree that having BA Gold probably helps a fair bit. I have never been to GC. GF was perfectly OK - better than a Senator lounge which is what you would get flying business on LH with status. On the inbound it was very crowded, but the CCR tends to be as well. CCR in comparison to LH/LX F lounges is poor.

Interesting to note comments about price only being a couple hundred more. In this case (to DXB), F was 3x the price of C (and this is consistently the case, not a last minute ticket).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.