Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by MTJ Bound

The CCR is certainly inferior to the LH F lounges/FCT (assume same for LX and AF though haven’t flown them).

But I think the biggest issue is that F passengers have to deal with the train, same bus if a hard stand, etc. as everyone else. When I landed in MUC on an LH F flight and parked at a hard stand, there were 7 luxury sedans at the bottom of the stairs to take each passenger to customs or the arrivals lounge (or the terminal for connecting passengers). Same for departing passengers from the FCT in FRA. Meanwhile, BA’s F passengers get the privilege of boarding with every gold card holder on the plane. It’s hardly an “F” experience.
You don't get the same landing at FRA. You're a normal passenger from the minute you leave the aircraft and the minute you leave the F lounge.

I left the terminal and walked to the FCT, which is nicer than the CCR (everyone says the F lounge in FRA main terminal is as good too (bar no car)), as discussed though, if BA have halved pax numbers and upped the cost, they don't have to raise standards all that hard to match it.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by icegirl
I agree there needs to balance on priorities but at the end of the day who is more important, your employer or family? For all the overtime put into to go above in beyond, does it pay off financially to make you happier or be able to take the time off in lieu or even both?

I remember someone recently sharing this through socials (I dont know the author to give credit)

Interesting you bring up the concept of utopia, going by this forum alone isn't that what BA should really be striving for the world of commercial aviation?
BOLDING MINE.

Remember compromise & balance ? Next time you do it give a nod to all of us who discovered it a long time ago.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HMPS
Remember compromise & balance ? Next time you do it give a nod to all of us who discovered it a long time ago.
That’s why I took early retirement, thanks to a redundancy scheme, and stopped going to work a couple of months before my 50th birthday. And 24 years later, I have absolutely no regrets about that decision. My wife made the same decision around the same time, with similar results ... contentment!

We travel quite often (5-6 holidays a year in Business) but CBA to pay the excessive premium for BA F, so icegirl is safe from our intrusion into that cabin.
NoY, HMPS, SaraJH and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by T8191

We travel quite often (5-6 holidays a year in Business) but CBA to pay the excessive premium for BA F, so icegirl is safe from our intrusion into that cabin.
Well that is certainly reassuring to hear and I will sleep with ease knowing this tonight. I mean seriously for someone who doesn't know me to come to such a conclusion....unbelievable
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by T8191
That’s why I took early retirement, thanks to a redundancy scheme, and stopped going to work a couple of months before my 50th birthday. And 24 years later, I have absolutely no regrets about that decision. My wife made the same decision around the same time, with similar results ... contentment!

What a charmed life.

Well that is certainly reassuring to hear and I will sleep with ease knowing this tonight. I mean seriously for someone who doesn't know me to come to such a conclusion....unbelievable
Actually T8191 beat me to say you are safe from us . I would not want to pay the exorbitant "fees" for a F redemption (nor J), far be it for me to sully the pure F.
BTW we know you, from what you have said !
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:22 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Amusing this is even up for debate.

I would assume it has very little to do with who is of sufficent social class to be in first class and everything to do with feeling like the one sucker having paid for something sitting in a cabin full of people who paid nothing or nominal cost to be there.
NoY and Padmeister like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by amt
Amusing this is even up for debate.

I would assume it has very little to do with who is of sufficent social class to be in first class and everything to do with feeling like the one sucker having paid for something sitting in a cabin full of people who paid nothing or nominal cost to be there.
Caveat Emptor!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by amt
But how do you know whether your cabin is “full of people who paid nothing or nominal cost to be there”, or whether it’s full of revenue pax? And why would you even want to know if it has the potential to ruin your enjoyment so much?

If you’re sitting in the seat that you paid for, in the cabin that you paid for, and you still feel like a sucker - well, you only have yourself to blame for that.
HMPS, angeloedades and LimaWhiskey like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If it's as spacious and non-bling as SQ A380 new Suite (and the bed as hard, honestly!), I would gladly pay BA my revenue F at the same fare level as SQ.
if the choice were Emirates vs SQ I would never fly EK! I hate the golden toilet seats...
LimaWhiskey likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA
Most employers are perfectly happy to allow that - mine (a FTSE100 company) is ok with me earning points.
I didn’t think Ryanair flights earned any miles?!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by nufnuf77

if the choice were Emirates vs SQ I would never fly EK! I hate the golden toilet seats...
SQ A380 new suite loo is actually a major attraction for this claustrophobic. No gold in sight but it's very, very spacious with a proper dressing table.

I feel slightly stressed at the idea of a golden loo seat... (I have nothing against gold, but it's best limited to jewellery and industrial use, rather than in the loo seats...).
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I would personally be curious to know the spend of various passengers in a cabin.
It's nice knowing that, thanks in part to FT, I could be flying for half the price of someone else. It's also good to know if I'm missing something that could save me money. But at the end of the day, if I feel what I paid is far less than the "going rate", then I'm pretty happy.

I never knew a thing about miles, tier points etc. before joining here (well, was a member on a Virgin forum so knew how to redeem my miles with them for an UC seat).
I expect many people flying are none the wiser with regards to ex-EU, APD, upgrades etc.

Tesco Lego, game pre-orders, cds etc. made me a load of Avios that funded some F flights. First one on CX cost me around £105, and subsequent ones, practically zero (made a profit so technically free points).

I don't really see the value in a F cabin. Sure it's a nice treat should the cost to myself be low enough, but I certainly wouldn't pay £2-3k+ for it when I could survive a £300 Y fare or £570 in WT+ ex-EU suffices and provides a sweet spot for upgrades.
No issues with those who can afford it, or choose to fly nothing else, but for me, there are better uses for my money on a general basis.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Come on, this is absurd. Do you have a sixth sense that tells you how people paid for their flights? Or perhaps on boarding you survey your fellow passengers about their payment methods, to determine whether your flight is exclusive or not?
It must be a magic sense!
I've been lucky enough to fly F (and yes, despite what some would say it's always been a good jump above J) several times. Sometimes via Tesco/Amex/Topcashback/Holiday Inn-generated Avios, sometimes as an "instant upgrade" J cash fare and sometimes as a cash A fare. I've not yet flown on a full-price F fare, but in all cases I've done the same things, worn the same clothes and carried the same luggage. There's no way on earth you could tell whether I was flying on an F, A or Z fare... unless, of course, you've sneaked a peek at the crew's manifest!
HMPS and hearingdouble like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: BA
Let's face it you've come out with some corkers in this thread and indeed in other threads in the past. I'm not sure why you're so surprised at the reaction you've received.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I didn’t think Ryanair flights earned any miles?!
Even my employer doesn’t make me fly FR - I am business critical don’t you know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.