Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Not enough!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HuwieHex
OK, it was Qantas. But can anyone beat this?
https://www.cricketcountry.com/artic...-flight-307274
Tindall got to ~50 on the way back from the RWC in 2003.....then got carried out of a different exit and taken to hospital whilst the trophy was paraded through Heathrow.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
My personal record is ~4 bottles of LPGS coming back to the US on New Year's eve. ~1.5 in the CCR and ~2.5 onboard. Nothing when compared to the 8 bottles of Dom and other accomplishments told on this board.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I have a small confession to make, more about the timing than the quantity: On a recent inbound to LHR from the Far East, I slept for the first 9 or so hours of the flight and then did the "dinner at 2 am London time" thing. I couldn't resist having a couple of glasses of wine with it. Then, being too full to have any dessert (and mindful that I could get some fruit when the imminent breakfast service began), I asked whether the dessert wine was already open. No, but the CC insisted on opening it for me. So I also downed a couple of half-glasses of that.

In total, that was more than I'd usually drink on a flight - but it felt particularly decadent to be doing it at what already felt like breakfast time. I'll draw a discreet veil over what happened next, but I look forward to enjoying more of that dessert wine at a more conventional time.

I agree that some of the quantities described here could be described as "heroic". But that's hardly unexpected, given the persistence of the culture that the more alcohol you are able to drink, the more worthy of respect you are. Personally, if I were to drink a full bottle of anything on board a flight, I expect that I'd be needing medical attention.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Back in September 2018 en route to Seoul I managed to enjoy 6 glasses of Champagne in the First Lounge (got carried away on my first visit after making Gold), then had 7 glasses of fizz onboard, 4 glasses of wine during the meal service and 3 Bailey's in coffee (which the crew member convinced me was good to drink).

The hangover was well worth it though.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Yachtman
It might be a generational thing, I’m a millennial, but I rarely drink when flying, if ever.

...and everyone knows why https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mi...oze-2018-09-26
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Used to have a skinful during my twenties and early thirties - and suffer the stonking hangovers upon arrival.

ive now discovered the bliss of arriving hangover-free, and the minimal jet lag that accompanies; and therefore don’t indulge when flying long haul for work.

on leisure, I’ll have a glass of something (G&T) after takeoff then that’s me done. I’d rather have a couple of beers on arrival than get lashed during the flight. All part of growing up.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Going to Dubai from LHR in F. Cabin crew member said to me, you've had the whole bottle. I replied it was good, got any more?
iamnibblypig likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I just finished my 5th and final glass of chardonnay on a 3 1/2-hour flight.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:52 pm

Not much flying to the US from LON, but then a glass of champagne on boarding on the way back (ideally refilled after finishing the first one quickly) and sometimes wine with dinner when eating, although I normally eat at the airport and skip most of the food on board. I usually drive home from LHR which puts a damper on consumption.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I used to drive to/from the airport but I have found that after a long-haul flight I am often so tired (even when in CW) that I shouldn't be driving anyway and so I now use the train. If it is only me then it works out a fair bit cheaper too. This, of course, means I don't have to worry about drinking and driving on my return. I wouldn't take the train just to have more drink but it is a nice consequence that I don't have to worry about it.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser

I agree that some of the quantities described here could be described as "heroic". But that's hardly unexpected, given the persistence of the culture that the more alcohol you are able to drink, the more worthy of respect you are. Personally, if I were to drink a full bottle of anything on board a flight, I expect that I'd be needing medical attention.
(bold added)

I’m inclined to agree on that point myself, although would say that - in truth - any sense of ‘respect’ is much more in the mind of the consumer directly involved, rather than bystander or observer.

And to pick up on your reference to ‘heroic’ ...... I get the impression from many, many posts here, that downing large quantities of champagne (or indeed wine generally), whether in an airport lounge or an aircraft premium cabin, is portrayed as being somehow more fashionable than simply slugging your way through ten pints on a Friday night at some nondescript pub.

Either way, I very much doubt that one’s liver would be impressed.

Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
In the past ten years on BA, I think I've tried a glass of champagne once (still not a fan) and nothing in the lounges. I'm definitely among BA's least expensive to support GGL members when it comes to alcohol consumption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.