FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   I know its a first world problem, but how can I stop this happening? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1944256-i-know-its-first-world-problem-but-how-can-i-stop-happening.html)

antipest Dec 6, 2018 10:02 am

I know its a first world problem, but how can I stop this happening?

Ok, as the title says.... But I am officially annoyed.

I flew back in F from PVG in May and GRU last week and on both occasions they have run out of Grand Siecle rather quickly after take off. I have taken 4 return trips in F this year and they have run out on 2 occasions I make this a 50% failure rate and unacceptable. This is along with no claret and rose fizz.

I am flying back from PVG on New Years eve on a day flight and I would dearly love to enjoy a glass or two with wifey and 2 other friends in the cabin, what worries me is that the people celebrating on the way out will have drunk the 'return flights share'. Would it be worth writing to someone higher up the food chain (Carolina Martinoli)? In the hope that this stops happening or do the knowledgable amongst you think I am wasting paper and ink?

On the ex PVG flight the FSM filled in a complaint form and I get some random reply not answering the complaint. On the latest flight the CSD filled in a report and I received 6500 Avios, but I have heard nothing from CS.

Don't get me wrong, I am not after special favours I just want to try and get what is part of the First offering without being told "sorry its all gone".

Is this a common problem running out of GS or have I just been unlucky?

Thanks.

FlyerTalker39574 Dec 6, 2018 10:12 am

“Sorry it has all gone” saves them money and improves shareholder value. It’s a hard nosed business and it probably won’t change.

Often1 Dec 6, 2018 10:15 am

There is nothing you can do. BA is beyond unlikely to change either the return catering or limit the use of return-catered items on the outbound as this is a problem for all manner of catered items in all classes.

Thus, I would enjoy the trip, not expect anything different than on previous flights and be pleasantly surprised if anything different occurs.

Do not for a minute think that BA has not thought this through. Rather, it has come to the conclusion that its current practice is just fine. For ULH flights, every extra spoon affects the weight - fuel - distance formula.

bermudasun Dec 6, 2018 10:18 am

Originally Posted by antipest (Post 30505513)

On the ex PVG flight the FSM filled in a complaint form and I get some random reply not answering the complaint. On the latest flight the CSD filled in a report and I received 6500 Avios, but I have heard nothing from CS.

You are lucky I had the same issue and got nothing! I do find it very cheap that they do this but its not going to change......

jerry a. laska Dec 6, 2018 10:22 am

I flew back in F from PVG in May and GRU last week and on both occasions they have run out of Grand Siecle rather quickly after take off. I have taken 4 return trips in F this year and they have run out on 2 occasions I make this a 50% failure rate and unacceptable. This is along with no claret and rose fizz.

I am flying back from PVG on New Years eve on a day flight and I would dearly love to enjoy a glass or two with wifey and 2 other friends in the cabin, what worries me is that the people celebrating on the way out will have drunk the 'return flights share'. Would it be worth writing to someone higher up the food chain (Carolina Martinoli)? In the hope that this stops happening or do the knowledgable amongst you think I am wasting paper and ink?

Don't get me wrong, I am not after special favours I just want to try and get what is part of the First offering without being told "sorry its all gone".

Is this a common problem running out of GS or have I just been unlucky?

Thanks.

It seems to be a fairly common complaint.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-outbound.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...e-takeoff.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tanqueray.html

Can I help you Dec 6, 2018 10:35 am

There is nothing you can do other than not worrying about it.

AndyFlyer Dec 6, 2018 10:43 am

You could always buy a bottle or two at duty free, and if they run out on board, ask the crew to chill your bottles down and serve it just to you. And if they don't run out, you have some fizz for a later date at home! It stops your worrying, no?

OverTheHorizon Dec 6, 2018 10:48 am

Originally Posted by AndyFlyer (Post 30505620)
You could always buy a bottle or two at duty free, and if they run out on board, ask the crew to chill your bottles down and serve it just to you. And if they don't run out, you have some fizz for a later date at home! It stops your worrying, no?

So BOB becomes BYOB .... in F :eek: :eek: :eek: - you really couldn't make it up :(

P.S. appreciate your post is probably tongue in cheek, but still...

ilcannone Dec 6, 2018 11:22 am

*huge facepalm*

muscat Dec 6, 2018 11:26 am

Drink faster, or ask for your first glass to be in a tumbler or coffee mug. (Like the other passengers)

marshy11 Dec 6, 2018 12:24 pm

That last 4 flights in F for me have been a FWPD (First World Problem Disappointment) as far as our choice of "fizz" is concerned.

