Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Once decided to count back and see what I had had on a fairly routine Prg Lhr Sin Syd Mel ..came out at 26 drinks .. not units. Have since decided to be a bit more conservative. Today- 1 wine Mel to Syd and 3 champagnes so far in QF F lounge. Aim to be around10 by Prg for no particular reason other than .. well I dont know really? Calories?
Boredom and lack of will power are two of the main culprits!
Now to TR or not to TR - Returning BA J after F out - SYD SIN LHR PRG that is the question?
OF
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i'll just say years ago when AA introduced new service on longhauls, i "borrowed" one of their stemless wine glasses out of curiosity to see how much wine i drink on flights. i was eye-opening how much those glasses actually hold! plus the etch of the logo is well placed because filling to the middle of the icon yields about a 175ml pour of wine. but more often than not they get more generous and fill near the top!

but now based in LON with loads of SH i'd say:

short haul biz or leisure (i never fly during the day for work trips, always in evening before): two wines in lounge if time. onboard, i can manage four of the small bottles on something like LCY-AMS and maybe one or two more to longer flights and be completely fine and go about my evening upon arrival.

long haul: probably two more wines (so four) in lounge, then take-off drink. then thru entire flight more wine, food, tv, sleep and going west--probably one more wine with pre-landing food.

WHEN I WAS YOUNGER LOL, i drank more spirits when traveling, but lost the taste for it through my 30s so really just kind of stick to wine which evidently my body manages quite well as i am fine upon landing and honestly, as an american, BA nor VS will ever be able to do a proper vodka soda to my liking what with the lack of ice and the sliver of lemon :P
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Is the heroic levels of consumption described (by many) in this thread due to
  • the booze being free,
  • a libertine environment engendered by travel
  • (or a combination of both)
or does it reflect everyday alcohol intake ?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
  • the booze being free,
at least for me, its that i enjoy a drink whilst traveling and the environment i do think plays into my participation more than anything. i want to relax and enjoy.
bakera likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
  • the booze being free,
In any case it certainly illustrates very conceptions of drinking. I don't have a puritan bone in my body, and don't care what other people drink as long as they control themselves and do not endanger others or become a liability to their own, but I'll admit that in my case, I can only enjoy a drink through sipping and savouring. There is simply no way I would have the time to enjoy what some other people describe in the time it takes to fly/be in a lounge.

My own drink limitations are predominantly for different reasons (how I feel when I arrive) but even without that self-limitation I don't think I could drink that much!!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Bronze
My last two flights varied significantly- last BA flight on BA178 - I do normally have a pre flight Champagne (it looked a very generous helping) but skipped it as I had been up all night and came to the airport from a night club- already tiring of the ‘good life’,
I had a champagne with breakfast which was not nice - very acidic so only had a couple of sips.
Self mixed V&T later before the ‘tapas’ and that was it.
The other flight was an AA domestic ORD-LGA pre flight of V&T and at least 2 more in a less that 2 hour service. Add the Flagship lounge beforehand - it really was a lot !
The crew member was delightful- she even rustled me up a curry as there was an AVML over- very nice it was too.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:18 am

• the booze being free,
Imagine the scenario. You're sitting in a bar. It's a comfy seat, you can go to the loo if you want, but other than that you can't leave your seat for a number of hours. Every now and again, a waiter/ress walks past and offers you free drinks. And you're on holiday (in my case, as I hardly travel for business).
VSLover, endoman, Toonfan and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
  • the booze being free,
It certainly isn't because it is free for me and as we are all travelling J or F I suspect that, IMO, most people in the lounge could afford to buy drinks if that is what they wanted to do. For me it is the feeling of freedom and self-determination that travel creates. I always feel special and fortunate when travelling and I that puts me in the mood for a glass or two.
bakera, ukgooner, Toonfan and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose. MSWMC
OK, it was Qantas. But can anyone beat this?
https://www.cricketcountry.com/artic...-flight-307274
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
If it was same quality BoB I'd pay for it.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:18 am
Suspended

2 whisky at Lounge and the same in the sky
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Depends on the flight, if it's a dinner one in First I can really let er rip. At least one champagne PDB, two if the flight attendant is generous, a scotch on the rocks after takeoff, a glass of red with my main and maybe a refill on the scotch and then Port with dessert. Now that's a good flight.

On a CE flight usually just two Gin and Bitter Lemons.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
No alcohol, ever, I can't stand the stuff. Coffee ditto.

I ask for lots of water while flying and OJ in the morning.
Lady Jag likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA, AA, Azamara, Princess, RCI & more
How much alcohol?

None. I do get a kick out of those that are clearly flying BC for the first time and HAVE to have champagne. Lots of champagne.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by Lady Jag
None. I do get a kick out of those that are clearly flying BC for the first time and HAVE to have champagne. Lots of champagne.
Well surely you can understand that for some it’s a rare or even once in a lifetime experience; I certainly wouldn’t be rolling my eyes at the obvious pleasure of other passengers having their first premium cabin experience. Champagne is one of the defining features of being ‘up front’ and there to be enjoyed!

If anything it would make me smile and remind me not to take it for granted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.