FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   I know its a first world problem, but how can I stop this happening? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1944256-i-know-its-first-world-problem-but-how-can-i-stop-happening.html)

ilcannone Dec 8, 2018 6:25 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant (Post 30511811)
On that basis if I buy a Range Rover then I should not complain about a fault in the car that affects my enjoyment of the vehicle because others do not have the mindset to drive or afford anything other than an old mini?

If a service is advertised as having benefits then these should be available.

On a recent first flight a passenger from business (I assume) was allowed to dine and drink for two or three hours which at one point resulted in the two friends being given a box of chocolates! It was only after the noise got too bad was a complaint made, and the guest was asked to leave The steward told the complainant that passengers in first class were allowed to invite guests for as long as they like.

Maybe this is a reason why drink runs out?

A 'fault'...bit vague and pretty uncomparable to simply running out of something. There's always someone making these ridiculous analogies. Also, if I understood correctly, there's only ONE type of champagne that appears to run out, which would imply others are available. If a glass of damn champagne is going to have THAT much of an effect on someone, then one should really look at themselves a bit for the reasons I previously mentioned in my other post.

simons1 Dec 8, 2018 6:34 am

As OP hasn't returned I suspect we are all taking this a bit too seriously and Caroline Martinoli can breathe more easily.

HarryHolden68 Dec 8, 2018 6:39 am

As has always been the case since the world was invented, the marketing department write cheques the accountants refuse to cash. The only variable is how close to breaking the law the accountants dare push it. What was once a none-negotiable is now considered fair game. Accept that before you buy any product from any supplier and you will be disappointed far less often.

DYKWIA Dec 8, 2018 6:49 am

Originally Posted by ilcannone (Post 30511785)
One should never forget that those of you on here lucky enough to be able to fly, even once, in a cabin that isn't economy, should consider yourself extremely fortunate. Regardless of advertising or costs or whatever, whinging about something so trivial as so many "premium fliers" do on here just makes you look ungrateful, spoilt, arrogant, and quite frankly, unappreciative of what you have.

Dwell on that while slurping your next glass of bubbly on board.

I dwelt on it for about 10 seconds, pressed the call bell, and ordered another glass*.

*On EK of course, they don't run out :)

HIDDY Dec 8, 2018 6:51 am

Maybe a supply problem....it is that time of year again.
Here the shops are full of chocolate raisins, they never seem to sell them any other time of the year. :confused:

Can I help you Dec 8, 2018 8:03 am

There are two champagnes one of which is pink plus an English sparking wine, I would be happy to drink any of them but I know this isn’t the point.

AnaTravel Dec 8, 2018 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30511955)
We carry a box for each sector so there should be enough for everyone to have at least a couple.

It would be much better to present the chocolates in individual boxes and make it easier for the FAs. It's hit and miss if a chocolate is offered. Passengers notice these little things and attention to detail is important in a service advertised as F class. Inconsistent service, at the most basic level, should be easy to correct. Some of the best service I have received in the last year on BA has been on CE LHR to EDI. Some professional, hard -working staff have demonstrated what BA is capable of. On other flights - CW and F - I have experienced some of the worst service.

AnaTravel Dec 8, 2018 9:34 am

Originally Posted by ilcannone (Post 30511785)
One should never forget that those of you on here lucky enough to be able to fly, even once, in a cabin that isn't economy, should consider yourself extremely fortunate. Regardless of advertising or costs or whatever, whinging about something so trivial as so many "premium fliers" do on here just makes you look ungrateful, spoilt, arrogant, and quite frankly, unappreciative of what you have.

Dwell on that while slurping your next glass of bubbly on board.

The OP alluded to the nature of the problem being 'first world'. In that context the post seems perfectly reasonable. Paying for a service that includes a featured champagne means that it should be delivered (or an acceptable substitute of similar value). It is not an issue of entitlement but reasonable expectation. Companies failing to deliver what they promise should be held to account.

HIDDY Dec 8, 2018 9:37 am

Originally Posted by AnaTravel (Post 30512669)
It would be much better to present the chocolates in individual boxes and make it easier for the FAs. .

I'd be more than happy with that.

Although I suspect some people would see that as being naff. :rolleyes:

AnaTravel Dec 8, 2018 9:43 am

Heh. Hiddy, I'd rather not have chocolates from a box that has been passed around the cabin or left in the open in front of passengers. Also, making the FAs monitors of how many each people take is ridiculous. They have enough to do.

Flexible preferences Dec 8, 2018 9:44 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 30512347)
I dwelt on it for about 10 seconds, pressed the call bell, and ordered another glass*.

*On EK of course, they don't run out :)

Oh really? ;)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...5m-flight.html

subject2load Dec 8, 2018 9:48 am

Originally Posted by AnaTravel (Post 30512669)
It would be much better to present the chocolates in individual boxes and make it easier for the FAs. It's hit and miss if a chocolate is offered. Passengers notice these little things and attention to detail is important in a service advertised as F class. Inconsistent service, at the most basic level, should be easy to correct. ................

Passengers do indeed notice ; and that’s why a number of the top carriers hand out individual boxes, generally with two choccies in each (and a second box later, if supplies permit ;))

Not only is the hit & miss scenario which you describe thereby avoided ...... but if you’re feeling full after a heavy meal, you then get to take them with you to enjoy later in your hotel (or at home).

HIDDY Dec 8, 2018 9:58 am

Originally Posted by AnaTravel (Post 30512763)
Also, making the FAs monitors of how many each people take is ridiculous. They have enough to do.

On the few F flights I've had nobody seemed to show much interest in the chocolates to be honest.

AnaTravel Dec 8, 2018 10:07 am

The point is related to consistent service standards. Failing to give people the choice to decline or accept a chocolate is the point. Or serving some of the cabin and ignoring the rest. Attention to detail is part of great service.

subject2load Dec 8, 2018 10:20 am

Originally Posted by AnaTravel (Post 30512736)
The OP alluded to the nature of the problem being 'first world'. In that context the post seems perfectly reasonable. Paying for a service that includes a featured champagne means that it should be delivered (or an acceptable substitute of similar value). It is not an issue of entitlement but reasonable expectation. Companies failing to deliver what they promise should be held to account.

You’re absolutely right.

It would be all too easy to describe so many aspects of First Class travel as being ‘trivial’ - whether that be the brand of champagne offered, the range of accompaniments presented with caviar, the way in which a fillet steak has been cooked ....... and so on. It could include even the type of chauffeured car sent to pick you up / drop you off, or the cleanliness of an onboard shower room.

In the greater scheme of things, we all know that these facilities are in no way crucial to one’s health & well-being - and their absence has little in the way of serious consequence. But when they are heavily advertised & promoted as being exclusively available in return for a premium fare level, then it is to be expected that the supplier should consistently provide what they claim they will.

In the real world, things go wrong. But when they do, any criticism should be directed towards the party who failed to meet their commitment - NOT to the paying customer.