Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by flyslow
Probably not even worth mentioning a lovely lady who, while boarding in DUB, put her roller in front of me and said "I need you to put it up there!" while pointing at the locker.
I would have said, “and what’s the magic word??”
orbitmic, T8191, alex67500 and 8 others like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
With the state of my poor old back, there is no way I am moving anybody's luggage ... even if asked nicely.
wrp96, watersign and argonath like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by rickg523
Don't you think he did it just to watch the ensuing chaos for a bit of mid-shift entertainment?
I had this on a domestic AA flight a while ago. For those not familiar there are two lines, "Priority" for Groups 1-4 and "Main" for Groups 5-9. It was just a few minutes before boarding and a line had formed in the Priority lane leading up to the BP reader. The GA walked from behind the podium, turned the sign around which flipped the Priority and Main lines causing everyone to shuffle over.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
I had this on a domestic AA flight a while ago. For those not familiar there are two lines, "Priority" for Groups 1-4 and "Main" for Groups 5-9. It was just a few minutes before boarding and a line had formed in the Priority lane leading up to the BP reader. The GA walked from behind the podium, turned the sign around which flipped the Priority and Main lines causing everyone to shuffle over.
I have seen this happen from time to time - it may be a hint that it is a mistake to line up too early.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
Just had a BA silver jump straight to the front of the boarding queue. How do I know he is BA Silver? 2 bag tags on one bag... and card being waved in the air.

This is a Lufthansa flight. Swiftly sent back, economy with no status. How embarrassing.
Flying from BOS a few years ago & before the new lounge a nice gentleman came to the attention of people at the gate . He was trying to queue barge the premium line based on his belief that his gold card granted this. I was standing at the front of the queue in a Hawaiian shirt Chinos etc. and there were four more soberly dressed people behind me. We're being held to ease congestion on the jet bridge and he's trying to get in front of me. Lady manning the scanner tells him he'll have to join the back of the queue. He produces his Gold Card and points to it as if it's some magic talisman capable of inducing the Jedi Mind Trick.

Gate lady says "Sir everybody in the queue except for this gentleman (meaning me) has a gold card......" He opened his mouth to say something.
"And he's flying in our First Class cabin tonight"
I don't know where he was actually sitting but it wasn't F
Old May 11, 2019, 1:33 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Flying from BOS a few years ago & before the new lounge a nice gentleman came to the attention of people at the gate . He was trying to queue barge the premium line based on his belief that his gold card granted this. I was standing at the front of the queue in a Hawaiian shirt Chinos etc
I've posted this before so apologies to all that may have read it. About 12 years ago my late wife and I were traveling back from YYZ in J so we joined the CW check-in queue which as usual was pretty much adjacent to the Y queue. The CW line was not too busy but the Y one was very looooong. Having been on holiday for a week I was in shorts, t-shirt, sandals and a weeks worth of beard growth. There were alot of glares from the folks in the Y queue so we must have looked a bit out of place.

A lady arrived behind us in the J queue (with GCH cards on her luggage) and sneeringly looked us up and down before saying, "this is the business class queue, I think you will find economy is over there" and gestured to the Y line. My wife just said, "ok, thanks" and we of course stayed where we were. I turned round a few minutes later and got a very, very icy stare from her

There was a CW desk and F one side-by-side and we finished up at one and her at the other in parallel. Turned out she was not in business class at all, a GCH or any status - it was her husband who was the GCH and she was trying to use this as "status" of some sort for herself. The check-in agent was having none of it and after a bit of an argument firmly told her she would have to join the Economy queue to which my wife could not resist repeating the same words back to her and an identical gesture motion, "oh, I think you will find Economy queue is over there"
Old May 11, 2019, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by BOH
I've posted this before so apologies to all that may have read it. About 12 years ago my late wife and I were traveling back from YYZ in J so we joined the CW check-in queue which as usual was pretty much adjacent to the Y queue. The CW line was not too busy but the Y one was very looooong. Having been on holiday for a week I was in shorts, t-shirt, sandals and a weeks worth of beard growth. There were alot of glares from the folks in the Y queue so we must have looked a bit out of place.