I live in the Camel Valley and on every single of those F flights we have had a wine menu with Camel Valley Sparkling on. We both love it (it's less than £30) and we both prefer it to LPGS. On all occasions they have only loaded 1 bottle. I think that is very poor. To list a wine on a menu in F and only have 1 bottle isn't F by anyone's standards.

I feel your pain, if not your taste buds.

livebetter_travelmore Dec 6, 2018 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30505549)
There is nothing you can do.

Vote with your wallet/feet. Fly a different carrier.

mario Dec 6, 2018 12:39 pm

Buy a bottle of LPGS or equivalent at duty free.
If they don't run out, you get to take the bottle home.
If they run out, ask the crew to open your bottle(s).
Send the bill to BA, which I'm sure they'll pay.
if they don't, claim it via Small Claims Court.

​​​​​​

Skipcool3 Dec 6, 2018 12:42 pm

Look for alternatives for the return sector?

simons1 Dec 6, 2018 12:42 pm

Would it be worth writing to someone higher up the food chain (Carolina Martinoli)? In the hope that this stops happening or do the knowledgable amongst you think I am wasting paper and ink?

Good sense of humour I must say....

flygod Dec 6, 2018 1:37 pm

Surely someone higher up the drink chain?

jackcarr Dec 6, 2018 1:42 pm

Please email Alex Cruz to request more champagne is loaded for your flight and let us know how you got on.

simons1 Dec 6, 2018 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by jackcarr (Post 30506276)
Please email Alex Cruz to request more champagne is loaded for your flight and let us know how you got on.

Willie Walsh, surely?

Theresa May is a bit busy,.

frandrake Dec 6, 2018 2:24 pm

Best way to get heard is to fly with someone else.

When I fly east, I actively avoid BA even if it costs me one stop (which btw is double TP).

AlastairGordon Dec 6, 2018 2:58 pm

Private jet. Problem solved.

HIDDY Dec 6, 2018 3:08 pm

Did they offer another brand of Champagne instead?

omk298 Dec 6, 2018 4:19 pm

Running out shortly after take off? Lucky you. We had our first First from GRU earlier this week and they ran out before we'd left the ground. They offered round the "champagne from business class" after that.

I can't say we were particularly bothered by it though.

danboy767 Dec 6, 2018 4:20 pm

Ask them to get a bottle from Y. I have never known wine to run out back there!!!!! 😀

harryhv Dec 6, 2018 4:29 pm

It's not just champagne that runs out in BA F - they don't load enough meal choices. If you want to get your first choice meal, pre-order it or you'll run the risk of getting the last-worst meal that no-one else wanted

LCY8737 Dec 7, 2018 12:05 am

Highland Spring water. Much better to keep you hydrated than this French stuff: No spinning head, no head ache the next day.

subject2load Dec 7, 2018 12:11 am

@ antipest

My advice (FWIW !!) revolves around four points :

1. Yes, take a few minutes to write to whomsoever you think might be a relevant sounding board within BA for your feelings and sense of disappointment ; but do so in the full knowledge that you are unlikely to receive anything constructive, reassuring, or useful, by way of response.

2. Look beyond BA - or even beyond OW alliance members, depending on your own needs & priorities - and consider putting some or all of your future custom with another carrier/s ; airlines where a much higher quality of First class travel can be experienced. This applies to both hard & soft product, including overall service standards. A quick trawl through the archives of this BAEC sub-forum and various other fora here on FT, and elsewhere, will give a wider, interesting perspective.

3. Above all, manage your expectations ahead of any premium cabin flight (regardless of airline), and accept that the picture painted in marketing & promotional literature will often be some way removed from reality. The mismatch - and most notably, the level of inconsistency - can be apparent in all carriers, although my personal view is that it is more common with BA than with most airlines I have used (and I have flown with 84, to date)

4. Keep a sense of balance by remembering that virtually any consumer-orientated business can potentially let you down at one point or another. It’s then a matter of judging whether paying a higher price will help minimise the chances of such failings being a rare occurrence, in contrast to the 50% risk factor that you mention in the report of your recent BA journeys, and which you (understandably) describe as ‘unacceptable’.

