FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   New First Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1958525-new-first-class.html)

quakered Feb 28, 2019 3:43 am

New First Class

I was sitting next to a senior chappie in BA at a City lunch and he mentioned that BA would be rolling out a new First offering and would only have 8 seats or suites.... I see Willie Walsh has just confirmed this message with the IAG results so feel I should reveal the other information I was told. Apparently the only way to get seat in the new First will be to buy a ticket. No points redemption flights, no rewards for spending too much on your credit cards and no Airmiles upgrades.

As a poor old pensioner who has to pay for his flights in First, this seems very sound thinking to me. However I suspect BA also plan to re-introduce the large price gap between Club and First and we may therefore be forced to only book second class tickets for our holiday travels in this new environment.

Krisz Feb 28, 2019 3:50 am

I think it would be very interesting as other airlines tried this and failed. It is always comes down price, etc. BA can as always limit sales and price points as does it today but I don't think this is a good strategy moving forward. Personally if I can't use avios to upgrade to first or I can't use avios to buy first then I won't be flying on first. I don't think I miss much as the CW (and don't forget a new flat bed CW is rolling out soon) is very strong already. Of course other airlines offering could be much better then CW and First I'm talking BA only.
The smaller First cabin was an open secret and I think lot of people expected that move. Also some routes could loose First as well, however the recent news about the new 777-9 with First cabin show that differently. Probably only the a350 won't have First.

mikeyfly Feb 28, 2019 3:54 am

Considering BA F can be had in sales / specials for around £1,800 exINV for the East Coast USA it's not out of reach... even for a poor old pensioner ;)

Tiger_lily Feb 28, 2019 3:58 am

Air Canada had some good fares to YYC for next winter which I just missed out on. As BA have binned YYC off in winter permanently, and AC have got the signature offering on the 797-9, I think I’ll give it a whirl next time they have a sale on.

A P Yu Feb 28, 2019 4:11 am

I doubt it will only be just for fare paying passengers, or all the pilots would go on strike as First priority standby is one of their perks (hence probably a good reason to downsize it)

ratypus Feb 28, 2019 4:13 am

No redemptions even for (high) status holders? Swiss - amongst others - restrict redemption availability for First quite heavily, but Senators (I think) and HON Circle can still book redemptions - would BA consider the same, say allow Gold or GGL and higher to book redemptions or at least Avios upgrades into First

flatlander Feb 28, 2019 4:31 am

Looking entirely qualitatively (quantitive numbers would be quite confidential) some people store up their Avios for that prized long haul trip in First without any status. BA does a lot of business selling Avios to people like Tesco who then give them to such people. Restricting First redemptions to only status holders would damage that Avios sale business.

Avios is much more than a frequent traveller kickback, it's a whole private currency with it's own multi-actor economy.

A P Yu Feb 28, 2019 4:41 am

Lots of BAs corporate deals have sweeteners such as free upgrades to F too

abligh Feb 28, 2019 5:14 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 30830685)
Considering BA F can be had in sales / specials for around £1,800 exINV for the East Coast USA it's not out of reach... even for a poor old pensioner ;)

... and reasonably frequently F is cheaper than CW.

bmibaby737 Feb 28, 2019 5:24 am

Are BA allowed to do that with Oneworld?
will a Qantas or an AA FF still be able to book redemptions in BA F?

IAMORGAN Feb 28, 2019 5:25 am

I’ll get my popcorn out and watch the speculation unfold. As a Blue member I would fully support limiting F redemptions to GCHs as long as there was a carve out for me as a former GCH.

I will wait for a formal announcement & comment then (whilst secretly booking F into 2020 ‘just in case’).

SQTraveller Feb 28, 2019 5:47 am

If they follow SQ's example, they will restrict redemptions for a bit but then slowly allow them at a later date.

LTN Phobia Feb 28, 2019 5:55 am

If it's as spacious and non-bling as SQ A380 new Suite (and the bed as hard, honestly!), I would gladly pay BA my revenue F at the same fare level as SQ.

Cap'n Benj Feb 28, 2019 6:00 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 30830685)

Im not sure your standard pensioner would consider 1800 a bargain, or indeed fancy a trip up to Inverness!

Plus with stock cut by a 1/3, there is going to be far less need to top up numbers with bargain fares

Cap'n Benj Feb 28, 2019 6:02 am

Can’t wait to see the ire on here as all those who’ve whines about BA’s F an J service for so long end up not being able to fly it due to the lack of redemption space and higher prices!