Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Me too. Because it would be even better if you didnt.
Happy to say, I didn't have clue
polinka likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
At least nobody was sitting in 11C. It happened once to my wife when she was sitting in 11C (it was another seat number but it makes it easier to have a number for the whole story). Passenger in 12C put his feet on her armrest. I was on the other side of the aisle so she started gesturing to me about the smell (pinching her nose). Wife of passenger in 12C was on the other side of the aisle in Row 12. She noticed my wife's behaviour so she was the one that told her husband to remove his feet. It's good because the next move of my wife would have been to "inadvertently" whack that smelly feet.
I'm not sure if "accidentally" dropping the cup of water the crew hand out would be considered passive aggressive or just assault ....
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I'm not sure if "accidentally" dropping the cup of water the crew hand out would be considered passive aggressive or just assault ....
Deleted

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jan 29, 2019 at 6:46 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by flyslow
Not exactly DYKWIA, but I've seen that subject discussed quite heatedly across FT.
Correct answer is - to the person sitting behind you. In current case, to lovely gentleman in 12C on BA799 today. I wouldn't even had minded that much if wasn't accompanied by overwhelming aroma bouquet.

And what also puzzles me is how is that comfortable? I physically wouldn't be able to do that even if I wanted to.
I saw something like that a few years back. The man fell asleep like that, although he had no socks...… still I saw no reason wake him up and/or stop my little girl practicing her nail varnish.
Cris L, antichef, toothy and 15 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:59 am

Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:51 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Footgate above is just a specific instance of another phenomenon called manspreading.
Not going to post any more details on that for reasons of taste.
Those who are interested can google at will.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Footgate above is just a specific instance of another phenomenon called manspreading.
Not going to post any more details on that for reasons of taste.
Those who are interested can google at will.
I think you mean 'personspreading'? I have had a woman do exactly the same to me from the seat behind me (but with a bare foot). I don't think this is gender specific!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:18 am
Suspended

Now. Bare with me. This is a tale of many DWYKIAs, me being one of them!

Boarded LHR-AUH BA73, 787-9 a few weeks ago. I had been trying to upgrade to F on the ground, but had been told the flight was full. I settled on board to my seat in 7A, while a very pleasant lady beside me in 7B sat down. She asked if I was traveling alone and If I wouldn't mind moving for her friend - (7D). I asked if they had asked the passenger in 7E if he wanted to swap into 7B - he declined saying that he had chosen this seat months in advance, and as a Million Miler on AA, he wouldn't move. Fair enough, didn't ask for your life story pal.

Anyway.

I go off to find the CSM (still boarding) as I was checking EF and found that 2F in First Class was unoccupied. I asked very politely if there was someone in 2F, and that I had asked for an upgrade on the ground, and was told the flight was full (even after check in closed). He said he would go have a wee look and he would come back to me shortly. So, I go back to 7A, and i start chatting to the lovely lady in 7B, who is still trying to find someone to swap with her or her companion, so they can sit together - no one was budging.

CSM comes back a few minutes later, with boarding almost complete, and says that 2F is indeed free and would I like to accompany him up to First Class. Well, the DWYKIA in 7E takes umbridge - "I'm a million miler on American, and I tried to upgrade with my miles and was told no." CSM smiles at the Million Miler and says "Sir, Mr. AUHDXB is a GGL member, and one of our most valued customers. I'm afraid your next few thousands miles will be in Business Class only".

Now, I did say bear with me, as this story may make me out to be a DYWKIA, or DYKWHI (Do you Know Who He Is), but I like to think that I did a good deed that day, as the lady in 7B got to move her companion into 7A, and I enjoyed a very fine flight to AUH indeed, only because I inquired about the availability of the seat, without any expectations... The look on Million Milers face was priceless though when the lady in 7B said she was a Two Million Miler and to stop showing off.

Last edited by AUHDXB; Jan 31, 2019 at 4:51 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
that story being a high-octane example of the universal truth of DYKWIA, which is that however 'special' you think your status is, there will normally be more people than you would expect surprisingly nearby who can 'out-rank' you - so always best to just keep schtum...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by AUHDXB
CSM comes back a few minutes later, with boarding almost complete, and says that 2F is indeed free and would I like to accompany him up to First Class.
Not sure I'd want BA to make a habit of that.
LTN Phobia, stu1985 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Not sure I'd want BA to make a habit of that.
You'd be asking DYKWIASNT* ?

*Do you know who I am sat next to ?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ratypus
that story being a high-octane example of the universal truth of DYKWIA, which is that however 'special' you think your status is, there will normally be more people than you would expect surprisingly nearby who can 'out-rank' you - so always best to just keep schtum...
I had a few somewhat amusing instances where a Gold sitting next to me or across the aisle or something told me that he gets special treatments from BA because he's Gold, and repeatedly said he travelled this huge amount at length, and he's really important to BA.

I didn't have the heart to tell them I'm a GGL/CCR (not that I believe I get treated particularly well by BA or that I get special treatment to be honest - maybe I should have said "Perhaps I should have my status downgraded for better treatment!" to them...)

The funniest assumption made by someone was that my husband paid for my flight in F, telling me how lucky I was to have a husband who pays for me to fly in F. That has in fact never happened even though it has happened the other way round. Again, I didn't say anything, except "Well, regardless of who pays for the flight, flying in F is quite a privilege and one should be thankful that one can do so"

What I really wanted to say perhaps is that it's best not to assume, or you might look a bit silly.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Flew on wizzair a few days ago and a rather large couple were allocated D and E seats in front of me. When they approached their seats, there was a tiny girl, no more than 18 in the window seat. They said to her (in Bulgarian) "there's no way we can all sit here, there's not enough space" to which the girl replied simply "no problem". The man then said "It is a problem" and continued to complain to her in Bulgarian. Eventually they sat down and indeed it was rather squashed. So not only was she uncomfortable, but made to feel guilty that they didn't have an empty seat next to them.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about...the number of times I've heard people banging on about being such a regular BA customer and XYZ never happens to them etc., Silver tags merrily swinging from the bag - cringe
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
What I really wanted to say perhaps is that it's best not to assume, or you might look a bit silly.
Indeed. Some years back, when my looks were still youthful, I was travelling with dad - and I got the comment, “oh, how privileged you are to have your dad pay for your F flight”. I didn’t have the heart to tell the passenger that it was the other way round - GGL bringing my lowly Blue dad on our first transatlantic trip together!
jerry305 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.