Safe travels ..... Bonne chance ;)

fotographer Dec 7, 2018 4:41 am

or do what I do, have a couple pints at the airport, 1 g and T on the plane and then raid the chocolate selection in the galley

subject2load Dec 7, 2018 5:07 am

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 30508391)
or do what I do, have a couple pints at the airport, 1 g and T on the plane and then raid the chocolate selection in the galley

Whoah !

One G&T, and then raiding the chocolate supplies.

That’s a crazy rockstar life you lead ....... ^ :D

noddie09 Dec 7, 2018 6:00 am

Completely agree! I flew back from Mexico last week and they didn't have any champagne to offer us. Hard to believe this is acceptable considering the price of the ticket.

fotographer Dec 7, 2018 6:01 am

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 30508428)

Whoah !

One G&T, and then raiding the chocolate supplies.

That’s a crazy rockstar life you lead ....... ^ :D

It is but keep in mind the chocolates are for my wife.
Also keep in mind, no matter how much I tell the FA, fill the glass with ice first or bring me a glass of ice, there is never enough ice (I know I am just that way)

ajeleonard Dec 7, 2018 6:54 am

If it's "not acceptable" then don't accept it and fly some other way then BA F. If you continue to book then it is, in practice, 'acceptable'

People's hyperbole on FT rarely matches their real world actions

SteveF Dec 7, 2018 7:13 am

Would it be worth writing to someone higher up the food chain (Carolina Martinoli)? In the hope that this stops happening or do the knowledgable amongst you think I am wasting paper and ink?

Email it. The result will be the same, but at least you'll only be wasting your time and electricity.

RollAnotherFatOne Dec 7, 2018 7:18 am

the only way to be heard now is some kind of shaming exercise, probably via twitter.
companies just care about how they are perceived by the masses, rather than the experiences they actually purvey. customer service has been replaced by social media and it's 'influencers' (puke).
it's very pathetic. apologies for everything once on twitter, as if that makes it alright. iphone at the ready..

SteveF Dec 7, 2018 7:30 am

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne (Post 30508759)
the only way to be heard now is some kind of shaming exercise, probably via twitter.
companies just care about how they are perceived by the masses, rather than the experiences they actually purvey. customer service has been replaced by social media and it's 'influencers' (puke).
it's very pathetic. apologies for everything once on twitter, as if that makes it alright. iphone at the ready..

Do you really think that the "masses" will care if one brand of Champagne has run out in the posh seats while they are crammed in like sardines at the back? I somehow think not. More likely the DM will run a story the next day about snowflake millionaires whinging while the poor suffer.

RollAnotherFatOne Dec 7, 2018 7:36 am

Originally Posted by SteveF (Post 30508798)
Do you really think that the "masses" will care if one brand of Champagne has run out in the posh seats while they are crammed in like sardines at the back? I somehow think not. More likely the DM will run a story the next day about snowflake millionaires whinging while the poor suffer.

True that the masses and ordinary folk aren't for details, and more for outrage.
It probably is too unreasonable to distill it into a debate about whether it's acceptable to have a service marketed that isn't delivered.
I'm definitely living in the wrong age as what is logical rarely seems to be what is presented in the media. Sad but true.
Completely agree that we should just give up and accept this poor service, especially as I really hate social media and wish there was some way to get away from this kind of made up 'news'.

Worcester Dec 7, 2018 8:10 am

If you do provide your own Champagne what are the chances that someone else will request some and the crew sneakily provide them a glass?

subject2load Dec 7, 2018 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 30508890)
If you do provide your own Champagne what are the chances that someone else will request some and the crew sneakily provide them a glass?

Not much of a fizz fan myself, but I do know that a standard (750 ml) bottle of the stuff should five champagne glasses. So, not too difficult to work out who’s been drinking MY bubbly ..... :eek:

fotographer Dec 7, 2018 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 30508890)

or maybe having a glass themselves (ok just kidding)

RollAnotherFatOne Dec 7, 2018 8:23 am

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 30508907)
or maybe having a glass themselves (ok just kidding)

I've heard all sorts of stories about collecting all the leftover booze and taking it back to their apartments to party the night away.
I would reserve judgement as to whether this is why my preferred drink is never available!
These days I just stick to diet coke.

flydrive Dec 7, 2018 8:34 am

This reminds me of when I was returning on Air France from CDG to LHR business and they had no wine. I half jokingly tweeted "Air France has run out of wine in business class. What is the world coming to?" and promptly received a £100 voucher from AF. Not bad for going without a glass for 45 minutes... I do think that was a catering mess up rather than purposeful parsimony, though.