A lady arrived behind us in the J queue (with GCH cards on her luggage) and sneeringly looked us up and down before saying, "this is the business class queue, I think you will find economy is over there" and gestured to the Y line. My wife just said, "ok, thanks" and we of course stayed where we were. I turned round a few minutes later and got a very, very icy stare from her

There was a CW desk and F one side-by-side and we finished up at one and her at the other in parallel. Turned out she was not in business class at all, a GCH or any status - it was her husband who was the GCH and she was trying to use this as "status" of some sort for herself. The check-in agent was having none of it and after a bit of an argument firmly told her she would have to join the Economy queue to which my wife could not resist repeating the same words back to her and an identical gesture motion, "oh, I think you will find Economy queue is over there"
Now this, is funny!
Old May 11, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by BOH

This cheered me right up, thanks.
The embodiment of karma!

The minds of some people really baffle me.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
On a recent flight to Madeira: Last minute aircraft change resulted in row 1 on the right hand side disappearing. Mr 1D and Mrs 1F showed up, trying to kick Mr 2D & Mrs 2F out of their seats. Lots of back and forth, Mr 1D insisting he specially booked the bulkhead and demanding 2D/F be reseated somewhere else. Mrs 1F insisting she needed the legroom. In the end Mrs 2F was about to give up and volunteered her seat. As she looked genuinely frail my partner and I volunteered our seats instead (we were in 1A/C). Somehow it didn't sit right though - the sense of entitlement of 1D/F made it feel wrong to let this slip.

Fast forward to where this story finds it's thread typical end: Arriving in Funchal, we ended up next to a very long avis queue. Thanks to avis preferred, we were able to bypass this. Mr 1D arrived just after us, joining the avis preferred queue as well. As we were leaving the counter, he moved forward and was told in no uncertain terms that without preferred he had to join the regular queue. After lots of back and forth he then proceeded to join the front of the regular queue.

I wanted to hang around for a bit to see what would happen next, but unfortunately my partner did not want to spend the holiday gathering material for this thread. I suspect in the end 1D got his way. That sort of behaviour unfortunately tends to pay off - even though on this thread it usually doesn't.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BA GGL
Coming back from Bologna yesterday in 1D and 1F. We board just ahead of Mr and Mrs 1A and 1C, and my girlfriend puts her bag above their seats - nice to be able to see your stuff.

Mr 1C mutters “that’s not very helpful”, and as soon as we’ve sat down he moves our bag to above our seats and then stores his own bag above his head.

Predictably he didn’t go into his bag, complete of course with Gold tag, once during the flight. Not annoying, just very baffling and quite funny behaviour.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by woglet86
... my girlfriend puts her bag above their seats - nice to be able to see your stuff.

Mr 1C mutters “that’s not very helpful”, and as soon as we’ve sat down he moves our bag to above our seats and then stores his own bag above his head.

If there was space above 1D 1F, I would probably have done the same. Actions like yours are the precursor to all the threads about locker space. As for security, you would be more likely to notice someone in the locker over your head than that on the other side of the cabin.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
If there was space above 1D 1F, I would probably have done the same. Actions like yours are the precursor to all the threads about locker space. As for security, you would be more likely to notice someone in the locker over your head than that on the other side of the cabin.
I sense an off-topic 'debate' on the horizon....
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Coming back from Bologna yesterday in 1D and 1F. We board just ahead of Mr and Mrs 1A and 1C, and my girlfriend puts her bag above their seats - nice to be able to see your stuff.

Predictably he didn’t go into his bag, complete of course with Gold tag, once during the flight. Not annoying, just very baffling and quite funny behaviour.
Gets the popcorn ready for the discussion on who was the real DYKWIA in this story...
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.

Zero sympathy from me. I wouldn’t have moved your bags in this situation, but if we’re playing entitled top-trumps then you win.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by krispy84

Zero sympathy from me. I wouldn’t have moved your bags in this situation, but if we’re playing entitled top-trumps then you win.
Haha excellent I appear to have self-reported myself to the DYKWIA thread!

This isn’t the thread for the debate, but good to hear other perspectives. Ideally people like me and 1C will each end up sitting across the aisle from like minded people in future! He’ll probably be along to report us shortly...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.