Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Probably "journalist" actually means "blogger", so definitely a chancer.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Nowt wrong with propellers

Originally Posted by SDUKAG
When I worked on turboprops, playing cabin musical chairs and bringing bags up from the hold could be a feature of every leg of the day. I felt bad for the pax, many of whom were already terrified and/or miffed by the aircraft size and presence of propellers. Looking back perhaps it knocked the DYKWIA out of some potential offenders.
Late response as just back from two propelled flights in India, survived them both. I reckon I have flown well upwards of 300 flights in ATR's with propellors, and many more on Viscounts, Britannias etc before the Comet was invented. I see no reason to be terrified at all, except when the limited max altitude puts you thorugh a lot of rough weather. Indeed in the event of a problem the aircraft would glide rather better than a A380.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Not sure if this is a pure DYKWIA, but just witnessed a funny attempt to blag entry into the EDI Lounge... some guy claiming to be a journalist working on a piece about airport lounges, travelling on Ryanair, and wanted to write about this lounge

Sent on his way but it made me wonder how often this trick works?!
Did he seriously expect this to work? LMAO!
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Did he seriously expect this to work? LMAO!
He was really trying it on, took about 5 minutes before he finally gave up trying to sweet-talk his way in
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
He was really trying it on, took about 5 minutes before he finally gave up trying to sweet-talk his way in
I'm on a ski forum and one of the people on there (who sells burgers from a van) decided to become a youtube blogger. He approached hotels, restaurants, and even the ski lift company to sy he was a new journalist and was reviewing the area. He got free hotels, restaurant meals and a lift pass.
His goal was not to become a real journalist, but to simply get things for free.
A real embarrassment and "brass neck". Some people have no shame.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:55 am

2 total DYKWIA on the Lba to lhr flight tonight. It had group boarding and they walked past the queue to the front. Being British no-one said anything although lots of muttering on the gangway. They are now in 1a and 1c getting lots of dirty looks which they are impervious to.

Obviously they didnt get past me and at the front as the very best Paddington best stare was deployed. I then discussed tales of queue pushers and how ignorant some people are with those next to me in the queue.
gate4lounge, T8191, KARFA and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Feb 28, 2019 at 11:03 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
I'm on a ski forum and one of the people on there (who sells burgers from a van) decided to become a youtube blogger. He approached hotels, restaurants, and even the ski lift company to sy he was a new journalist and was reviewing the area. He got free hotels, restaurant meals and a lift pass.
His goal was not to become a real journalist, but to simply get things for free.
This is a mixture of begging and performing a confidence trick IMO. Wouldn't stoop so low just to blag a freebie.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:28 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
It can certainly work with airlines. A guy I know was reviewing QR for his blog (nothing huge or specific to airlines) and after innocently mentioning it when checking in for his economy flight, they bumped him up to business.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Some excellent boarding group DYKWIA related fun at FRA last night before the 913 back to LHR, albeit not helped by the cancellation of the 8737 to LCY at the adjacent gate. The full gamut of lane blockers, tutters, passive aggressive mutterers and widespread teeth gnashery was quite entertaining.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by PxC
It can certainly work with airlines. A guy I know was reviewing QR for his blog (nothing huge or specific to airlines) and after innocently mentioning it when checking in for his economy flight, they bumped him up to business.
Yeah, right. Pull the other one
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:10 am

Waiting to board last night’s flight to JNB, watching the pre-boarders (the GA was actively seeking out families with childen, even if they were taller than their parents) when a couple and a single guy rushed past all the people in group 1 and tried to board. The couple managed it and meantime I said to the single guy that we were all queuing. He mumbled that he was “priority” to which I said that we were all group 1. He looked somewhat bemused then embarrassed, and asked if it was ok if he waited where he was and allow us all to pass.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Yeoman5
Waiting to board last night’s flight to JNB, watching the pre-boarders (the GA was actively seeking out families with childen, even if they were taller than their parents) when a couple and a single guy rushed past all the people in group 1 and tried to board. The couple managed it and meantime I said to the single guy that we were all queuing. He mumbled that he was “priority” to which I said that we were all group 1. He looked somewhat bemused then embarrassed, and asked if it was ok if he waited where he was and allow us all to pass.
At least he took it well! The same cannot be said for many others discussed in this thread.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Witnessed some minor DYKWIA behaviour at F check in today.

Chap in the check in desk adjacent to me was overheard declaring, and arguing the point, that as he had “GOES” (read Global Entry) he did not need an ESTA.

Check in staff very politely trying to educate him that global entry was merely a fast track provision, and still requires an ESTA.

Cue, the resulting comments “no, no, you are wrong, I can assure this is not the case” “I fly to the US all the time” “in fact I flew last week and didn’t need an ESTA”.

diplomat? Maybe or probably just hot air.

Needless to say the lovely check in lady and I had a chuckle at what was obviously looking like a humiliating climb down.

Last time i reapplied for my ESTA, it was not instant. In fact it took 2 days to approve. I’m guessing he might be missing his flight.
alex67500 and Cotumely like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by 'andad
Late response as just back from two propelled flights in India, survived them both. I reckon I have flown well upwards of 300 flights in ATR's with propellors, and many more on Viscounts, Britannias etc before the Comet was invented. I see no reason to be terrified at all, except when the limited max altitude puts you thorugh a lot of rough weather. Indeed in the event of a problem the aircraft would glide rather better than a A380.
Agree. main reason for current turbofans is cabin noise, nothing fundamentally wrong with turboprop, open rotors (GE and now SAFRAN) look epic. Military carriers are usually turboprop.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
C-130 = ear defenders!!

Same could be said for the not-lamented SD-330

But our fairly recent Stobart ATR, sat right beside the prop blades, was completely painless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.